Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question..

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
If you feel your child should save up to buy something they want, how do you decide what you will or will not buy?

I've seen comments of making children buy anything from a year book to the tv post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momof2CuteGirlz
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I pay for all clothes, shoes, school items, sports, activities, food, trips, etc.  I pretty much pay for everything.  BUT my 12 yo now wants a Macbook Air laptop and there is no way I'm buying that!  So I told her if she saves 1/2 the money for it, I might buy it for her (so basically I would pay 1/2, about what I would pay for a "normal" laptop if I bought her one).

2boysmommy.js
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM
we pay for everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaLeeMaLa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I let my son do chores for something he wants that is not necessity but I guess it depends on the item, right now he is 8 and all he cares about are Pokemon cards and toys so for now those are things he can earn by doing simple chores or doing well with his school work.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I usaally went by cost and need. Nothing really really expensive! I usually got that stuff for gifts for him!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:01 PM

It's that whole want vs. need dilema.  You may need a computer, but you want a Mac.  You may need a cellphone, but you want an iphone.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

It's that whole want vs. need dilema.  You may need a computer, but you want a Mac.  You may need a cellphone, but you want an iphone.

Exactly.  So far my kids don't really ask for things that much.  Sure, they see something on TV and say "i want that" but they aren't asking and begging and, really, when the commercial is over they forget about it.

My 8 year old has asked for a cell phone but I told her that she would have to pay for it and when i told her how much it is, she said "forget it."

janitablue
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

To be honest I won't let my son save up for something. He is six it is perfect age to teach him responsible, an d money skills.  We talk and let him mom does not have the money or his dad to him about his wants and needs. He really don't ask for some much expect for Pokemon card. If it something like a game. He has to show good work in school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM

We don't really have a formula for it. I guess we provide his needs, and then we'll get him gifts and sometimes decide to reward him with a small toy or gift.

We just started doing an allowance again this summer, and so we'll probably make him buy a lot more of his wants with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)