• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

arsenic in your kids apple juice?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM
  • 25 Replies

thats right thats what im hearing right now as im watching dr.oz. the fda allows 10 per billion parts in our drinking water the name brands (apple juice)have much more! this is not only scary but appalling to me. i as a mother do not allow a lot of juice in the house but i just love knowing that i am feeding my kid poison when i do give her a box of apple and eve. The one that got me the most was gerber! If you want to know  more go to http://www.dr.oz.com/. i could rant all day about this but i will leave it up to every one else to decide what they think in the mean time i know what will NOT be on my shopping list!  

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krilerby
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I totally just saw that!  Luckily, my kids don't tolerate apple juice well.  I only buy it if we are having a problem 'going'. LOL. 

What struck me as odd, was the fact that none of the companies would return his phone calls or come on the show.. I agree with the moms that there really needs to be a standard set on this.

3rdsacharm2011
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM
It's not only in the juice, it's in your water. FDA allows arsenic on our water systems. The solution is getting a filter to take it out. I highly recommend Multipure drinking water systems. We have one as the rest of my family. There is one that has the arsenic gauge in when to change your filter. Pur, brit a, this either brands aren't cutting it! This is serious stuff. Good luck
lizzig
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM

not surprising.  many would be shocked if they knew all that is "acceptable" in the foods & drinks we ingest daily.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I believe it! Its crazy what the food manufacturers get away with!

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Isn't there arsenic in apple seeds? If so, I'm not surprised then that there would be some in the apple juice.

Mare1180
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:10 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mare1180
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Dr. Oz and his team recently tested five popular brands of apple juice and found elevated levels of arsenic. Mind you, "elevated" is not a trivial amount. It means levels higher than what's allowed in drinking water. It means levels you might not want to be consuming daily, or even weekly, because arsenic likes to build up in your system. It's not a visitor; it's a permanent house guest who never leaves but just keeps getting bigger and more obnoxious.

Out of 36 samples (they tested the same brands multiple times just to be thorough), 10 exceeded the limits for drinking water set by the EPA, and some even measured above "levels of concern." Those levels are based on people consuming just 4 ounces a day. Who stops at just 4 ounces? Not even most children.

"As a doctor and a parent, it's concerning to me that there could be toxins such as arsenic in juice we are giving to our kids," said Dr. Oz. "While we do not know of any cases of poisonings, we do know that arsenic is a substance that shouldn't be in food and could be associated with various public health problems such as cancer."

He thinks we should have standards for allowable levels of arsenic for juice just like we do for water. Oh, ya think, Dr. Oz? And what the hell is arsenic doing in apple juice in the first place?!

Maybe we should blame China. Oh, you didn't know we import apple juice from China? Well, we do. You will recall the fun we had with melamine-tainted food a while back. Good times. The U.S. has banned the use of arsenic in pesticides, but we have no control over what comes in from other countries. Even if we weren't importing apple juice, arsenic can sneak into apples from contaminated soil and water here at home.

Some might say, "Eh, I drink apple juice all the time and I'm not dead yet." But I'm getting a little tired of hearing about friends and family members getting cancer after living otherwise healthy lives. I'm trying to minimize my exposure to toxins, so I would like to know which foods out there may have "elevated" levels of arsenic in them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mare1180
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Gerber & Motts were #1  highest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaderica
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Quoting Barabell:

Isn't there arsenic in apple seeds? If so, I'm not surprised then that there would be some in the apple juice.

Yes, believe you're right. Arsenic is present in many fruit seeds- grapes, apples, pomagranates, etc. This is not that shocking, folks. 

Fields456
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM
I don't buy the concentrated crap. Dd likes fresh squeezed or juiced better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)