Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bullying @ School- [5th Grade]

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

Yesterday my son came home & told me a student in his class-room told him he can & will beat him up!!!  In my opinion this borders on bullying. This morning I called the school office, we have a meeting today with his teacher & VP.

It's only the 5th week of school, yikes!!  My son is like a sleeping lion, very calm in demeanor.  He is however a karate student for 3yrs in Tae-kwon-do.  So he understands & practices: Courtesy, integrity, perseverance, & self control.  Plus~ just 2wks ago, my son was honored with a certificate for being "Student of the Week" for display of courtesy & respect to all student's & teacher's!!  

Has anyone encountered any bullying activity regarding your children?  I'd love to hear your experiences & how it was dealt with.

stop bullyingBullying Stop Here!

While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
Angela Schwindt

by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ann7227
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Same here !!! My son said the boy pushed him at lunch and later told him he was lucky teachers where around because he would beat him. My son is in 5th grade and is special needs. I called the teacher and principle today. Both where going to work on keeping them separated. Good luck !!!

duets
by Member on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Here's a link that may help, we do have rights! 

http://www.lawsandlegal.com/is-your-school-bullying-you-know-your-rights.htm

While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
Angela Schwindt

Ann7227
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Thank you.

Quoting duets:

Here's a link that may help, we do have rights! 

http://www.lawsandlegal.com/is-your-school-bullying-you-know-your-rights.htm

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM

The DARE program is actually a drug and alcohol awareness program, not about bullying.

I've only ever had one incident where another boy said that he wanted to beat up my son.  I sent the principal an email and she said that she was looking into it and would handle it according to the district policy.  End of story.

duets
by Member on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Parents must educate themselves on the school's policies regarding bullying & file appropriate complaint- immediately with school officials.  Remember bullying can be displayed in several forms: verbal, physical, sexual.

"Schools' policies on discipline and bullying"

Your child's school must have a discipline policy which includes what it does to stop bullying. If your child is bullied, you should tell the school straight away. Legally, the school must do all that it reasonably can to protect children from bullying.

The school's discipline policy and any school rules must be based on the governors' statement on how children should behave (which all schools must have). Under the Human Rights Act 1998, any punishment or treatment must not be 'inhuman or degrading'. It must be suitable taking into account what the child has done.

Physical punishment like smacking, caning or shaking a child is illegal in all schools. School staff may use 'reasonable force' to stop a child:

Angela Schwindt

duets
by Member on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

The DARE program is actually a drug and alcohol awareness program, not about bullying.

I've only ever had one incident where another boy said that he wanted to beat up my son.  I sent the principal an email and she said that she was looking into it and would handle it according to the district policy.  End of story.

My Oops- thanks for the clarification.  Son just told me they had a special program about NO BULLYING- zero tolerence that all student's had to attend.

Angela Schwindt

duets
by Member on Oct. 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM

School Bullying - Know Your Legal Rights

"All forms of bullying are unacceptable and can cause unhappiness and long term effects on a child's self-esteem. If your child is showing signs of being bullied at school, they may be afraid of admitting to it for fear of retaliation by the bully, or fear of being teased by other children. Its important to assure your child that it is in his or her best interest to come forward when bullying is occurring. If you continue to suspect bulling may be occurring, but your child is still withholding, consider speaking with a school counselor or principle."

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5567

duets
by Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM

10/9- Sunday night on CNN, Anderson Cooper is  doing a special on Bullying.  The show will air around 8pm.

10/10- Monday night on HLN, @ 9pm, Dr Drew is doing a special on Bullying.

*plzz check the time in your area for viewing, fyi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)