Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Girl Scouts - worth it or not?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM
  • 25 Replies

My seven year old now wants to join Girl Scouts - on top of soccer, swimming, etc.  What I really want to know is, is it worth the time/effort?  As soon as we met the other scouts at the sign up, we were shown the current fundraiser - apparently they have to sell a lot more than cookies these days ?  I'm concerned that it's going to be a huge time and financial committment, although the initial registration is only $12, there's troop fees, outing fees, uniform fees, patches to buy, activities to pay for, etc.  If your daughter is in scouts, is she really getting anything out of it?  I want the truth - good, bad, or otherwise!!  Please help!

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:13 PM

It really depends on your troop.

My girls get a LOT out of girl scouts.  We love it. 

You can spend as much or as little as you want.

You don't have to sell any products (we don't, but we do donate money to each of the troops), uniforms and books are not required (we have vests, but our troops share one book, we don't feel they each need their own). 

I personally think, if you get a good active troop girl scouts can be a huge learning experience, and be tons of fun. 

mom2queenie2004
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I agree. It does depend on the troop, the leader and the other girls involved.

My girls both love their troops. It does take some time up, and because our troops are pretty active sometimes it seems like there is always something to pay for, but of course you don't have to do everything. Our girls have a monthly budget for GS. They get $10 each, $5 of that is for their dues and the other $5 is for any extras... or they can save it for the next month.

blue_glass_mama
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM

My dd has been in scouts for years now and it is not actually that much, for example she was in daisy scouts and that vest lasted two years, and the browine sash lasted three years and now this her second year of jr. girl scouts sash. I know they sell nuts and magazines in the fall now and I personally hate that because I am allergic to nuts, but I also do not know anyone with money right now, everyone I know has no extra money for girls scout or boy scout fundraisers, so we sell very little!! I am not sure if she gets alot out of it, but it is a social thing for her to do, they took a big trip last summer, it almost made me not want her to go back this year, but I would like her to finish all the years now that she started.

riotgrrl
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM

My daughter is in Daisies. This is her second year. She loves it. The fund raisers are kind of a PITA, but they end up covering all the troop fees, patches, etc out of that and also keep the activity fees down to a minimum as well. They did a lot of fun and educational activities as well as a lot of community service activities. The leaders respond really well to the girls' interests and talents as they plan activities and the girls have formed good friendships. My DD is very active and agile but not very competitive by nature so this has been a very good alternative to sports as an extracurricular activity for her. 

I think mostly it is going to depend on your local leaders. There isn't a huge upfront cost to give it a shot so I would try it out.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Both my girls are in girl scouts. I am actually the leader of my 7 dd troup. I think it has been a great experience for both my daughters. I know in my troop and my older dd's there is little out of pocket cost. The money we earn from nut sales and cookies pretty much funds the activities
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaliwilli
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Hi my daughter is 8 years old and has been involved with Scouts since she was in K-4 she was a Daisy in K-5 and 1st grade then last year and this year she is in Brownies the cost is not bad and if you need help with fees you can ask the girl scout councel for help. My daughter likes brownies.

endurablemist
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM

I agree it depends on the leader. We had an excellent leader the first 2 years of scouts. (Daisys) Last year was her first year as a Brownie and the leader was terrible. We didnt do a lot and she was all about earning badges even if the girls did not understand itt. We have the same leader but I am going with it for another year, since Sarah really enjoys it.

Our troop sells the nuts and magazines, and the cookies. The money we earn goes to activity's, next years registration that kind of thing. Our dues are only $1 a week, that helps with the cost of badges and other little things. I have not had to buy her vest since the first Daisy one, because the daisy leader used the money at the end of daisy's to buy them their Brownie one.

I know the Junior group went to Washington DC last year, so they had extra fund raisers, yard sales and tickets, they put on a magic show. As the girls get older I'm sure the cost goes up, since they can do more. I know summer day camp has financial aide to help the cost if you can't afford that, but once again that came from our troop.

Shaylyn318
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 7:48 AM

My DD is 7 and this is her first year as a Girl Scout. So far we have only had one meeting. We meet two Saturdays a month.Sign up was $12, meeting fee is $.50. We got the fall fundraiser, we do not have to sell anything. The price of the nuts and candy is not that bad IMO, I have seen way worse prices in the school fundraiser.  She earns patches for doing certain things with the fundraiser. Filling out the address book, get a patch, sell 8 nut products, get a patch, two magazine subscriptions get a patch.

There is a Girls Scout group you could join to get even more info if you need it.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM
Im signing dd up today. She is going to be a daisy. Im going to tall to them about fimancial aid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I agree, it depends on your troop. 

Each individual troop decides when to meet, how often, what the dues are (this is different from the $12), if any.  

With our troop, it's $25 for the entire year. The troop leaders buy the patches. As far as outings, for our troop, it's a very small minimal amount. I think the most being $5. 

For cookies, in our troop, you don't HAVE to sell the cookies, but keep in mind, this money is for the troop. Plus, I know for us, cookies are an easy sell. 

My daughter loves it and enjoys it, for me? Yes, it's worth it.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)