Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Going to school to be an elem. teacher...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to school to be an elementary school teacher and I wanted to get tips from the moms point of view to help me make a great classroom! Feel free to leave any tips or ideas! thank you!

simple smileangel

by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
janitablue
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting abmaddox1981:

Just leave yourself open to listen to parents concerns. Yes, a lot of parents are convinced that their kid is a gifted genious when they are just passable, but not all parents are like that.

This and be open with your communication to the parents as possible.  Use whatever modes work to communicate to your parents.

As for the kids, I feel they need discipline and routine.  Discipline does not always need something bad but acknowledge their good behaviors.  My daughter's 2nd grade teacher did have a "green, yellow, and red" discipline strategy but, more importantly, anyone that stayed on green got a stamp on her hand for the day.  I always looked for it when we got home because if she had it, i knew she was good that day.  So, not only did she get acknowledged for her good behavior with her teacher, I also acknowledged her good behavior at home (which is something she encouraged us to do).  As a result, a lot of kids didn't have behavior issues which made it easier for her to teach.

I agreed. Good luck.

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Good luck!!!

soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Good luck!  I teach high school so it's very different. 

family in the van   Mom of four

hollydaze1974
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM
Ask the kids what they expect from you...they will be more open to your expectations if you "initiate contact" so to speak. Kids are more likely to see you as someone who deserves their respect if you have them write that down. You can then go through the paper and write or tell why or why not an expectation they mention will be followed.

Oh! And teachers talk about "problem"students whether it's allowed or not. Please start all children off with a clean slate, you can't be sure it wasn't just a personality conflict
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Welcome to the group, and congrats on your career choice!

Mommy0505
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Very cool!  What age/grade range are you going for for your degree?

DJAKoala
by Debbie on Oct. 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM

That is wonderful, best of luck.

Be consistant, open line of communication with expectations to studends and parents. Compasion, structure.And make it FUN to learn.

KVPeters22
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

thank you very much to everyone.

Im thinking 1st-3rd grade. Im  very creative person and I feel that those ages are when they are most open to learnign and creativity.

LoveMyBabies83
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher and a parent I can say you want a classroom that is welcoming, not too cluttered and organized.  Design a classroom with a good flow.... so that kids aren't running into each other when moving between one area and another... Use your entire first week to teach nothing but procedures, rules, consequences, etc... and your class will be a well oiled machine lol!  This knocks out a lot of issues before they begin...and flat out if you don't take recess for misbehavior you will NEVER get anyone to listen to you lol!  Recess is worth more than gold bars to elementary kids...  If you're concerned with energy being run off, then have them do exercises during recess as opposed to free play.... they can be sent to "boot camp."  jumping jacks, push ups, jogging, etc...  As far as parent communication goes, always keep the line open, but do not open yourself up to abuse from parents.  Invite them to write/email you regarding any concerns....  and you will respond in a timely manner, whether it's by phone on your planning period or by letter, etc...  you can't spend your whole day on the phone with parents. 

drivnkids
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

my biggest complaint about elem teaches is that there room is way to buzy. it hurts my own eyes. keep it symple and the focuse at the board that you are working on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)