Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Going to school to be an elem. teacher...

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM
  • 32 Replies

I'm going to school to be an elementary school teacher and I wanted to get tips from the moms point of view to help me make a great classroom! Feel free to leave any tips or ideas! thank you!

simple smileangel

by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abmaddox1981
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Just leave yourself open to listen to parents concerns. Yes, a lot of parents are convinced that their kid is a gifted genious when they are just passable, but not all parents are like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

First of all Congrats and Good Luck!

So far we've been very blessed with my DD's teachers. She is in 3rd this year. Everyone of them has been great. They all had open door policies that I could come with any questions or concerns. They treated me and hubby with respect. We all worked as a team to iron out any issues. My daughter cries every year on the last day of school that her teacher that year was the best one ever! That's a huge step from a kid who wouldn't even talk to anybody for the whole 1st week of kindergarten.

jen113000
by Jenna on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to offer a good luck and congrats!

KVPeters22
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Thank you! and i will definately keep an open mind. Its nice to get other parents opinions

bamababe1975
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Take time to get to know the students, listen to parents and students, and make sure both students and parents feel they can trust you.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck. I dont really have advice. I could never do it (not enough patients).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Congratulations.  Inspriring young minds is such a worthwhile endeavor.  I have two boys that I homeschool and it is a lot of work but very much worth every second.  My advice is to above all else encourage, inspire, and develope their curiosity about the world around them. 

natesmom1228
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Good luck and welcome to the group

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Quoting abmaddox1981:

Just leave yourself open to listen to parents concerns. Yes, a lot of parents are convinced that their kid is a gifted genious when they are just passable, but not all parents are like that.

This and be open with your communication to the parents as possible.  Use whatever modes work to communicate to your parents.

As for the kids, I feel they need discipline and routine.  Discipline does not always need something bad but acknowledge their good behaviors.  My daughter's 2nd grade teacher did have a "green, yellow, and red" discipline strategy but, more importantly, anyone that stayed on green got a stamp on her hand for the day.  I always looked for it when we got home because if she had it, i knew she was good that day.  So, not only did she get acknowledged for her good behavior with her teacher, I also acknowledged her good behavior at home (which is something she encouraged us to do).  As a result, a lot of kids didn't have behavior issues which made it easier for her to teach.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Do not take away recess from kids acting up, instead have them do something active to run off the energy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN