Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Going to school to be an elem. teacher...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to school to be an elementary school teacher and I wanted to get tips from the moms point of view to help me make a great classroom! Feel free to leave any tips or ideas! thank you!

simple smileangel

by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
bupkie
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this

As a parent of a now 4th grade NT, and an 8th grade child with high functioning Aspergers, I have seen repeatedly how positive reinforcement goes a lot further than negative consequences.  

Keep a positive attitude towards parents (don't view it as abuse).  You and the parents are a "team", they aren't your "opponents".   Be positive, and offer encouragement instead of "criticism"... and hopefully the students and parents will do the same.  

Always keep in mind that all children learn differently.  Most in Elementary are visual and tactile learners, very few at that age are auditory learners.    

Always do your best to remember what it was like to be a child and what MOTIVATES them!  

When you care about them, they care about themselves, others, what they are doing, learning, and enjoy being at school.  

Oh, and that one kid who you can't figure out our you think doesn't like you?  There is something different but you can't figure it out... It's not you at all!  And don't think he doesn't like you.  He needs some help with some type of issues... but no one has figured out what they are yet!  You might be the one to help make that huge difference in his life.   Yes, you!!!!  

LoveMyBabies83
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I wish there was a love button!!!

LoveMyBabies83
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

And please know.... I did not mean that teachers view communication with parents as abuse....  Most teachers would give a left pinky toe for more involved, caring parents.... and you sound like one of those so please come bring your kids to my class haha!!!! Unfortunately, you are few and far between... what we mostly get are parents (for often legit reasons like work etc...) who just don't have a lot of time to be involved and simply do the best they can (these are A-OK in my book too lol... I get it... tough times = tough choices), parents who simply don't care what's going on with their child when they're at school and are bothered by being "bothered" when we contact them.... or parents who are flat out abusive, condescending and down right mean.  It's truly a shame.  I am by NO means an expert or some perfect Mary Poppins lol... but for heaven's sake... I am working my tush off to better YOUR child... leaving my children to be with your children.. and I'm responsible for SOOOOOO MUCH!  Work with  me... not against me and your child will be better for it in the end!  There are bad apples in every bunch, but most teachers I know didn't take on 60,000 dollars worth of student loans to get a masters in a field where (in my state) the pay qualifies you for food stamps because they don't like children lol!  We get attached to your kids... we love your kids... we want the best for them!  To the original poster.... no matter what parents throw at you, don't let it bleed into your love for the child..  Keep your students and their parents seperate in your mind and heart when you get someone hard to deal with.... but remember they only do what they  know.... sometimes that's good... sometimes it's bad. The students that have supportive parents are the easiest ones to teach regardless of their abilities, etc... because you know you have someone at home with them backing you up!!!  But those kids whose parents you might (in the shower late at night when no one is around to hear you lol) give a piece of your mind????  For many of those kids, your hugs might be the only ones they get all day.  Your "I love you" might be the one that means the most.... NEVER NEVER forget that.  That's teaching... you can teach any child to read... or to add... but if you can teach a child that he/she is valuable, cherished and simply worth it.... then you will have taught a child all they need to know to succeed.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

good luck

natesmom1228
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Good luck!!

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM

From someone who has had children in school for a while, I would say to love them also.  Do not nag them or yell at them.  If a child is a little slower than the others, patience is key!  My daughter had a teacher who literally got mad at her because she was slow getting her books out.  that made her worse, she got so nervous!  But this teacher thought she was helping her but that is not true.  If  you teach 1st, please make sure the kids get some down time everyday.  I think this is so important as in kindergarten they got this.  I do not think that taking away recess is a good punishment.  you will be taking away their excercise time.  It will also backfire on you as you now have wiggly kids!  My kids worse punishment was in school suspension. 

Yes, please be nice and listen to the parents concerns.  keep an open mind as they talk to you and do not pass judgements.  I had one teacher ask me if i disiplined my daughter!   not good.  also i had one teacher get mad at me because she thought i was asking for my kid's homework too  late when it was the secretary's fault!  if you do not want enemies of parents, please do not do this!  Thank you,.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Quoting abmaddox1981:

Just leave yourself open to listen to parents concerns. Yes, a lot of parents are convinced that their kid is a gifted genious when they are just passable, but not all parents are like that.

This is great!  My son tested in the gifted range but I've never told the teacher or pushed the "my child is really smart" line on her.  He also has some serious anxiety issues so even though as a teacher you might think it's normal keep an open mind.  I had to fight in the beginning & as my mom says even though the teacher caused the problem & it got fixed it ended up hurting my son than helping him in the long run.  Oh & based off my other post people say differentiate.  I say do that as well but be creative.  Give the kids a choice, if some of the kids know something already find something for them to do while you work with the ones who don't.  Switch up songs or lesson plans.  Lastly listen.  Don't just assume you know what a parent's talking about so listen & don't cut or brush them off.   

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Quoting bupkie:

Keep a positive attitude towards parents (don't view it as abuse).  You and the parents are a "team", they aren't your "opponents".   Be positive, and offer encouragement instead of "criticism"... and hopefully the students and parents will do the same.  

Always keep in mind that all children learn differently.  Most in Elementary are visual and tactile learners, very few at that age are auditory learners.    

Always do your best to remember what it was like to be a child and what MOTIVATES them!   --love this!

When you care about them, they care about themselves, others, what they are doing, learning, and enjoy being at school.  

Oh, and that one kid who you can't figure out our you think doesn't like you?  There is something different but you can't figure it out... It's not you at all!  And don't think he doesn't like you.  He needs some help with some type of issues... but no one has figured out what they are yet!  You might be the one to help make that huge difference in his life.   Yes, you!!!!  

It also might help to find the time to talk to that child one on one to see if it helps.  I wish my son's teacher would do that. 

MB13
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Classroom management and discipline is a must before you can be a great teacher.  Read Harry Wong's book about the first day of school,  and if you ever have a chance, see him speak live, or watch his video presentations.  He is a great speaker.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Routine, Structure, CLEAR and CONSise communication with parents. A web site is a plus.

make sure to walk around and check the kids work that they have it etc.  I agree with aetrom... if you've got a hyper have them do laps instead of sit.

Remember TEACHING behavior is just as imp as the academics.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and a second opinion.

know that the first and 2nd years you will be feeling your way, somethings will work some won't its okay just keep going and what didn't work this year may next.

Keep things going, I truly believe in the saying "idle hands" make your plan for the day and then add in 3 more extras for thos who finish too fast/slow.

remember to individualize.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)