Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ask the Teacher!

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Max
  • 569 Replies
12 moms liked this

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 14 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Replies (1-10):
HecticLife2011
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM
5 moms liked this

How do you handle children with ADHD in the classroom? My 6 year old can be pretty extreme sometimes and is doing better this year after we broke down and decided to medicate, however, she is getting pink slips and I don't think that teachs her what is wrong and why it is wrong...do you have any advice that might help me communicate with her teachers so we can figure out something that will actually show her what she is doing wrong, when she is doing it so she learns from it?

Last year her teacher was great and really worked with us...this year not so much...and I am frustrated.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Oct. 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Have you heard of turners syndrome? How would you test/teach a child that has it? I just found our my dd2 has it. It affects growth and memory and math abilities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laura4202
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Help! I have a 5 year old son who is so full of life and energy, and is smart but he is not "getting" that his impulses need to be controlled in school. When he's bored or wants to be heard, he just talks to whoever will listen, over the teacher and I'm getting daily "bad" reports about this behavior...it's discouraging because he is smart but nothing, punishment or reward is working with the chit chat!  He gets on the bus knowing what is expected of him but by the time I've picked him up, he has a sad face in his folder or it's even been suggested that his teachers (he's in morning kindergarten, a second session of "k-wrap kindergarten" and aftercare as I work) coming up with a behavior chart just for him...I might add that he just turned 5 in August.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Quoting my4littlegirls:

Have you heard of turners syndrome? How would you test/teach a child that has it? I just found our my dd2 has it. It affects growth and memory and math abilities.

I actually had heard of it, but I didn't know it impacted learning. What I just looked up said it can impact certain math related skills. But it didn't seem like a definite thing or even likely. Just a bigger chance than for other kids.  

Does she struggle with those things, or are you just concerned she might?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HecticLife2011:

How do you handle children with ADHD in the classroom? My 6 year old can be pretty extreme sometimes and is doing better this year after we broke down and decided to medicate, however, she is getting pink slips and I don't think that teachs her what is wrong and why it is wrong...do you have any advice that might help me communicate with her teachers so we can figure out something that will actually show her what she is doing wrong, when she is doing it so she learns from it?

Last year her teacher was great and really worked with us...this year not so much...and I am frustrated.

I'm going to cut and paste a reply I just wrote in another thread. If this year's teacher won't make accommodations ask her who you need talk to about setting up a 504 plan. Then she would be required to do them. 

I would look for her to keep him on task with verbal and nonverbal cues. He probably needs to be redirected while she's teaching so she should be checking to see if he's with her and doing something if he's not. Not every second, but not more than a couple of minutes shouldn't go by. 

When he's working independently the work should be given in manageable sections. Once he finishes a portion of an assignments he should get some sort of feedback. I will say do #s 1-5 then come see me. They just get a pat on the back and get back to work, but it keeps them going.

He can also work with a kitchen timer to keep him focused for short bursts. 

Folding a long assignment or using another paper to cover parts helps make it less intimidating. It might help if he can only see a couple of questions at a time. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Quoting Laura4202:

Help! I have a 5 year old son who is so full of life and energy, and is smart but he is not "getting" that his impulses need to be controlled in school. When he's bored or wants to be heard, he just talks to whoever will listen, over the teacher and I'm getting daily "bad" reports about this behavior...it's discouraging because he is smart but nothing, punishment or reward is working with the chit chat!  He gets on the bus knowing what is expected of him but by the time I've picked him up, he has a sad face in his folder or it's even been suggested that his teachers (he's in morning kindergarten, a second session of "k-wrap kindergarten" and aftercare as I work) coming up with a behavior chart just for him...I might add that he just turned 5 in August.

Have you met with the teacher? The frustrating is that as a parent there's not too much you can do other than support the teacher. She needs to come up with a behavior plan for the classroom.

Meet with her and ask to set up a behavior plan. What she's currently doing might be an all day thing. That's too much for many kids. See if she can work with on setting goals for smaller chunks of time. For example, he can not talk out of turn for 30 minutes he gets a sticker on a chart. When he gets 5 stickers he gets a good report home. 

He might be able to tell himself he can do it for a little while. But all day? That's a lot for some kids. 

myrrha68
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I have a 5 yo daughter that is in Kindergarten that is I think pretty good at math and numbers for her age. She knows addition, subtraction, some multiplication, knows which numbers are odd or even and read clocks. As a teacher, have you always been able to identify the kids that are little more advanced in certain areas than the other children? Or do you not know unless the parent tells you? Should I ask the teacher to give her math that is more advanced or should she just stick with the regular Kindergarten curriculum?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting myrrha68:

I have a 5 yo daughter that is in Kindergarten that is I think pretty good at math and numbers for her age. She knows addition, subtraction, some multiplication, knows which numbers are odd or even and read clocks. As a teacher, have you always been able to identify the kids that are little more advanced in certain areas than the other children? Or do you not know unless the parent tells you? Should I ask the teacher to give her math that is more advanced or should she just stick with the regular Kindergarten curriculum?

The only time I've had parents tell me their child was advances and I hadn't already realized it, the parents were mistaken:) Those are very advances skills for K so I'd assume her teacher has picked up on it unless she's super shy or pretending she doesn't know stuff. 

I would only ask the teacher for more challenging content if my child was unhappy. If she enjoys school then she's getting what needs from Kindergarten. But that's just my take as a parent. Lots of people think pushing kids to is important. 

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM
I have been fighting for 2 yrs for the school to test her for learning troubles because it seems no matter what she just doesn't grasp things. This would help explain it for me. We try hard to do her spelling words and she gets in tears because she doesn't get it. The same with math.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting my4littlegirls:

I actually had heard of it, but I didn't know it impacted learning. What I just looked up said it can impact certain math related skills. But it didn't seem like a definite thing or even likely. Just a bigger chance than for other kids.  

Does she struggle with those things, or are you just concerned she might?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM
8 moms liked this

Here is my question, why does the whole class get punished when a few kids act up. It has been driving me crazy since last year. To me it makes much more sense to punish the instigators not every single student. My son has been unfortunate in classmates, he loses a privilege almost every day not because of something he has done, but because of a few kids behavior in his class.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN