Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 14 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Replies (561-569):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting lacyd75:

So i was wondering on your thought of retainment? my daughter is in 2nd grade and i honest don't think she is ready for 3rd grade and neither do her teacher,principal, or guidance counselor. I know there are pros and cons as far as retainment goes. What grounds do you think retainment is the way to go> Thanks!

I think there are many factors so it's hard to say not knowing any details. 

I will say reseach is pretty clear that gains made from retainion are tempory. 3-4 years after repeating most kids are just as far behind as they were before being held back. But for some kids it's exactly what they need. 

MissyB2275
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I did talk to the teacher and she said she will handle it.  My cousin is a special Ed teacher there and helps with the field trips and she said I was fine..  I'm just not going to let it bother me..not going to deal with the other moms.  Thanks for the input.  Means a lot.

jeda1429
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Do you always follow IEPs?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Quoting jeda1429:

Absolutely. It's federal law. 

If there's something on it I don't think is appropriate I ask for a meeting and we discuss changing the plan. 

jeda1429
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That's great! My son is autistic and I have to hound his teachers to follow it. I've had some teachers completely disregaurd it and other teachers I'm pretty sure never read it.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting jeda1429:

Absolutely. It's federal law. 

If there's something on it I don't think is appropriate I ask for a meeting and we discuss changing the plan. 

ballardbliss
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Okay I have a 7 year old that is in 1st grade and I have been having to meet with the teacher at least once a month. There is alot so im going to try to "sum it up" My daughter does her homework and reads daily. She is from what i have seen doing fine. When she goes to school she is a different kid. She doesn't finish her work. and i get notes from her teacher saying she doesn't know what to do. but when she is home she is fine. I have sent a large exercise ball to keep her busy and not walk around the room. They have tested her with what the teacher calls a DAR test and she isn't reading like she should but she reads fine to me. The only thing that i can see and not like is the fact that the teacher is a mess. The room is unorganzed and even when I have had meeting with her half the time she is looking for a paper to show me. I told her that i don't want my child to be held back and she keeps asking me. My DD has never failed anything but she is still telling me that she isn't passing her DAR tests. Do you have any advice or insight on this kind of situation?

Pixyduster28
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have an 11 year old DD.  She is stuggling to find friends.  She seems socially awkward and she does have anxiety issues.  We are treating the anxiety as much as we can right now as I live in Canada and subject to social healthcare restrictions and waiting lists.  She is made fun of, she doesn't play at recess, and she has now been at 3 schools in 5 years.  I am stuck.  I feel like I am reliving my own childhood and I am heartbroken that I feel as though I have gained nothing in learning from it to help her.  I am in tears as I type.  Kids are so cruel. She is super smart and creative but can be bossy but will back off.  When she feels safe she is SUPER fun!  Help!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pixyduster28:

I have an 11 year old DD.  She is stuggling to find friends.  She seems socially awkward and she does have anxiety issues.  We are treating the anxiety as much as we can right now as I live in Canada and subject to social healthcare restrictions and waiting lists.  She is made fun of, she doesn't play at recess, and she has now been at 3 schools in 5 years.  I am stuck.  I feel like I am reliving my own childhood and I am heartbroken that I feel as though I have gained nothing in learning from it to help her.  I am in tears as I type.  Kids are so cruel. She is super smart and creative but can be bossy but will back off.  When she feels safe she is SUPER fun!  Help!

I would focus on fostering a friendship with just one other child to start. Getting her involved in activities like theater or art might make it easier to find other kids she had things in common with. 

You also need to take a really honest look at her behavior and how she can change the way she interacts with other children. Most of the time kids who get picked on lack the skills to stand up for themselves or interact with bullies in a way that diminishes the bullying. Once kids learn how much they really can control the way other people treat them they become very empowered. 

If it makes you feel better, lots of kids age are in a similar predicament. This is an age where kids are very insure and often the worst parts of their personalities come out. It seems like those are often the people who come out ahead as adults.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

It's hard to say since I've obviously never worked with your daughter. 

I will say that DAR testing looks at how a student comprehends what she reads not just how she reads aloud. Sometimes kids seem to be reading fine to their parents, but formal assessments show specific areas of weakness. 

Ask the teacher exactly what the results of the DAR testing were and what areas of reading she is struggling with. 

Quoting ballardbliss:

Okay I have a 7 year old that is in 1st grade and I have been having to meet with the teacher at least once a month. There is alot so im going to try to "sum it up" My daughter does her homework and reads daily. She is from what i have seen doing fine. When she goes to school she is a different kid. She doesn't finish her work. and i get notes from her teacher saying she doesn't know what to do. but when she is home she is fine. I have sent a large exercise ball to keep her busy and not walk around the room. They have tested her with what the teacher calls a DAR test and she isn't reading like she should but she reads fine to me. The only thing that i can see and not like is the fact that the teacher is a mess. The room is unorganzed and even when I have had meeting with her half the time she is looking for a paper to show me. I told her that i don't want my child to be held back and she keeps asking me. My DD has never failed anything but she is still telling me that she isn't passing her DAR tests. Do you have any advice or insight on this kind of situation?

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)