Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 14 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Replies (171-180):
ladivol
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

As a teacher with many years of experience...I would first ask what the child is eating for breakfast. I know I am not a doctor, and you have your child under a doctor's care. However, I often find that because a child is on the medication, the parent forgets how much the child's diet can be a detriment to the medication. Teacher's get some training in how to deal with ADHD and other learning disabilities, however we don't have all of the answers, and unfortunately face many of like situations. Now, as a parent, I understand that you want answers for your child. Your child is your number one priority. I get that. I felt the same when mine were in school. I would suggest if last year's teacher understood the problem, and handled it better. Maybe you could set a meeting between the two, or you create a very good relationship with the teacher, and perhaps she can learn about your child better from you. Might I suggest if you have the time, volunteer in your child's classroom. Maybe, you will get a better picture of what is going on in the classroom, and see how you, yourself, would handle the situation. Maybe, I have not helped you at all...but as a teacher..if you can see the classroom situation from inside, maybe you can help the teacher to understand your child better.

ladivol
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Perhaps you could work with the teacher and any other adults who spend a large amount of time in your child's life, to be consistent about his behavior. Maybe what ever chart is used in one place could be an instrument you also use at home. You probably already know that all children want and need to know their boundaries. They also need to know the consequences if they step beyond that boundary. CONSISTENCY is key to a child knowing how to act. Thus, if you can make the behavior plan consistent through his little life...he will know his expectations.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Quoting kwhitehead:

Hi,

My 4th grader continues to perform poorly in school despite being punished by taking away his priviledges. When I asked him why this continues he told me that school was boring and he did not care about school and it seems like the loss of his privileges and my constant reinforcement of the importance of school he continues with his negative attitude and performance. PLEASE help because I need to change this before he gets into middle and high school and eventually going to college. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Has he always struggled or is this a new problem?

It sounds like he's frustrated. It could be a personality conflict with the teacher, he could have a learning problem or something else entirely. It's really hard to say since I don't know him. 

One idea is to work on short terms goals. Working to get report cards grade may be overwhelming. Try focusing on the next chapter or assignment. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Quoting vixen42:

Why do teachers give 5th graders 3 projects too do over Christams break? Sometimes parents want too do stuff with their kids and this is not one of them,one i could see but 3 come on?

I don't do that so I can't say. 

Was it all one teacher? I would call and ask. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Ugh what happened to pushong the kids to do their best? In our schools every kid has to be equal. Even the kids that dont try get theor work displayed. Its annoying. And ues it is my daughter who admitted to doing a lazy slop job. Her work was displayed whereas I believe her teacher shouldve said "Do it again and do it better."

If the teacher didn't hang every one's she'd have mothers mad that their child's work wasn't displayed. There's no way to keep everyone happy. 

ladivol
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I believe that is a very broad question. I would certainly think it would be a good idea for you to go in and speak with the teacher. Be nice, of course, and try to be understanding. If you can see that there are behavioral issues in the classroom, the teacher may be drowning in those. I always advise that if a parent has time to volunteer in the classroom, he/she will get a better idea of what is going on. Also, by being in there, it takes some of the stress off the teacher, to where maybe she can begin to look at the whole situation. You know, what most parents don't really understand is that a great many go into teaching for all the right reasons, but it is a harder position to hold every year. More and more is required of the teacher with no more hours to do what is required. The stresses don't only come from the students in the classroom....but the job itself.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quoting ladivol:

I believe that is a very broad question. I would certainly think it would be a good idea for you to go in and speak with the teacher. Be nice, of course, and try to be understanding. If you can see that there are behavioral issues in the classroom, the teacher may be drowning in those. I always advise that if a parent has time to volunteer in the classroom, he/she will get a better idea of what is going on. Also, by being in there, it takes some of the stress off the teacher, to where maybe she can begin to look at the whole situation. You know, what most parents don't really understand is that a great many go into teaching for all the right reasons, but it is a harder position to hold every year. More and more is required of the teacher with no more hours to do what is required. The stresses don't only come from the students in the classroom....but the job itself.

You have some great answers! Thanks

It might help if you quoted the question when you answer. That way the person who asked knows you answered and everyone can tell which answers are for which questions. 

5babies757
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Hi, I have a 3rd, 1st, and one in Kindergarten. I eat lunch with the kids a few times out of the month, help with class activities and go on field trips but i feel like im not doing enough with them in school. How much help do teachers want or expect? Thank you

ceecee666
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Hi my name Chauita and I have son in kindergarten and he has stambling problem i have been stressing the issue since he was in head start but this is the first year that they have decided to something about it but the technique they are using is not working what should I do

our3
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This is our first full year with this school district and it is SO different than our previous schools when it comes to testings. This school uses the Lexile system and I am so lost. I tried googing what the scores mean but it's all confusing as well. I am hoping you have experience with this. If you could please let me know where DD stands it would be great.

DD is 9yo and in 4th grade.

Her reading score is 215, Lexile range 774 - 924

Her Math score is 209 and gives no range.

Thank you so much.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)