Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 14 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
aydensmommy0406
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM

We are using worksheets that the school has provided. I think you are right though on him doing it just to annoy me, he is reading really well most of the time. It is usually words like cat, bat, mat, that he is doing this on. Thanks for the reply.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

My son is 5 and in kindergarten, I am schooling him thru an online charter school. He is doing really good at all his subjects. My problem is that when he sounds out words he does great but once he gets the word he will drop the first sound, Say like in MAT,  he will go M     A     T but then will say  A T. How can I get him to quit doing that? It drives me crazy.

Where is he sounding these words out? On worksheets or activities on a website or in books?

Reading words in isolation (not in sentences) is tricky because if you make an error there's nothing to help the child notice it. If he's making this mistake with flash cards or something like that, I would just correct him and keep working on it. You could him work on finding things that start with certain sounds to emphasize beginning sounds. 

As he starts reading books make sure he understands that he's not just reading a list of words. It should make sense. So if he reads, "The cat sat on the at." He should notice it sounds funny and look back at the word. 

A final thought, if he's anything like my child the fact that it's driving you crazy may be exactly why it's happening. When I was teaching my son to count he would skip over 4 every time. I was so annoyed. I tried everything I could think of. I finally stopped correcting him and he said, "Mommy, you didn't tell me about 4!" I told him he already knows and I'm not telling him any more. It wasn't fun anymore so now he says 4. LOL

*You can bomb the world into pieces but you cannot bomb the world into peace.
*Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a
Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.
*And a church is NOT a museum of saints
but a hospital for sinners
Every saint has a PAST...
Every sinner has a FUTURE!
*Without sorrow there would be no compassion.
Bonni
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I have an elementary school dilemma.  My daughter is in first grade.  I love her school, the staff, her teacher, the principal.  She is thriving and really loves to go to school.  Here's my problem:  I see and hear the teachers and staff using bad grammar - not horrible (good/well confusion, pronoun agreement errors, etc.)  but they are modeling language for the children.  I am an English prof, so I really notice it.  I don't want to be that person who corrects others' grammar, but I don't want my daughter learning incorrect usage.  As an elementary teacher, what do you think?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Quoting Bonni:

I have an elementary school dilemma.  My daughter is in first grade.  I love her school, the staff, her teacher, the principal.  She is thriving and really loves to go to school.  Here's my problem:  I see and hear the teachers and staff using bad grammar - not horrible (good/well confusion, pronoun agreement errors, etc.)  but they are modeling language for the children.  I am an English prof, so I really notice it.  I don't want to be that person who corrects others' grammar, but I don't want my daughter learning incorrect usage.  As an elementary teacher, what do you think?

Good and well is such a common error, but it's one I always notice. The teachers I work with do it all the time. "He did really good on his test." AAAAAHHHH!! It drives me nuts. I've actually corrected my own team on that.

This is a tricky one. Chances are the errors you're noticing are the kind most people wouldn't pick up on. If a teacher is making alarming errors I would say something to the principal. I mentored a teacher with atrocious grammar. (I seen him last week) She just couldn't accept it was a problem. She thought the principal and I were picking on her. I always wished a parent would complain, but none ever did. It ended up costing her her job. (Is the grammatically correct with the double her? LOL)

If the errors aren't that bad you could politely mention it to the teacher.  If you work closely with her you may get to a point where you feel comfortable talking to to her.  But honestly, I would probably let it slide. Your daughter's language will be influenced more by what she hears are home. If you hear her making errors correct them. 

If the errors are in writing I would correct them. One I see all the time is, "Please have your child bring their..." You can write a very friendly note explaining that you are an English professor and you just can't help yourself from correcting the error.

You also may notice as she gets into the upper grades the teachers may have better grammar because they are teaching those tricky rules. It reminds us to use them. LOL

bupkie
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Bonni:

Good and well is such a common error, but it's one I always notice. The teachers I work with do it all the time. "He did really good on his test." AAAAAHHHH!! It drives me nuts. I've actually corrected my own team on that.

This is a tricky one. Chances are the errors you're noticing are the kind most people wouldn't pick up on. If a teacher is making alarming errors I would say something to the principal. I mentored a teacher with atrocious grammar. (I seen him last week) She just couldn't accept it was a problem. She thought the principal and I were picking on her. I always wished a parent would complain, but none ever did. It ended up costing her her job. (Is the grammatically correct with the double her? LOL)

If the errors aren't that bad you could politely mention it to the teacher.  If you work closely with her you may get to a point where you feel comfortable talking to to her.  But honestly, I would probably let it slide. Your daughter's language will be influenced more by what she hears are home. If you hear her making errors correct them. 

If the errors are in writing I would correct them. One I see all the time is, "Please have your child bring their..." You can write a very friendly note explaining that you are an English professor and you just can't help yourself from correcting the error.

You also may notice as she gets into the upper grades the teachers may have better grammar because they are teaching those tricky rules. It reminds us to use them. LOL

^ dood, can I be snarky for a second?  You have some editing to do... 

I'm not a lit professor, or teacher, and please correct me if I'm wrong... but shouldn't that be "no one" ever did?   

Just thought it was a bit ironic... a post about grammar... with some grammatical issues...  

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I am an ex-pat, I live in Romania. my son (6) is attending public school here and I am supplementing language arts, american history... what I think he needs. he is at kindergarten level here as they start school later. So right now I am teaching him to read in english he won't learn to read romanian until next year.

1) what is a "fun" history program I can use? I don't want EVERYTHING to be book work. any ideas?

2) what else do I need to include in language arts at this age. Reading, then introduce spelling? etc. I don't know where to go from here really.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Quoting aetrom:

I am an ex-pat, I live in Romania. my son (6) is attending public school here and I am supplementing language arts, american history... what I think he needs. he is at kindergarten level here as they start school later. So right now I am teaching him to read in english he won't learn to read romanian until next year.

1) what is a "fun" history program I can use? I don't want EVERYTHING to be book work. any ideas?

2) what else do I need to include in language arts at this age. Reading, then introduce spelling? etc. I don't know where to go from here really.

How did I miss that you live in Romania?! That's really interesting. 

1) Most history programs are text book based. But there are always accompanying activities with the text. 

http://www.studiesweekly.com/

Social Studies Weekly is a newspaper format text. Each week has a topic with multiple articles. It does have activities and links to things online too. 

I've never seen the Kindergarten version. I think most of Social Studies in K is more about communities, not really history. 

I would focus on reading books about American history. Again, not much is there for that level and I'm guessing the Romanian library isn't too full of American history books. So you might have to really search. 

2) Beginning writing skills

He should be exploring writing. If he's interested you can have him work on copying letters and trying to write on his own. If he's doing really well you could even work on basic sentences. 

he can also dictate stories to you. Having you write down his ideas allows him t focus on the content of his writing when he's not able to do the mechanics on his own yet. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM
:) I gave lived here 13 years, both boys born here and are both bilingual! I do not want to address writing because they teach cursive here first and the handwriting is impeccable! We do a lot of strength building things, mazes, dot to dots, etc...

That is a great idea on stories! He would love that!!!

The history books I would get and ship here.. I have some good resources to do so if you have some favorites let me know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chell87
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

My son started Kindergarden this year. About 3 to 4 days a week he acts up, anywhere from thowing a tantrum when told not to do something or just not listening. I've tried everything and just dont know what to do. Please help!

mirabelle
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 7:36 AM

My son just started kindergarten and i  think he may  ADD or ADHD.  He is showing many symptoms at home and in school.  Im hesitant about putting him on medicine right now.  So im wondering what do other parents do to before giving in to the medicine route.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Quoting chell87:

My son started Kindergarden this year. About 3 to 4 days a week he acts up, anywhere from thowing a tantrum when told not to do something or just not listening. I've tried everything and just dont know what to do. Please help!

Have you talked to the teacher? See if she will set up a behavior plan where he works for rewards or to avoid consequences. 

He may need to have more frequent goals set. Like if he behaves for the first half of a day he gets a sticker, then another for the second half. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN