Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 14 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Quoting mirabelle:

My son just started kindergarten and i  think he may  ADD or ADHD.  He is showing many symptoms at home and in school.  Im hesitant about putting him on medicine right now.  So im wondering what do other parents do to before giving in to the medicine route.

I'm sure there are groups on CM that would have tons of tips. 

I know dietary changes have a huge impact on some kids. A good friend just cut all processed food out of her son's diet and his behavior is much better. 

surprisedmom22
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

what is the average age to start slumber parties? There are a few 1st graders (6/7 year olds) that are having slumber parties - I just feel this is too young for my daughter...But would like others input.

Bob192
by Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

My daughter is 7 and in 2nd grade.  She reads several grade levels ahead and does well with math and science.  She has ADHD and has a lot of trouble with spelling and handwriting.  For the spelling we have tried spellingcity.com.  For handwriting we have done workbooks at home.  She is still having trouble in both areas.  Any suggestions???

allbrightb
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

My son is in band for the 1st year. He decided he wanted to play the trumpet. While in band practice he was talking to the teacher trying to figure out why he couldn't get it to make the sounds she was asking him to make. Mind you, this is only the 2nd practice. The teacher told him there was nothing wrong with the instrument, but something was wrong with him. The whole class heard it, and she didn't not try to help him understand what he was or was not doing. Would you say that to a child? I personally am very upset with this statement.

JohnnySophiamom
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Thank you so much for doing this thread;)

Two questions:  First, my daughter is in K.  Sometimes she flips the letters, like she would call a "b" "d"  and draws "S" the wrong way. About 80% of the time.  Should I worry>  Second question is, does the series of the Whimpy Kid cualified as a fiction chapter books?

Again, thank you so much:)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Quoting surprisedmom22:

what is the average age to start slumber parties? There are a few 1st graders (6/7 year olds) that are having slumber parties - I just feel this is too young for my daughter...But would like others input.

I don't really know. You could post this in the group. You will get tons of replies. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Quoting allbrightb:

My son is in band for the 1st year. He decided he wanted to play the trumpet. While in band practice he was talking to the teacher trying to figure out why he couldn't get it to make the sounds she was asking him to make. Mind you, this is only the 2nd practice. The teacher told him there was nothing wrong with the instrument, but something was wrong with him. The whole class heard it, and she didn't not try to help him understand what he was or was not doing. Would you say that to a child? I personally am very upset with this statement.

I would call the teacher and ask her about it. Sometimes things can get lost in translation between school and home. She might not have said exactly what he thinks she said. You need to get her side of the story too. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Quoting JohnnySophiamom:

Thank you so much for doing this thread;)

Two questions:  First, my daughter is in K.  Sometimes she flips the letters, like she would call a "b" "d"  and draws "S" the wrong way. About 80% of the time.  Should I worry>  Second question is, does the series of the Whimpy Kid cualified as a fiction chapter books?

Again, thank you so much:)

Don't worry at all about the flipping. It's totally normal. 

Wimpy Kid books are definitely fiction. But they are illustrated so they don't really have as much text as a typical chapter book. So you could really look at it either way. 

surprisedmom22
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 6:59 AM

How and where do I do that? Thought that was what I was doing

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 6, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Quoting surprisedmom22:

How and where do I do that? Thought that was what I was doing

Up on the top of the screen at the left, click on "Let's Talk"

Then click on the button that says "add a post"

Then your post will show up on the list of posts for the group and more people will see it. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)