Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is McDonalds doing? 3 apple slices...really!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM
  • 98 Replies

I took my son to McDonalds today and ordered his usual Happy Meal with apple slices.  He got a bag with [count them] 3 apple slices in it.  He said "Where's the apples?"  I took it up to the counter thinking there was a mistake. 

I was informed that now McDonalds is going to include both french fries and apples in all happy meals which means fewer apples.  What's more is that since their computers weren't set up for the inclusion of fries yet, all we get are the three apple slices.  We will not be allowed to request apples only in the future either.

I realize that there was some news a few months back that McDonalds was going to try to help inner city youth to get healthier by including apples in all happy meals.  However, I did not realize this would mean that they would force french fries on everyone or that they would be greatly reducing the amount of apple slices in their meals. 

So in order to help some kids learn to like fresh fruit (like they are going to learn that from 3 apple slices), I have to give my son a less healthy meal with barely any fruit and add deep fat fries. 

WRONG!!!!!

This is so wrong and I am ready to boycott McDonalds over it. 

Is it really to help some kids to eat healthier or is it saving McD's some money?

How do you all feel about this?

by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babybugsmomma
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I agree. My kids usually choose the apples over the fries. They should keep the apples and get rid of the fries all together.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:07 AM
6 moms liked this
Just don't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:08 AM
It's saving mcds money. I saw that in a mcds while we were on the road a few weeks back. I don't mind my kids eating fries because they eat soo much healthy food at school and home and are very active but if given a choice they would chose apples. In that mcds they sold them for $1 separate when not gotten with meal but the ones here sold here are almost 1.50 normal size bags. I usually don't even buy the happy meals. I get them $1 double And they share fries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM
5 moms liked this
Because his chicken nuggets or haburger arent "deep fat" either?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulieBrown
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:12 AM

If it is a transition period for McDonalds, then maybe you should contact their customer service.  http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us.html

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 2:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Skip McDonald's all together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aydensmommy0406
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally am happy that they are offering even just 3 apple slices and less fries. My child always wants the fries with his so even just a tad bit of apples is better then all fries.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 3:03 AM
8 moms liked this
If I'm going to McDonald's, I'm letting my kids get fries because we rarely get fast food in the first place. If you want healthy...don't go to mcdonalds. Treat it like it is....a treat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 5:40 AM

I have to agree with this. We don't do fast food very often. They eat healthy all the time, so a few fries aren't going to hurt!

But I do agree that if you want apples only, you should get maybe 2 bags, or whatever to make up for the missing fries.

We were at McDonald's yesterday as well, we still have the option of fries, or apples!

Quoting M4LG5:

If I'm going to McDonald's, I'm letting my kids get fries because we rarely get fast food in the first place. If you want healthy...don't go to mcdonalds. Treat it like it is....a treat.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids want the fries. This way they don't have to choose, or me choose for them. If you really want to feed your child healthier, you wouldn't drive through McDs in the first place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)