• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Even my 5, 6, and 7 yr old kids know..

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
The difference between an "o" and a zero. Seriously that is something that should be learned when you learn your numbers and letters, before you even START school. So there is no damn excuse for someone who is driving an 18wheeler for a living not to know that. I understand some of those drivers are illiterate which is really sad but they all have to know truck numbers, trailer numbers, driver ids, mileage and drivers liscence numbers to be able to conduct their business so they have to know at least numbers and letters.

I don't understand how these drivers can give me their info and tell me "o" over and over and their fuel card declines, and I verify the info and they ask me what's the difference. You really don't know the difference? I really wanted to make this driver look stupid this morning!!!! It took me over 5 mins to get her setup, cuz she was telling me the drivers liscence was ho8o975700. So I assumed since she use both "o" and zero she knew the difference and I even asked her if it was letter "o". UGH!!'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM
It is sad and sometimes it's the school system that fails the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM
I edited it cuz my stupid phone posted before I was done with my vent

Quoting jaytee:

It is sad and sometimes it's the school system that fails the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Verbally o and 0 are interchangeable. That has nothing to do with being illiterate. I think you are being intentionally difficult bc of your personal pet peeve. You know they are interchangeable...maybe try being actually helpful instead of trying to prove a point with someone who came to you for service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM
I am trying to be helpful but when you enter type them into the computer you have to type the correct letter or number for their fuel card to be approved. So since I know that people use them interchangeably, if my register tells me an ID or liscence number was typed in incorrectly I ask them again to verify whether it's a "o" or zero, and most tell me correctly after that. What frustrates me is the ones that repeat it the wrong way and wonder why it continues to not work, until I try it the other way. And I've had a few drivers ask me "what's the difference" it's not a pet peeve, it's a matter of trying to get these drivers set up for fuel so THEY can get fueled and get back on the road because most of those guys aren't making money while standing in line at a truck stop. You gotta be putting miles behind you. I love my job but there are times it can get frustrating

Quoting teri4lance:

Verbally o and 0 are interchangeable. That has nothing to do with being illiterate. I think you are being intentionally difficult bc of your personal pet peeve. You know they are interchangeable...maybe try being actually helpful instead of trying to prove a point with someone who came to you for service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM
When someone is reading me numbers and they say "o" I know they mean zero because letter Os are not usually put in the middle of an all number card. Just a thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Well, I am familiar with a few of the dl number patterns of the more popular ones i get , but some of the dl have letters in them and she didn't have the card on her for me to see, this was an OK dl and I don't usually get drivers from that state. Also some trailer numbers and driver id's use numbers, so its not only dl "numbers" that "O" and zero come up in. But for mileage and phone numbers i KNOW its gotta be zero because it ONLY numbers.

Quoting calimom1123:

When someone is reading me numbers and they say "o" I know they mean zero because letter Os are not usually put in the middle of an all number card. Just a thought.

abmaddox1981
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM
They are not interchangable! O is a letter and 0 is a number. If someone is giving you fuel card information it is kind of important to be able to tell the difference.

Quoting teri4lance:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I guess its hard to understand when you don't know the process of setting up someone for fuel and what info I need for it,

Morrigan333
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

My ex is a trucker, and never had this problem!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)