Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When it comes to the family...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

pets, what all do the kids do? Are they responsible for certain things regarding the pet?

If so, how did you teach them to be responsable?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurbabe82
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM

DS(5) has to feed the dogs and until we put in the doggy door had to let them outside (fenced in yard) too.

momof754
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:47 PM
All three of my kids are responsible for taking care of the cats. We have a chart in the computer that tells each one when they are supposed to scoop the litter. They do that daily. And they take turns. Every fourth day it gets changed and taken out to the trash. They are also responsible for making sure they are fed and watered. And they also help when it is time for a bath for them. Hubby and i do the actual bath and the kids help by drying the cats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM
My girls both feed the cat, but it's when I tell them to do it. I scoop the litter, that's why he is outside until I have baby, but he loves it out there. Lots of animals to catch, and other cats to play with and in the sunlight he loves laying on the deck. On cool nights he cuddles up by the door. So please no bashing about having an outside cat. (I'm pregnant so I'm not supposed to do litter)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM

My kids clean the cages of the G. Pigs and the hamster. That means they clean out the bedding, wash it with hot soapy water, dry it and replace the bedding every 2 days. That also includes all pet pans and water dishes. They each have a certain job with certain pets. My youngest feeds the G.Pigs, middle son feeds the hamster, oldest feeds the cat. Middle son waters the cat, and youngest is in charge of making sure the G.Pig and hamster's water bottles stay clean and full. The feeding and watering is daily. There is no reminder needed. They wanted the pets and they take full responsibility of the care and maintenance of them. They all 3 scoop the flower bed that the cat uses every other day, except for in the winter. They let us know when bedding and food is needed a few days in advance. The animals do not need a bath because they clean themselves. Once in a while they will place a bowl of water in the cages for the G. Pigs and hamster to play in. You could call it a bath.They also take the pets outta the cage to play with them and let them have exercise outside the cage. They clean up any mess the pet leaves while outta the cage as well.

We taught them responsibility by showing them how to care for the pets when we got them. No toy or books were used. If they go on vacation or to a sleep over they have to ask either their dad or myself to do their duties of the pet.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Lmao.. We only have fish.. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:02 AM

We have two kittens. (Well, cats. They're 1 1/2 years old.) Kiki feeds them 3X a day. Sarah makes sure their water dish is full. And Lexie cleans the litterbox.

When I first gave them their cat chores, I put up a schedule on the fridge. It outlined when to scoop the box and when to feed them. For Sarah's water duties, I just reminded her several times a day to check the dish. After a few weeks they got into the routine.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999
Leslie Kirsten 03-14-2004
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 
Twins due 04-15-2012

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:27 AM
We rotate jobs weekly. This week....
Oldest DS does "doggie dookie duty"
Middle DS scoops cat litter.
DD feeds the dog.

I'm sure someone here will flame me for this but the dog is fed about 2 hours before we eat dinner. If the designated child "forgets" they will have to feed the dog after we say grace and then sit and wait until everyone finishes their "firsts" before they can eat. They rarely forget. Honestly, I can't think of any of the kids missing it more than twice. its not fair for her to miss her meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shelleyragsdale
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:34 AM

My daughter empties the cat liter, feeds, and gives her cat water.

She was told when we got the cat she would have to take care of it or we would get rid of the cat, may sound harsh but it worked.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM

My son feeds the cats sometimes. I change the litter box.

We also have a hermit crab that my son takes care of.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

My boys take turns feeding the dog.  Oldest son's birthday is an odd numbered day, so he feeds the dog on the odd days.  Youngest son's birthday is an even numbered day, so he feeds the dog on the even days.  This works well for us and we never forget whose day it is to feed the dog.  Cleaning up the dog's "lawn tootsie rolls" is part of the oldest son's chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)