Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't you remember.......

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM
  • 23 Replies

....... your elementary school days?? Do you remember being a kid? Do you remember the lunchroom lines? Do you remember your worst teacher?

I'm very curious. 

The posts all about things that, I believe, are typical kid things (chasing and fighting on the playground, not wanting to get up in the morning, chores and house rules, etc), got me thinking about how much us, as parents, really remember about elementary school. Were you traumatized by the little amount of time you had to eat your lunch? Did you have issues later in life because a 6 year old boy chased you or hit you at recess?

If yes, how did your parents handle the issues you encountered in school?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember very clearly pretending to throw up an a regular basis because of how much I hated being locked up in that building day after day listening to teachers drone on and on about things I already knew. I now homeschool my son because I never want him to go through that bureaucratic bullshit that held me back. My husband had the same experience so he understands.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM
I remember my es days. Some of my memories, though bad, (like my worst teacher) don't traumatize me at all. But I have had some negative effects from the sexual molestation and near rape I experienced when I was 5. My middle school/high school bad memories have effected me more. Mainly my self esteem and confidence level.

I remember what my parents did to help me for the sexual abuse they got me therapy. For all the teasing that got worse as I got older idk remember
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladywithtwo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM
I had a elementary school teacher that was CRAZY. She thought I was out to get her. She constantly sent me to the office & once tried to get me expelled. My parents had to fight the school bc I truly was innocent. Turns out she had an unknown brain tumor & died the next year.
I hate it for her but I'm so glad my patents believed me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM

That's awful!!

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

I had a elementary school teacher that was CRAZY. She thought I was out to get her. She constantly sent me to the office & once tried to get me expelled. My parents had to fight the school bc I truly was innocent. Turns out she had an unknown brain tumor & died the next year.
I hate it for her but I'm so glad my patents believed me!

gemgem
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I remember mine fondly. Nothing in those days perm scarred me. I think in this day and age we coddle our kids way too much.

Visit my store for great deals on candles and home decor and work from home opportunities. Get started 100% free too!

http://www.partylite.biz/sites/byValerie/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RTXmommy06
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't agree more.

Quoting gemgem:

I remember mine fondly. Nothing in those days perm scarred me. I think in this day and age we coddle our kids way too much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Anyone else?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I have some wonderful memories of my days in school and some awful memories.  Those experinces have made me the person that I am today and for that I am very greatful.  I can't say that any of my school experiences traumatized me or scarred me for life.  One of my best memories happened in fourth grade.  I hade Pacman cereal and grape juice for breakfast, told my mom that my tummy hurt, but she sent me to school anyway.  An hour or so later at school I puked all over my desk and the desk of a popular boy, our desks were put together in a square.  I was mortified back then, but now he is such a jerk that I'm happy to say that I puked on him in fourth grade. lol

I do think that parents to tend to coddle their children more in this day and age.  IMO a child over the age of 12 or 13 months is no longer a baby, yet we often see moms referring to their school aged children as babies.

Cindy18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I was teased and chased by boys. I even fell and skinned my knee on the blacktop and had to go to the doctor for them to pick out the pebbles because they didn't call and send me home....and guess what.... My mom did not threaten to sue the school!!

I think parents tend to over react because it's their child and they want to protect them from everything but like Steel said it's those experiences that make us who we are as adults.

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I was NOT nice in elementary school. I had no friends and I so grateful that my son is not like me in that respect. He has many friends and doesn't have a mean bone in his body.  I put my poor mother through hell and back when I was in elementary school.

I think many of things that I went through in school made me the person that I am today.

I got better in Middle and High School. I did have better memories in my later years of school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)