Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Expiration date on shampoo?!?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM
  • 9 Replies
Did you know that there is one?

My younger two had bad cradle cap past their toddler years, especially ds. I could pull dry skin off the scalp and they'd have bald spots from the hair that was was attached to the skin. It got worse in winter, so dr told me to use dandruff shampoo once a week. It helped, but I didn't use the whole bottle, that's been sitting in my closet. Well my oldest has been having a little bit of dandruff, so I took it out to use it. I noticed it expired 2 yrs ago.

So is it really no good any more? Will it not work? Will it hurt her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM

It won't hurt her, but it might not work as well.  Some products can become a little funny smelling too. 

See that little thingy that says 18M??  Pitch this product 18 months after purchase to ensure best results :)

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Oh, for cradle cap.... the absolute BEST thing to remove it: Paul Mitchel Taming Spray (child's detangling solution, tear free) Spray it on the scalp on affected areas, let set for a couple minutes, take a soft bristle brush and gently take the brush (at an ANGLE NOT straight) to the cradle cap.  Works WAY better than baby oil, smells great  and doesn't leave the hair greasy.  Also, Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry Shampoo is actually recommended by pediatricians not only as a shampoo but also as a body wash for babies... especially for babies with skin conditions such as eczema and even for adults with psoriasis. :)

Clubpenguin
by Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM
I had shampoo I think it was also head and shoulders and it was old. It separated there was thick cream on one side and thin goo on the other. So I think it does expire.
jaytee
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM
Are these products sold in salons or can I find them at WalMart, Target etc?

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Oh, for cradle cap.... the absolute BEST thing to remove it: Paul Mitchel Taming Spray (child's detangling solution, tear free) Spray it on the scalp on affected areas, let set for a couple minutes, take a soft bristle brush and gently take the brush (at an ANGLE NOT straight) to the cradle cap.  Works WAY better than baby oil, smells great  and doesn't leave the hair greasy.  Also, Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry Shampoo is actually recommended by pediatricians not only as a shampoo but also as a body wash for babies... especially for babies with skin conditions such as eczema and even for adults with psoriasis. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I never thought about it, but I guess it does make sense for the medicated stuff.

praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Go to a salon.  Professional products sold in mass market stores can't be guaranteed.  They may be old, tampered with or possibly even counterfeit.  Also, stores caught selling professional products are actually fined for doing so.  So 90% of the time, the prices of the "professional products" tend to be higher in the store than in the salon, to make up for the fines they are constantly having to pay.  If you insist on going to Wal-Mart, go to the salon inside the store (here it's Cost Cutters) and buy it there, rather than on the Wal-Mart shelf.  That's the only way your product will be guaranteed to be, and work, as it says on the bottle.

Also, right now there is a holiday special on Paul Mitchell sets.  You can get the "Baby Don't Cry" shampoo, the "Taming Spray" and a little elephant body puff in a gift set for like $15. 

Honestly, the childrens' line of products in Paul Mitchell is why I decided to use all Paul Mitchell products in my salon.  My oldest child had eczema, doc suggested the Baby Don't Cry, and it provided relief for my son.  I wanted to offer it to my clients too!  I ended up falling in love with the entire line and getting rid of the other lines I was carrying in the shop.  Not only for superior quality, but Paul Mitchell products are much easier on the pocket book than most professional lines. :)

Quoting jaytee:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM

It's not just the medicated stuff.  It's everything.

Quoting wakymom:

I never thought about it, but I guess it does make sense for the medicated stuff.

jen113000
by Jenna on Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Yea I never thought about it either lol. It might not work as well but I wouldn't think it could hurt her.

jaytee
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Oh, awesome! Thanks so much :-)

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Go to a salon.  Professional products sold in mass market stores can't be guaranteed.  They may be old, tampered with or possibly even counterfeit.  Also, stores caught selling professional products are actually fined for doing so.  So 90% of the time, the prices of the "professional products" tend to be higher in the store than in the salon, to make up for the fines they are constantly having to pay.  If you insist on going to Wal-Mart, go to the salon inside the store (here it's Cost Cutters) and buy it there, rather than on the Wal-Mart shelf.  That's the only way your product will be guaranteed to be, and work, as it says on the bottle.

Also, right now there is a holiday special on Paul Mitchell sets.  You can get the "Baby Don't Cry" shampoo, the "Taming Spray" and a little elephant body puff in a gift set for like $15. 

Honestly, the childrens' line of products in Paul Mitchell is why I decided to use all Paul Mitchell products in my salon.  My oldest child had eczema, doc suggested the Baby Don't Cry, and it provided relief for my son.  I wanted to offer it to my clients too!  I ended up falling in love with the entire line and getting rid of the other lines I was carrying in the shop.  Not only for superior quality, but Paul Mitchell products are much easier on the pocket book than most professional lines. :)

Quoting jaytee:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)