Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need suggestions on "chapter books" for a 9 year old boy..

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 35 Replies

He likes Magic Treehouse and the Captain Underpants books. Any suggestions for other series? Are the Goosebump books really scary or just a tad spooky?

~Jen-Mom to a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old Aussie! Group owner to Northern Il Moms

Come by my blog for homeschooling tips, thoughts, video game advice and general fun!

http://geekygamergalsmusings.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kermitthemom23
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM
My kids love brimstone and lily and the secind book jaspers foul toung. They might be a hair to advanced yet but they are a great kids read
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BLUMENSH9
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

My husband has said that he wants to buy our kids the Encyclopedia Brown series. He said he really loved them growing up. Maybe you could try those. :D

sunflower07
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

my 10 yr. old likes diary of a wimpy kid books

quiltingmom77
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

What about the box car kids books? Those looked very interesting. Maybe go to your local library and check out a few different series available and have your kid choose. The Goosebumps can be pretty creepy for kids, but it depends on the kids I would say. If he likes animals you could check out the black stallion series ( one of my fav's as a kid). The Guardians of Gahoole are neat as well as the wolves of the beyond.

Good luck :).

nicole1319
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

HowTo Train Your Dragon....I believe it is a series

Series of Unfortunate Events.....

2boysmommy.js
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM
i was gonna suggest magis tree house. We got the first book for my six yo, he loves me to help him read it. I dont think goose bubps is too scary, i remember reading them around age tenish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You could try the American Chillers series by Johnathan Rand. 

They are a little creepy. But the ones I've read have been more cheese then really scary. The kids love them.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

My boys are 8, 9 and 10 yrs old and love the Goosebump series.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

He might also like the Hardy Boy book series.

Diary of  Wimpy Kid series is a favorite among my 3 boys as well.

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Collection is another series my boys enjoy.

They also read The Chronicles of Narnia Box Set.

If he is into Fantasy stories, he might like Secrets of Droon Box set. My youngest like a few of those.

The ''Dark is Rising'' series by Susan Cooper is another good one the boys liked this summer.

And there are the Harry Potter books, books by Beverly Clearly, Judy Blume, The Hobbit, the books in The Wizard of the Oz series, and

Here are few suggestions from the ''Walton boys all time favourites'' bookshelf: Everything by Gary Paulson,''Hatchet'' etc.; Absolutely everything by Roald Dahl; Many books by Louis Sachar such as ''Holes'';Books by David Almond such as ''Skellig'' and ''Heaven Eyes''. Donna Jo Napoli's ''Stones in Water''; E. L. Konigsburg's books such as ''The View from Saturday'' and ''From the Mixed up Files....''; ''The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles'' by J. A. Edwards, and a really fun book called ''The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure''. Happy summer reading, Debby Walton. All worth checking out. Mine loved most of them.

And here are a few suggestions I found in a quick search...

Dinotopia
Redwall
The Phantom Tollbooth
A Wrinkle in Time
A Series of Unfortunate Events

Farmer Boy( Little House) This is Laura Ingalls Wilder's beloved story of how her husband Almanzo grew up as a farmer boy far from the little house where Laura lived.

My boys LOVE to read, so they have read about all I have listed.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Magic school bus chapter books, the bad kitty series, Nate the great series, diary of a wimpy kid series, flat Stanley series all come to mind...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)