Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

multiplication already?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 23 Replies
My third grader has started learning multiplication from 0's-12's already. I had nightmares about math in school, and I'm afraid he's following in my footsteps, he just doesn't get it, and therefore, makes no effort to learn. Any suggestions to help him learn these, something to make it seem fun? Desperate, he's an a b honor roll student, and I'd like to keep it that way, he's real proud of that.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kathynej7142007
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yup..My Daughter is in 3rd grade and they are doing x's tables and cursive writing already.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Multiplication is simple to make fun and easy.  

You'll need an old egg carton, one that holds a dozen eggs, and some play doh or clay.  Have your child make tiny, pea sized, balls out of the play doh.  Then place the balls into the egg carton to help with multiplication.  For 4x2 you would put 4 balls into 2 of the egg cups and then count the balls, so 4x2=8.  This works very well for the visual and hands on learners.  In theory he will eventually begin to memorize his facts and won't need to rely on the egg carton forever.

calimom1123
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Wow im surprised they just started.my dd is in 3rd and they started multiplication in 2nd. By the end of 2nd they knew 0-5's,and10's,11's. This year they learned the rest which theyve already learned and practice. The best way she learned was by songs. Her teacher made a bunch of songs to sing the tables to. Like her 8's are sung to happy birthday.. Starting with 0,8,16,24..etc. She puts her fingers up as she says them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

My son can't wait for 3rd grade, he has always been really fascinated with cursive and multiplication. I love the egg carton idea, I'm going to have to keep that in mind for this summer.

My advice to you is don't pressure him, he's obviously a bright kid, help him through it but don't fret about it. I was extremely worried because my son had a MAJOR struggle with learning how to read, but when I laid off of him and just let him come into it on his own and enjoy it he blossomed! He isn't the top reader in his class, but he is average and I accept that, as long as he enjoys it and doesn't turn his back on reading.

Iluvjandkplus8
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM
My son is just now starting it in 2nd grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

no clue my dd is 7 and in 2nd grade and some of her math sheets have divison and multiplications on them her teach taught her how to draw circles and lines to figure out the answer

momof3woods
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Quoting momof3woods:

My third grader has started learning multiplication from 0's-12's already. I had nightmares about math in school, and I'm afraid he's following in my footsteps, he just doesn't get it, and therefore, makes no effort to learn. Any suggestions to help him learn these, something to make it seem fun? Desperate, he's an a b honor roll student, and I'd like to keep it that way, he's real proud of that.

I'll use the egg carton idea too, I will try not to put too much pressure, it's hard with the incessant notes from the teacher, but he'll get it eventually, thanks for all the suggestions ladies!
SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM
My son is in first grade, but is doing multiplication / division and basic algebra. He goes to a third grade class for math, then back to 1st grade for everything else. I like the egg carton idea; and flashcards might help. Sean taught himself, so I didnt have to do anything; however, not too sure about my 5 year old and math, though.
Diamondolls
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

My twins are in 3rd grade and they just started their multiplication unit as well. They are both really struggling with it too. I loved the idea about the egg cartons, for the hands on learning. I think I will try that!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I am known as the math wiz around here, but in all honesty I sucked at multiplication and division in elementary school.  I wish I could take credit for the egg carton thing, but it was how I learned.  The idea came from my third grade teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)