Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate & Discuss: KINDERGARTEN

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 91 Replies

Each state has an age of "compulsory attendance" - which is the age at which a child legally MUST be enrolled in some schooling.

For purposes of THIS DISCUSSION ONLY, let's say that for your state, any child turning 6 years old by September 1st must enroll in school that year.  

For purposes of THIS DISCUSSION ONLY, let's call that first year of schooling FIRST GRADE.

Questions:

1) should any education - as in KINDERGARTEN that is attended before age 6 (the age of MANDATORY school attendance) - be provided and funded by the local/state/federal government - as in FREE TO ATTEND?

2) should it be available on a "sliding scale fee" (as in those who can afford more - pay more) if it is not MANDATORY since the child is not required to attend school per the law?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I think kindergarten is important for social skills. I like the sliding scale idea. The school districts are in financial distress and they could use the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it should be free. It's such an important stepping stone to school, and let's face it most kindergartners learn a lot, not just social skills like they used to.
Math, reading, science is all a part of the day now.
I think not going to kindergarten, and starting in 1 grade will cause a child to be behind.

With that being said, we have two districts in our state that have cut the kindergarten program completly due to budget cuts. So, you either pay for private school or your kid starts in 1 grade. I know the districts had to make some pretty tough choices, and did the best they could. But, I am glad we don't live in a district like that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I personally don't feel that the federal government should be involved with the education of our children at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Quoting bmw29:

I personally don't feel that the federal government should be involved with the education of our children at all.

What about local and/or state government?

auroragold
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Quoting matofour:

I think it should be free. It's such an important stepping stone to school, and let's face it most kindergartners learn a lot, not just social skills like they used to.
I think not going to kindergarten, and starting in 1 grade will cause a child to be behind.

With that being said, we have two districts in our state that have cut the kindergarten program completly due to budget cuts. So, you either pay for private school or your kid starts in 1 grade. I know the districts had to make some pretty tough choices, and did the best they could. But, I am glad we don't live in a district like that!

so,though the law doesn't REQUIRE school until age 6, the state should provide free school prior to that?

Starting at what age?

bmw29
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a problem with state and local. Public education is suppose to be overseen by the individual states. I would prefer to see a system where the schools are ran lile a business and parenta could choose what school no matter the type to send their children. It's my stance that school choice is something we are lacking in this country.

Quoting auroragold:

Quoting bmw29:

What about local and/or state government?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe, but Would have to look it up to double check.
My state is not required until seven, which is why kindergarten can be cut.
And yes, I think the state should pay for kindergarten (if that's 5-6 then yes that age)
And I also think paying for pre k is vital. My state does not, but study after study will tell you how important early childhood education is.

Quoting auroragold:

Quoting matofour:

so,though the law doesn't REQUIRE school until age 6, the state should provide free school prior to that?

Starting at what age?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Yes it should be (and is) free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Considering in order to be promoted out of K in my county you must be reading in a guided reading level C, I don't know how they would expect children to be ready to start 1st grade reading without a grade to teach those skills.

Full day K has been the norm in my district for a LONG time -it is hard to imagine anything less here...
auroragold
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So why not make school MANDATORY at an earlier age then?

Quoting matofour:

I believe, but Would have to look it up to double check.
My state is not required until seven, which is why kindergarten can be cut.
And yes, I think the state should pay for kindergarten (if that's 5-6 then yes that age)
And I also think paying for pre k is vital. My state does not, but study after study will tell you how important early childhood education is.

Quoting auroragold:

Quoting matofour:

Starting at what age?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)