Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O.. Who fault is it?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM
  • 32 Replies

The father/daughter dance post got me thinking.

There were many saying how they hate those dances because their DD doesn't have anyone to go with. One mom even said her school didn't allow those dances because of some of the girls don't have a male figure in their life to bring.

My question is this... Although, it's very sad that these girls don't have someone to go to that one dance with, should the dances be banned? Who's fault is it that these girls are so sad?

Obviously, it's not the girls fault but it's also not the school's or the other kids who do enjoy those dances.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Why don't you suggest a rent a father for the dance. There are many gentleman that would be glad to take a child. many of the school parents in my school district have been fingerprinted and have had a background check so the fear of the rent-a-father having a record is reduced. My uncle went with me and I had a good time but i don't think he did...too many children for but I was happy :-).

jennbec1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think the kiddo's school does this, but I would love if they did. Personally, I don't think just because some girls don't have father figures it should be banned. 

2boysmommy.js
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM

we kinda had a discusson likethis at pto las week  one parent said they wanted a grandparents breakfast, since we had one for mom and one for dad. well not every kid has grandparents, so some didnt wanna do it,, well not every kid had a mom or a dad. you cant make every one happy. 

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM

DD´s dad is not in her life...I know it would  be AWFUL for her if her school did something like this, but I still would support it. Just because DD´s dad is a jerk doesn´t mean the true FATHERS and their daughters shoule miss something like this!

Oh, and if you´re implying it´s MY fault, well, yeah, up to a certain point, it is... but to me, that is really pointless, you know... No use in trying to find whose at fault in something like this...And in some cases, it´s nobody´s fault (there are kids whose fathers are deceased, and thus they don´t have a father)...

mommy259
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM

No the dances should not be banned...I wish my DD's school did this..I think it would be awesome....I am sorry for the girls who don't have a father, but why can't another male in the family bring them or maybe a family friend..

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this
They need to call it something different like a "My hero" dance and they bring any male role model in their lives. That way it isn't as heartbreaking.

I have a friend who's DH passed away a year and a half ago. Their DD is 9 yo. While she deals with the loss well, I know it would be heartbreaking for her to miss out a dance for dads n DDs. Or for kids who's dads are deployed...why should they miss out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM

When my dd was in 3rd gr, the 1st graders had a Dad and Daughter's dance, several of the bus stop kids were going to attend this with their fathers..my dd was crushed to death..true it was only for the 1st graders, and she was 3rd, but it goes to remind her that she has NO father to go with.  I think maybe more fitting if it were a community event, then it'd be maybe LESS of a ""ha ha -you have no dad" kinda thing.

CallxMexMama
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:28 AM
My daughters school do these dances but they are called "special guy" dance/day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I wasn't implying anything. I am truly wondering what others thought.

I believe that it's up to the household to figure out how to handle there not being a father to take the child.

I don't agree with anyone who thinks because everyone can't participate then it shouldn't happen because it's not fair. Life is not fair, others have things you don't, you have things others don't, that's just life.

Quoting Belovedmoonpixi:

DD´s dad is not in her life...I know it would  be AWFUL for her if her school did something like this, but I still would support it. Just because DD´s dad is a jerk doesn´t mean the true FATHERS and their daughters shoule miss something like this!

Oh, and if you´re implying it´s MY fault, well, yeah, up to a certain point, it is... but to me, that is really pointless, you know... No use in trying to find whose at fault in something like this...And in some cases, it´s nobody´s fault (there are kids whose fathers are deceased, and thus they don´t have a father)...

Judith3247
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM
:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)