Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

missing school to go on cruise

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: would you let your child miss 4 days of school to go on a free Disney Cruise?

Options:

yes, of course!

Yes if they could make up the work.

never! school is to important

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 80

View Results

Hello everyone. I am looking for opinions on this topic. I have a 8 year old in 2nd grade who is an A/B+ student  and My son is in Kindergarten and the teacher says he is doing great and is at the top of his class. (they don't do actual grades in Kindergarten here). My mother in law booked a Disney cruise for us in Febuary. It is a a big family event. Her and her siblings and thier kids (My husbands cousins) and thier kids(who are my kids age). (They all live far away from us also) are all comming. So it is like a family Reunion. They are paying for the whole thing!  The downfall is my kids will miss 4 days of school. Our school district has strict rules against absences.  If you miss more than 2 days of school you have to have a doctors note. If you do not then it is unexcused and you can't make up the work.  If you have 5 unexcused absenses or tardies in a year you will get a phone call from a social worker. (When my daughter was in kindergarten I had to have a phone interview with a social worker for being tardy 5 times in 5 months. ) I have asked my sons teacher and she told me just to go on the cruise and when we get back to write a note to her and the other teacher that says we went out of town for family business. She told me not to mention it to my daughters teacher. regardless she will probably not be able to make up her work for that week. which may bring down her grades for that semester. (I am not worried about my son as he is graded on overall progress for the 9 week periods). what would you do? would you go on the cruise even if that meant a weeks worth of zeros for your second grader?  My mom says it's wrong and doesn't think we should miss school for that. I have mixed emotions. I Do not like the idea of them missing school but then again I feel like it's only 4 days and it's only 2nd grade and kindergarten. any opinions would be great thanks!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlelight777
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I say go for it. When will your kids get to do this again? Have fun!! The memories will last a lifetime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iluvjandkplus8
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Hmmm...that's tough. I've never heard of such a strict attendance policy. That's a once in a lifetime trip. Memories you and your kids will have forever. I would think if you let them know ahead of time, they would let them do the work and turn it in before you left. Good luck! I probably would go on the trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Talk wit her teacher to see if they will accept a project from the trip - educational that is. What type of ship, tonage, travel speed, design, etc. If not, go and have fun. Next time the grandparents want to book a cruise ask them to do it during Spring break.

momma0ffive
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
That to me is not a hard decision to make.... A weeks worth of grades or a lifetime of memories?! Enjoy the vacation!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I would go. I will say that ds wouldn't miss school because we HS so he could still do his work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

YES! It will be a great experience!

madcrazymom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
No I wouldn't. Why would she plan a trip in the middle of the year for people with school aged kids??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2twingirl797
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I would say go! Look at the experience your kids are going to have.

momma0ffive
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Well when you are footing the bill for that many people you probably are going ro look for the cheapest plan

Quoting madcrazymom:

No I wouldn't. Why would she plan a trip in the middle of the year for people with school aged kids??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lylasa
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

All of these yes's make me feel better. They did try to book it during christmas break but the week they chose was what worked for everybody. Plus it is an expensive cruise it is $10,000 just for the 5 of us to go and it is more expensive if you go over school holidays. However I have told them that this is the one and only time the kids would miss school for something like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)