Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech delay?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
Ds has always pronounced R's as L's and TH as F (teeth as teef) I was told he would grow out when he was in pre-k by a speech pathologist but he's in First grade and about to be 7.
Should I be concerned?
I'm thinking of taking him to the pediatrician to get a referral for a speech therapist...would you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarx19
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM
My son is 7 years old and also have a speech delay. He been evaluated and getting Speech Therapy at school and I think if you think this way then you should not delay and evaluate it Asap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my123sons
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM
There are some sounds that children will typically have problems with at certain ages. Schools aren't required to provide speech services unless the problems are keeping the child from progressing in the general curriculum. The substitutions you listed are typical for the age. Two of my children have received speech services from the ages of 2 and 4, but their delays cause them extreme difficulties in reading. The mistakes your ds is making are typical for the age. Those sounds aren't a problem unless the child is still not pronouncing them correctly at 8 or 9 years of age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smcclure2005
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:42 AM

My son has a speech delay. He has been in speech therapy since he started pre-school he is now in 3rd grade and they are wanting to test him to see if he has other learning issues. I think most of his issues is he is so focused on saying the words right that he is not understanding what he is reading but I will see what their test shows.. If I were you I would speak with his teacher and see what you are able to do to help him. Good Luck

hopealways4019
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM
My oldest son had speech therapy up until 5 grade, every child develops at a different rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mik1of3
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Nah.  DD was diagnosed with delayed speech after her 3rd birthday..she wasn't talking except for the basics.  We were told to put her into preschool, she would catch up. 
This was 12 years ago...and even at 15 she occasionally misprounces R's as W's,  F's instead of THs....and says things like 'guhrls' instead of 'girls', mainly when she gets tired.   
Check with your pedi just to be sure...but I think he will grow out of it.  With our DD, it was mainly she was just being a 'lazy lip'....and like I said, she lapses back into it when she gets very tired. 

2cadifference
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You can ask the school for a trial speech period...or talk to his teacher. My son has an evaluation on his trial tomorrow. I think he talks alright but his teacher wanted it...He loves Speech, I would ask what I had to do to get him tested through the county....I have seen some of the things they work with ds on and they are kind of clever....There for awhile we had to talk with our teeth clenched for better tongue control...heck, it made me say things better. =)

2cadifference
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:54 PM

This is my thinking...and a lot of it has to do with how others fail to enunciate and they pick up on the laziness of it...Once he hits the teenage years you won't know which it is or what most of the words mean...but seriously if it concerns you ask to have him checked out.

Quoting mik1of3:

Nah.  DD was diagnosed with delayed speech after her 3rd birthday..she wasn't talking except for the basics.  We were told to put her into preschool, she would catch up. 
This was 12 years ago...and even at 15 she occasionally misprounces R's as W's,  F's instead of THs....and says things like 'guhrls' instead of 'girls', mainly when she gets tired.   
Check with your pedi just to be sure...but I think he will grow out of it.  With our DD, it was mainly she was just being a 'lazy lip'....and like I said, she lapses back into it when she gets very tired. 

alison08
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM
He won't get services in school unles there is educational impact but those are later developing sounds but they should be in by 8/9 ish. I would probably attempt to get speech in school or see if you can get insurance to pay for private. Good luck!
2cadifference
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM

And in our house, we live in the South and dh grew up in MA soooo we are so messed up. I am surprised ds goes as good as he does. I am making Mr. North come with me to the evaluation meeting...so everyone can see what we are dealing with. LOL

mik1of3
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Quoting 2cadifference:

And in our house, we live in the South and dh grew up in MA soooo we are so messed up. I am surprised ds goes as good as he does. I am making Mr. North come with me to the evaluation meeting...so everyone can see what we are dealing with. LOL

We're in Texas...and my DD speaks like a Boston yankee.  Don't know why...it may be part of her speech 'impediment'.  But when she visited Chicago and DC, people got a kick out of the teenage Texan who spoke yankee!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)