Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working mom and I want to homeschool my two boys

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 5:01 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hello Everybody<

I am 30 years old and I have 2 beautiful young men in my life.  My boys are 7 and 5.  One of them has ADHD.  I decided to homeschool them because I do not believe the teachers are giving my boys a love for education.  My mother who I believed should of been a teacher should get paid all of their salaries.  The only thing is she lives on the other side of town and she is going through some financial hardships.  Well needless to say I want to put my boys in homeschool.  The sad thing is...I do not believe I have the patience to do this.  I am also attending online class and I really feel in my heart that this is something I should do.  I have been praying about it and sometimes it keeps me up at night thinking about putting them in homeschool.  My children are in grades kindergarten and second grade this year.  I am going to let them finish the year at their current school but then sign them up with one of these online k-12 homeschools.  I did see one Christian Homeschool that I wanted to enroll both of them in.  I think this will give us a chance to be closer to eachother.  The other thing that I am concerned about is putting them in something to keep their minds focused on learning.  Their paternal grandmother who run a daycare is not too far away from me but all the children do there is play.  She teaches basic things to the children but other than that the children are watching learning shows and she shows them love and care and they would be with their grandmother.  My youngest son T he is a charmer and makes lots of friends.  He is very smart and outgoing and can pick up on things really quick.  My son X-man he is a sweet and smart little guy but he has a disability.  He has ADHD.  He goes into trances and the teachers are not doing much to help him.  He is in side classes but I don't think it is helping them.  I think that it would be best if I teach my own children. I just will need the Lord to help me a lot.  I want the Lord to give me patience and allow me to do this for them.  I need them to advance in their learning because they are really behind.  I really want to do this for my children because I feel in this day and time that you have some teachers that care and some that do not.  I have taken a lot of their fun things they use to do away because they have not been doing anything in class.  I feel since teachers don't get paid much they are not really doing their jobs as teachers.  I am their first teacher since the time they came into my life.  I want to continue to be their teacher in life and in learning their ABC, math, science about the Lord whatever it takes.  I am new to Cafemoms but I really need some prayer warriors to pray for me.  I have a lot on my plate.  I will be returning to work and going to school along with raising and schooling them.  Does anybody have any feedback?  Does anybody homeschool their children and work too and go to school themselves?  If so, I would love if you would respond to this post.

Thank you and God bless

A mom concerned about her children's future

The Lord is my help!

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 5:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 7:19 AM

My concern is what you said about your one son going into trances. Do you mean like daydreaming? Or does he seem to check out and it takes several tries to get him to realize someone is talking to him? If it's difficult to get him to respond when he goes into those "trances", you might want to talk to his dr about it. Absence seizures can look like someone is just daydreaming. (I've seen my bff's son have this type of seizure)

Good luck!

december911
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I would love to home school mine when the time comes but there is no way I can do it with work too...I have considered looking for someone to come to my home to do it though...my only concern is lack of socialization for them
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Good luck momma. I used to stare off into space all the time as a teenager and it took mom a while to get my attention. Also had a habit of scratching my neck when I was staring into space but I quit doing that. Have you taken your son to a doctor to see if he is suffering seizures when he goes into those trances? If you feel homeschool is the best thing for your children then you might try Happy Homeschoolers or Homeschooling Moms on Cafemom to get some ideas and help. Yo ucan do anything you set your mind to. Good luck.
andrea96
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I have never home schooled, but I went to school full-time while working full-time, and I honestly don't see how you will have the time to add home schooling your children on top of that. I barely had time to eat or sleep when I was in school and working. All of my "free" time was spent studying. Have you considered hiring a tutor or maybe looking into a private school that might be more suitable for them?

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

My fear would be that with you working, plus you going to school yourself, and homeschooling your kids as well, that you would be putting too much onto your plate for one person to handle.  Not saying that it's not doable but I know I would have an extremely difficult time handling all of that.  A couple things you could look into to help ease the workload for you:

Do you know if there are any homeschool co-ops in your area?  From what I understand, it's basically a group of homeschooling moms who share the teaching responsibilities for all of their children.  Say one mom is strong in math, she would teach the math stuff to all of the mom's kids.  Maybe another mom is strong in history so that mom teaches all of the history stuff to all the kids.  If you could find something like that I think it would make it easier on yourself plus then your kids would still get to interact with other kids.

Are there any private schools in your area that you can look into?  Generally speaking (not always) the private schools are going to be a bit better in the education department than the public schools. The private schools aren't depending on the gov't funding so they don't have to cut this that and the other to make ends meet.  Also, I believe many private schools offer tuition assistance so if that is a concern it's still worth looking into.  My boys are 5 and 7.  My 7 year old is in 1st grade right now.  My 5 year old (just turned 5) will start Kindy in the fall.  They are / will be going to a private, Catholic school.  We apply for tuition assistance every year and even though we don't get enough to cover the entire tuition, we get enough to make the remainder more manageable.

You didn't mention the boys father in your OP.  What is his involvement in the boys life?  Is there any way he can do some of the homeschooling to take some of the pressure off of you?

Lordismyhelp
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Thank you for your reply. I think I would have to go with the private school route. Sorry it took so long to reply.
Lordismyhelp
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Hello,

No, it does take him sometime to answer my call though.  He is really a dreamer. One time he told me he wanted to paint the playground different colors and he was thinking about it a lot LOL

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I don't think I could work full time and homeschool, personally. At that age, I wouldn't have had anyone to watch my son during the day. Plus, given my busy work schedule, I would feel like I'm cheating my son.

I'm sure in certain circumstances it could be done, but I've just never really considered it because we've been happy with my son's school and it just wouldn't be do-able with our schedules.

c_turtle21
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Look into programs such as K12 (a virtual public school). This type of program allows you the freedom to move at your own pace(within reason) but takes the difficulty of having to create a curriculum on your own. We used K12 for 2 years until my girls decided to return to a traditional public school.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM

One of my best friends works full-time and also homeschools her two oldest children (9 and 6/3rd and 1st grade). She is lucky, though, because she is a hairdresser and makes her own schedule. She works 8am-noonish, then comes home for a long "lunch" and goes back 2pm-6pm(ish). She works with the kids during her break and then again when she comes home at night. Plus she has two younger kids (2 1/2 yrs and 2 1/2 mos). It CAN be done...but it takes a TON of time and effort. ESPECIALLY if your kids are the type to goof off (like her 6yo).

I will say, though, that I like the K12 program. I've been helping her homeschool since the baby was born and I really like the way it's structured.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 4 1/2 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David due 04-15-2012

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)