• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms of kindergardeners

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM
  • 42 Replies
What level books are your kids reading as this point? Ds can only read level one books byhimself right now. Is he far behind or ok? I'm really shy in person so I don't talk to any of the other parents at his school and the only friend I have with a child older than him is autistic so that doesn't help either. Also does anyone know what level do they have to be at to go into 1st grade?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacie0375
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

My son is in kindergarten and he is reading at a first grade level. In my state they do what is called an IRI and they have to name so many letters and so many sounds in a minute. He named 38 letters and only had to name 30 to pass, For sounds he knew 36 and was only supposed to be able to know 30 of them. She then gave  him a first grade test of having to soundout nonsense words, he was supposed to be able to soundout 10 words and he was able to sound out 14 of them. 

skylersmom44
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

My son is reading Level one books now. Your son is right on track. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Dd is reading at a beginning 1st grade level, but she was reading on her own at 4 1/2 y/o. Sounds like your ds is right on track. 

jiffypop2207
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Ok this is gona make me sound stupid but I thought there were only 26 letters in te alphabet. Where do u get 38?

Quoting stacie0375:

My son is in kindergarten and he is reading at a first grade level. In my state they do what is called an IRI and they have to name so many letters and so many sounds in a minute. He named 38 letters and only had to name 30 to pass, For sounds he knew 36 and was only supposed to be able to know 30 of them. She then gave  him a first grade test of having to soundout nonsense words, he was supposed to be able to soundout 10 words and he was able to sound out 14 of them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If it's done the same way as at our school, the kids are shown a list w/ a bunch of random letters and they just go down the list naming naming as many as they can in 1 min. Sounds are done the same way. Letters are repeated, so the list would look like this:

a i d m w h o x k d b z i etc. . .

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Ok this is gona make me sound stupid but I thought there were only 26 letters in te alphabet. Where do u get 38?

Quoting stacie0375:

stacie0375
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

It is a mixture of uppercase and lower case letters which totals 52 letters.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting stacie0375:

"In the future, how we educate our children may prove to be much more important than how much we educate them." Thomas Friedman

"If you can't fly then run. If you can't run then walk. If you can't walk then crawl. But whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
gingerwife
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

my son is in Kindergarten and is just now starting to read, so I would say your kid is just fine :)

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

My niece is a kinderkid this year (she lives with me)....
She can name all upper and lower case letters, and knows all their sounds (yeah).
Based on the reading program our school uses she can read kinder level books, and if they get her to sit still she can get through a 1st grade book.

I would not WORRY at this point. I homeschooled my oldest one for 2 years, and while reading and researching various things... I found that children on their own will pick up reading between ages 5 and 10, and the public schools tend to push this before children are ready.

My advice would be to continue to read to him, ask him if he sees any "popcorn" words on the page (or find out what the teacher uses for the "magical" frequent words), and if he can tell them to you.

Whatever you do, keep it fun, don't force it.... don't make it a battle.

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Same here

Quoting gingerwife:

my son is in Kindergarten and is just now starting to read, so I would say your kid is just fine :)

danie24
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM
My daughter is in kindergarten and reading at a lower Jr. High level.

She was born at 28 weeks gestation and almost died. Because she was born so early, she was always behind physically. Couldn't stand on her own until 12 months, couldn't walk on her own until 16 months, etc.

Because of this we did a lot of cuddling and reading. I think that played a huge part in her intellectual development. But the teachers think she may be "gifted" because she is ahead in reading comprehension, writing and math. Not as far ahead as she is for reading, though.

In my honest opinion.. he sounds pretty typical for his age. If you want him to improve I suggest reading to him often. How often do you sit down with him to read?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)