Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

treating adhd with out med..any advice piog

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
Looking for any advice from parents of children with adhd who do not medicate..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof2wa
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copgirl112
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM

It depends on how old your child is but coffee or any caffeine beverage helps kids with adhd. Another big part is diet low-sugar foods,veggies,fruits,whole grains.

Blessed073
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Quoting copgirl112:

It depends on how old your child is but coffee or any caffeine beverage helps kids with adhd. Another big part is diet low-sugar foods,veggies,fruits,whole grains.

How does caffine beverages help with adhd?
LET GO & LET GOD
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Caffeine helps because it's a stimulant, just like the meds are.

Quoting Blessed073:

Quoting copgirl112:

How does caffine beverages help with adhd?

Diamondg4u2cme
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

we tried for 6 years not to medicate. when she was in school we had to cuz she was so bad at school and up in the office every day and did very poor in her work. so if you find a way let me know.

BekkieBoodle
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Yupp.... My brother used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans. It worked :)

Quoting copgirl112:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

We pulled Ds out of public school and started homeschooling because I wanted him to be able to cope without meds. Homeschooling is muh morelike having a job. You can get upand get water, or take a potty break when you need to. For Ds it means get up and walk around the house a few times, do some jumping jacks when he needs to and then refocus. It's totally changed his outlook on school and studying.

We do  limit sugary foods and red dyes because it MAY help. However, with Ds I havent seen a connection though some kids REALLY react . I dont seem to have problems when we have birthday parties and a lot of junk food any more than a regular day.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You could try this diet. I didn't have much success with it when it came to my son. Others have had success with it. 

raczac
by Cindi on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The doctor told my mother to give my brother coffee or mt dew before bed said that caffeine calms children down that are adhd where as kids whom are not adhd and drink these it will hype them up. This was the only way we could get him to sleep at night. Good luck

melakay1981
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

My daughter is 10 and just now starting to calm down.  We have talked to the DR at one point about medication and I just did not feel it was safe.  This is my own opinion on this and I am not putting others down who do choose to medicate their kids.  This all happened when she was 7 and I have done tons of research on this because I was so against medicating.  One thing I can tell you is to cut out ALL red dye.  You are going to have to read the labels on everything he/she eats and drinks.  You would be surprised at the things that have red dye in it.  I would rather my daughter drink sprite than fruit punch.  Now if we are at a birthday party and the cake had red icing on it we will allow her to have it then, but on a regular basis she knows she is not allowed and it really does not bother her.  Include more fresh fruits and veggies to his/her diet.  The #1 thing that needs to be done with a non medicated ADHD child is they need a way to exert energy.  Lots of outside activities and running.  You need to wear them out as much as you can.  Winter time we really try to keep her as busy as we can even it means going and walking around the mall for an hour.  Godd luck and I do believe it is possible to not medicate a child of you have the proper knowledge to do it.  It is a stuggle everyday I will not lie to you but it is worth it to me.  She is an honor student and very loving, she just has a hard time staying calm in most situations.  I will say since she has gotten older and matured some it has gotten easier.  I hope this was some help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)