Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

alone at lunch

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 15 Replies
Would you be upset if your 7 year old had to sit at a table by himself during lunch because there was no space for him to sit with other children? My ds was very sad about this. Why couldn't he just move his chair to another table or why didn't the cafeteria ladies have enough compassion to move some children over with him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

IDK, our school has assigned seats in the cafeteria at that age and each table has room for 16 kids.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I would be upset too. Why couldn't they assign a couple other kids to sit at his table too?

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I don't know that I would be upset. I might just explain that sometimes this happens and we just have to make the most of it. Our school has a special table for kids with allergies. And some-days it's only one child at that table.

My middle son used to ask to sit with his friend on days he noticed he was alone at the table. He just had to make sure his lunch was peanut free.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Was this a one-time thing? Or is he normally assigned away from other kids? If it was a one-time thing, I would change my response. I wouldn't be that upset. If it was an everyday thing, then I'd be upset.

guccimomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

same here

Quoting Barabell:

Was this a one-time thing? Or is he normally assigned away from other kids? If it was a one-time thing, I would change my response. I wouldn't be that upset. If it was an everyday thing, then I'd be upset.

juggling ~ *Amber* ~

aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM
One time thing? I would consider it an oversight and I would tell him sometimes things like that happen. If it happens all the time I would be upset!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melakay1981
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM

That kinda makes me sad to think about a little kid sitting at a table all by himself.  I agree there is no reason they could not have pulled a few kids over to that table and let them sit with him.  I know he does not know me but give him a hug from me :(

hopealways4019
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM
I wouldn't be upset, only if the kids were being mean to him, and wouldn't sit with him, I will be upset.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Instead of being sad for him and projecting bad feelings, teach him to be proactive.  Tell him in the future if he is alone, or one of his friends, to invite them to sit with him.  School personnel are FAR too busy to worry about who has someone to sit with, etc.  It's our job as parents to teach our kids how to communicate and navigate socially.

LCG83
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Ya really. Poor kid.

Quoting Barabell:

I would be upset too. Why couldn't they assign a couple other kids to sit at his table too?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)