Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ungrateful 5 year old

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 16 Replies
Idk where this ungratefullness and selfish ways have come from...me and husband def r not those kind of people and he never showed those signs...he now EXPECTS everything from everyone and if he doesnt get his way he sulls up and crys...i tell him all the time to suck it up and we dont act that way...he is fine after that but he still continues to be a little butt head...he is the only child right now im 22 weeks pregnant...any advice on how to stop his ways!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

If he crys when he doesn't get his way, put him in time out. Maybe have him go through his stuff and donate things he doesn't play with ot use to help him see that there are people out there who don't have much. If he will not be polite and say thank you, take away the item until he will.

caitslaton
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Ive raised him to have manners to say yes maam no maam please and thank u...its just like lately he has completely forgot what ive taught him since he could talk!! Like everything i say just goes in one ear and right out the other...it pisses me off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysty923
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM

could it be the new baby coming?

If he feels threated he could be showing it in this way.  Keep things from him till he appreciates is my advice - but talk it out!  Ask whats wrong?  Ask about baby etc

danarae1976
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

A lot of it's his age.   My daughter does the same thing and she's almost 6.   We just stay consistent about everything. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Consistancy is key.  Enforce your household rules, stick to a routine, and when he cries send him to his room or somewhere to calm down.  Tell him that you will talk to him when he is calm.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

This could be his way of acting out since you are pregnant. Maybe he is afraid you won't have enough time for him once the baby arrives.

Have you tried spending extra time with just him? Have you talked to him about his role once the baby arrives.

I agree with consistency in punishing him for his outbursts and behavior. Sending him to his room until he can calm down are great suggestions.

guccimomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Sounds like a typical 5 year old to me.  My 10 yr old & 8 yr old acted that way around that age and my now 5 yr old ds does it too.  I always utilize(d) the time out chair and kept things consistent.  Raising kids takes a lot of patience.

caitslaton
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Well we always tell him he is going to be such a great big brother and he has someone look up to him now...he seemed fine with it...we always takes time for him...he is a big daddys boy...he stays up my butt after he geta home from school then my husband gets home from work he is all up his butt...i hope he drops this stuff soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monjerm01
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM
I also agree with this..

The new baby can bring up different behaviors for siblings..

Good luck!

Quoting mysty923:

could it be the new baby coming?

If he feels threated he could be showing it in this way.  Keep things from him till he appreciates is my advice - but talk it out!  Ask whats wrong?  Ask about baby etc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Sounds like a typical 5 year old bro me, be consistent and this too shall pass!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)