Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Conflict of Interest?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Max
  • 13 Replies

What do you think about teachers teaching their own children?

What about children of friends or family members?

Should schools have policies in place to avoid a conflict of interest?

I'm asking because next year I will have one of my best friend's daughters in my class. The year after my son will be in her class. We both expect our kids to get the same treatment as the rest of the class. I think both of us understand how bad it could be for our kids if they get accustom to favoritism or special treatment. But I wonder if this could be an issue sometimes. 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I am sure sometimes it's an issue. But in many schools there is not much you can do about it. I know schools where there is only one teacher per grade.
It's gotta be a hard year. But, hopefully everyone can pull through and be okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting matofour:

I am sure sometimes it's an issue. But in many schools there is not much you can do about it. I know schools where there is only one teacher per grade.
It's gotta be a hard year. But, hopefully everyone can pull through and be okay.

Obviously there are times where there's no option. Our policy is that teachers can't have their own children if there is another option. There hasn't been a time when there wasn't in all the years I've been at the school. 

gregheather
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We had that happen in my school - husband and wife taught the same grade - there wasn't a way to avoid teaching their own kid - in fact I think they were harder on him than everyone else!!!

Cindy18
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Knowning you, I don't see a problem with you treating all the kids the same. And if she's your best friend then I'm sure she will do the same.

The problem I see arising is when the other parents find out that you are friends. They may see favoritism where it really isn't. People may think that you are failing their kid and not hers because you are friends, kwim.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Cindy18:

Knowning you, I don't see a problem with you treating all the kids the same. And if she's your best friend then I'm sure she will do the same.

The problem I see arising is when the other parents find out that you are friends. They may see favoritism where it really isn't. People may think that you are failing their kid and not hers because you are friends, kwim.

I wonder about that too. 

Her daughter is gifted and has always been a top student.  Since her mom is a teacher at the school she knows all her previous teachers, but I will be the first one that's really a personal friend. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

The policy at our school is that you aren't supposed to teach a relative if it can be avoided.  It is really hard sometimes not to have a friend's child in class, especially when the teacher lives within the district boundaries and has children.  Obviously that teacher is going to become friends with other parents at dance classes, sporting events, birthdday parties, etc.  I think that it is something that can be managed by a teacher who doesn't normally show favorites. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

The policy at our school is that you aren't supposed to teach a relative if it can be avoided.  It is really hard sometimes not to have a friend's child in class, especially when the teacher lives within the district boundaries and has children.  Obviously that teacher is going to become friends with other parents at dance classes, sporting events, birthdday parties, etc.  I think that it is something that can be managed by a teacher who doesn't normally show favorites. 

With rerlatives it's easier to define. But with friends where do you draw the line? Especially working at the school. We're all pretty much freindly with each other. 

auroragold
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I would go so far as to wonder if the concern about perceived favoritism might, in fact, create the OPPOSITE scenario.  Might the two of you have HIGHER expectations on the children so that there is no perception of special treatment?

mysty923
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I don't think it is a problem

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I agree that a teacher shouldn't have their own child in their class if at all possible. Other relatives' kids, I'd worry about the parent expecting special treatment for their child. Friends, well, that can't always be helped, esp. if it's a small community.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)