Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reading tips...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone have any tips to get my 8 year old son who loves to be read to, to like reading to himself just as much?  He loves the DIary of A Wimpy Kid and Magic Treehouse books, but when told to go read to himself for awhile, more often than not it turns into an arguement with him.  Help!!!  His reading grade has gone down 10 points since the beginning of the year and it was already low.  We are looking into getting him a reading tutor through the school but I was hoping to get some tips in the mean time.  Thanks in advance!  :)

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
thebailiffs
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Have you look at your local library, sometimes they have a "read to the dogs" program.

Is it hard for him? I wonder if he would do it with an Audio book and print edition?
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Does he not like the books currently that he has? How about showing him a list of books that are now made into movies. Tell him if he reads the book then you will watch the movie together. That worked a bit with my youngest son. He would tell me after the movie that the book was MUCH better. So now he is excited to pick up a book.

Neon1980
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Does he not like the books currently that he has? How about showing him a list of books that are now made into movies. Tell him if he reads the book then you will watch the movie together. That worked a bit with my youngest son. He would tell me after the movie that the book was MUCH better. So now he is excited to pick up a book.

I actually made a deal similar to this with him this afternoon.  He really wants to see the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie(s), so I told him if he reads the entire book then we will get the movie.  He read 12 pages to me this afternoon.  It took awhile but he did it with me only helping with the longer and harder words.  He actually just turned 8 today and we bought him a DS and a couple games for his birthday, so I also told him if he reads one complete book by himself to himself and can answer questions from his Dad or myself along the way about the book (to make sure he is really reading it and that he is comprehending what he is reading) then we will get him another DS game when he is done.

Thanks for the advice!  Hope it helps soon :)

karisma22
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Good luck.  My daughter, who is 12, still likes being read to.  She liked reading when she was younger.  The last several years, not so much.  She did read when she had to, but it was like pulling teeth.  Last year she discovered the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  She loves them.  She's read all of them.  This year she has to earn a certain amount of points for reading different books.  The books are worth a certain number of points.  In December we spent two hours in a book store.  She would look up the points for each book that she was interested in.  She decided on the James Patterson book the Gift and a book called the Looking Glass War.  Since she has started reading on a regular basis, her reading score has gone from a 9.4 to 12.6.  

Maybe take him to a book store and let him find something new?

Tara922c
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM

He may be choosing books that are too hard for him even though other kids his age are reading the same books, and they are at his grade level. For independent reading, kids should be reading at about a 95% success rate. Have him choose a book, open the book up and have him read one page. If he can read every word the book is too easy, if he needs help on more than 5 words the book is too hard. You can also read books with him.  Get two copies and talk about the book before you start to read. For example, what you think the book might be about based on the title. Have him read one chapter, then come back together to discuss what you both read. If he likes a certain series, try looking for a book with the same author but a different series. I worked with second graders last fall and only about 4 out of 20 were ready for chapter books. He may just need easier reads when he reads alone, but I would still read the harder texts together to keep him interested in reading.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I completely agree.  My 8yr old is an advanced reader but isn't as fond of long chapter books.  She's chosen chapter books from the library several times, but she just hates that they take so long to read so rarely finishes them.  She wants to know the end of the story NOW, and it takes too long to get there.  

My older kids now read very lengthy books with no problem, but when they were this age, they much preferred shorter books, even comic books.  There are plenty of shorter, non-chapter books that are still enjoyable for this age group.  I'd foster the love of reading over reading a certain reading difficulty level.  Go to the library and stock up on a variety of books that your son can try.

Quoting Tara922c:

He may be choosing books that are too hard for him even though other kids his age are reading the same books, and they are at his grade level. For independent reading, kids should be reading at about a 95% success rate. Have him choose a book, open the book up and have him read one page. If he can read every word the book is too easy, if he needs help on more than 5 words the book is too hard. You can also read books with him.  Get two copies and talk about the book before you start to read. For example, what you think the book might be about based on the title. Have him read one chapter, then come back together to discuss what you both read. If he likes a certain series, try looking for a book with the same author but a different series. I worked with second graders last fall and only about 4 out of 20 were ready for chapter books. He may just need easier reads when he reads alone, but I would still read the harder texts together to keep him interested in reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)