Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does it cost to send your kid to summer camp?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've never sent my kids to summer camp, we've never needed to but every student still gets a summer camp packet sent home. Last Thursday my kids brought home this year's camp packet, though I didn't get a chance to look at it until tonight and I did it out of curiosity. When I was a kid my folks sent my siblings and I to camp for only two summers but back then parents paid one fee at the beginning of camp, you had to be a resident of the town the camp was held in, and you went from about a week after school ended until one week before school started and for an extra fee you could also send your kid to camp on Saturday.

I just called my mom and asked her if she remembered how much camp was when I was little (keep in mind I'm only 25) and back then camp was $50 for the entire summer, she also told me when my 12 year old cousin was in kindergarten camp cost $50 for two weeks. I'm looking at the camp prices this year...$60 for 5 days, $65 for non-residents. That price just seems outrageous to me. When I was in camp we did more than just hang around the park and go swimming, we went on field trips once a week. Camp no longer offers field trips. Swim time is only half an hour a day. Other than that campers have access to two of the 5 baseball fields, the picnic area, basketball court, tennis court and volley ball area but from what my brother told me (his girlfriend's nephew goes to camp every summer) campers only get to use the basketball, tennis, and volleyball areas if no one else is there which is almost never during the summer.

So all this info got me wondering how much summer camp costs in other parts of the country, and what those other camps offer to it's campers.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

My son goes to Boy Scout Camp for a week. It's $255 for him and $125 for me to chaperone.

SarahLizyB
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
800 a month for day camp at the boys and girls camp here. They do various activites and go to musuems and parks a few times a month, but that cost extra. For something more specialized like sports camp, it's 1000-3000 a month. This is in San Diego. I went to overnight camp in PA when I was 14 and it was 5000 for the summer.
eye2eyepsy
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I am sort of looking for a great place to send my 10 year old son. I been seachin ghigh and low and I can honestly tell you that the most complete package I have some accross is Pali Adventures in Running Springs, CA. The Summer Camp they run has 16 different specialties to choose from and plenty of activities for active kids. I'll leave the information below, see for your self.

Pali Adventures

www.paliadventures.com

Strega
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:52 AM

It's some ridiculous amount now. It was so cheap when I was a Kid. I remember that I went for a Week every Summer. We're glad that our Kids have no interest in going because it's so expensive now.

wedding website

PhotobucketFollow Me on Pinterest

M.I.L.F201
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
If they are not in scouts, I'll say about 2 grand! If they are in scouts, the counsil has financhal grants you can apply for but they may have rules that go with it like you've had to sell cookies that year. Also, if they've never been to camp, I wouldn't reccomend sending them for the whole summer. Start with 1 week, then next year 2 and so on. When I was a child, I went to girl scout camp every summer for 2 weeks and that was enough for me. Even though I loved it and looked forward to it all year, I wanted to go home and be with my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My daughter's school does a summer camp and that's what we plan on doing this year.  She's in kindergarten so this is the first year we've had to worry about it.  The fee is $150 per week, so about $600 per month.  They feed the kids breakfast and they also provide lunch on Mondays and Fridays.  Fridays are also field trip days and there will be additional fees associated with the different trips they take.  DD goes to the after school program now and loves it and it's the same people who do the summer camp so I'm sure she'll have fun.

Her old preschool also does a summer camp for elementary school kids but it's closer to $750 per month and I think there is also a one time $50 activity/supply fee.  They do feed the kids breakfast and lunch all week and you don't have to pay anything additional for field trips.

Luckily, the summer camp through the school is a little cheaper, in a more convenient location and I think she will like it better.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM
i never send my son either we do things together.
Angel mommy to two boys,
Tyler
Aug 9th,02
Jacob
dec 28,11
gracie0221
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

my dd is too young for summer camps, but here's a bump!

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

My son goes to sleep away camp for 10 days in the summer. It's a sliding scale fee. Last year I paid $150.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM
When I went to camp, it was a private camp (as opposed to a township run camp). I know it was over $1,000 for 8 weeks. That camp is now a township camp and it's where my kids go. It's cheaper than a private camp but not as nice IMO. They love it so that's good but I see the differences from when I went there. I @aven't seen this year's prices but it'll probably be about $3,000 for both including field trips. I have to pack lunch (when the camp was private, they supplied lunch).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)