Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Online colleges

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

Anyone have any info or experiene with Universtiy of Pheonix or any of the other online colleges?  Would you go to one?  Are they good? Can you atually get a job when done?

by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

DH went to Phoenix to finish a degree he had started years before.  It hasn't hurt him in getting a job in any way at all....but he DOES have industry experience.

As for the "experience" itself - - it worked well for him since he was working full-time and a parent.  There was a combination of class-work and on-line work as well as group collaboration.  It worked for him.

jennbec1
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Thanks, Rora. I'm trying to figure out how I can manage grad school.

KamiB79
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I'm going to college online. I go through Columbia College.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Many regular universities have online degree programs. I got my degree from a college local to me, and I took about 90% of my classes online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristanene
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I'm enrolled at Walden University and have been going there for well over a year.  They offer financial aid, the classes don't demand too much of your time, and the professors are great.  I love it and would recommend it to anyone!  I attended Kaplan University online as well, but didn't care for it at all. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I have no experience. But here's a bump for ya.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Here's another BUMP!

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think it depends on which field.  There are some fields that a University of Phoenix type degree doesn't mean as much.  I couldn't tell you which ones.  I'm a college advisor and that is what I was told by a college advisor that helps plan graduate school plans for students.

mhaney03
by Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I was in U of P till I really looked into their accreditation for the program I was in and switched to Devry.  More expensive but supposedly worth more.  I guess I'll really know when I look for a job, won't I.

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Devry is a joke. Its way overpriced. My hubby went there about 10yrs ago. They supposedly say a certain percentage get job placement which isnt true. Most of his classmates didnt get anything. He is currently laid off and while they said job placement help for life,thats not the case. The classes are way overpriced!!! You can take the same classes at a jr college for alot cheaper. 2 of our friends are recruiters to devry and they kinda have to stretch the truth to get kids to sign up which is wrong to me! Plus devry filed for chapter 7, heading toward bancruptcy.

Quoting mhaney03:

I was in U of P till I really looked into their accreditation for the program I was in and switched to Devry.  More expensive but supposedly worth more.  I guess I'll really know when I look for a job, won't I.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)