Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ANYBODY ELSE TIRED OF BEING SICK????

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM
  • 31 Replies

This has been a bad year for our family as far as sickness goes. We get over something for a week, and low and behold we are sick again. My son has had strep throat, 2 stomach viruses, a sinus infection, influenza, and about 6 colds this winter. We have been sick all winter long. Anybody else going through this, or is it just our family?

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

We havent been bad at all (Knock on wood!!!) this year.

I had bronchitits, df had a small cold, and dd had a sinus infection and strep when school started.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I have been battling a cold, stomach virus and bronchitis for over 5 weeks now with no breaks inbetween.  I am finally starting to feel somewhat better, but I am so far behind on everything that I wear myself out trying to get caught back up.  Luckily I have been the only one that has been down for weeks on end.

caitslaton
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Goodness...yall just spreading it back around to each other lol...we did that here with the stomach virus..i finally got lysol and lysol everything down!!!! And kept going behind everyone and making them germx alll the time

Finally it left us lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I've been pretty healthy.  No colds so far and the last time I was sick, other than a headache, was when I had a sinus infection over Thanksgiving.  DD has been fairly healthy so far too.  She's only had 2 colds since school started last August and has only missed one day of school.  She actually just got over her first cold about 2 weeks ago and now she's on her second one.  It always amazes me how quickly she can get another cold, almost immediately after she gets over one.  I keep waiting to catch one of her colds, considering all of the germs she shares with me, but I haven't yet.  Now that I said that I will probably end up sick as a dog.  lol

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting caitslaton:

Goodness...yall just spreading it back around to each other lol...we did that here with the stomach virus..i finally got lysol and lysol everything down!!!! And kept going behind everyone and making them germx alll the time

Finally it left us lol

Actually, I do not believe it is the same virus, because they all have had different symptoms. Each one is slightly different than the other, so I think my son is catching the different viruses from school and bringing it home to us. My Mother-in-Law actually had bronchitis and she caught this cold virus on top of it from my son. We are so SICK of being SICK!!!!

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Last school year it started and this one has been the same.  The whole school year we've pretty much been sick.  If it's not an awful flu, it's a bad cold, bronchitis 3 times in the last two years and I've never had it before that, sinus infections, and just feeling blah most of the time.  

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

DS has been getting sick somewhat often since school started, but in the summer he's almost never sick. He has a pretty strong immune system; his ped seemed very surprised that he made it to 5yrs old before needing his first round of antibiotics. I believe most kids get 6-8 colds per year, plus flu/etc. Come to think of it, there is one almost certain way for DS to get sick - not wiping down shopping carts. Almost every time we haven't used sanitizing wipes he's come down with something.

I used to get sick a lot; my immune system finally caught on and started doing its job. Now I just have to deal with digestive problems that make me feel sick anyway o.O

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

For those of you with younger elementary kids, they do tend to get more colds in the first few years of school if they didn't go to day care when they were infants.  It is becasue their immune system hasn't had to deal with as many viruses as it would have if they were in day care. 

My oldest son got his first dose of antibiotics the year that he went to kindergarten.  My youngest son got his first dose that very same year.

Mommy_Jenx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Same here with me and the kids. (dh has escaped it all) i don't get sick too often...maybe 3 colds a year. But they usually last longer than usual. However, this has been horrible! Me and the kids had strep, they all had a flu bug, I had bronchitis, now I have a cold. They have had colds. It is getting real old and I am so ready for spring! About 4 different schools around here have closed for a few days over the past few months due to Norovirus being so bad.
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

For those of you with younger elementary kids, they do tend to get more colds in the first few years of school if they didn't go to day care when they were infants.  It is becasue their immune system hasn't had to deal with as many viruses as it would have if they were in day care. 

My oldest son got his first dose of antibiotics the year that he went to kindergarten.  My youngest son got his first dose that very same year.

My son's pediatrician said the same thing. My son didn't need his first antibiotic until he was in Kindergarten as well. But at what grade does the sickness slow down? I definitely hope next year is better, because my son is never sick in the summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)