Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disneyland 'Bomb Scare' Was Handled in the Goofiest Way

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
  • 5 Replies

Disneyland 'Bomb Scare' Was Handled in the Goofiest Way

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

mickey mouse disneylandDisneyland was NOT the Happiest Place on Earth today. Not for the tens of thousands of people stuck in the parking lot for 3 hours due to a "bomb scare" that turned out to be ... ha. Not that scary.

Apparently there was an object of ... um ... questionable intent (?) spotted in a tree near the park entrance by a security officer (one who as it turns out apparently needs binoculars or glasses or a hobby) at approximately 7:10 a.m. this morning.

So in a very TSA-esque move, Disney officials put the park on lockdown, trapping lots and lots and lots of families in their cars (Son of a Mickey, can you imagine the tantrums happening in those vehicles?!). Two words you never, ever thought you'd hear in the same sentence: "Disney" and "lockdown."

I tell you what, I bet there were lots of other words you never, ever thought you'd hear at Disneyland when those families found out what the suspicious object really was ...

It was a rolled-up piece of paper. Mmm-hmm. Oh, and it gets better!!! It was a rolled-up piece of paper with a "goodwill spirit message."

According to Anaheim police, a ``free spirit'' callled them when he heard about the lockdown, identifying himself as the person who left ``some rolled up paper that contained, basically, a goodwill spirit message,'' in the tree.

``First he called us, and then we made contact with him,'' said Sgt. Bob Dunn. ``He explained it to be a good message that he placed in a tree, and we're in the process of speaking with him.''

No official -- or comprehensive -- explanation has been given about this whole "goodwill spirit message" custom (for lack of a better word). I mean, I'm guessing "goodwill spirit messages" are a custom, because it sounds vaguely like it might belong to the tradition of some indigenous tribe or another. The Native Mouseketeers?

In their own attempt at a goodwill spirit message, the folks at Disney are keeping the park open an hour later than usual to make up for all that trapped-in-the-parking-lot time.

I seriously hope they threw in a few complementary churros.

Would you want to be reimbursed if you were stuck in the Disneyland parking lot for 3 hours?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I would expect a few meal vouchers also, seriously if I was forced to wait in the parking lot, I would expect more.

thebailiffs
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I was at the park and spoke to the officer with the bomb smelling dogs.  I don't care that it was a waste of time. I am so glad that they have procedures in place and can handle things like this.

Everyone always complains! Better safe than sorry

janitablue
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I agreed .

Quoting thebailiffs:

I was at the park and spoke to the officer with the bomb smelling dogs.  I don't care that it was a waste of time. I am so glad that they have procedures in place and can handle things like this.

Everyone always complains! Better safe than sorry

hopealways4019
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM
We're going this summer, hope nothing like this happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cara5
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ive been to Disney a couple of times and may be going back later this year.  If they thought the treat was serious enough to close the park Id bet there was more to the story than a wad of paper.  They dont hire rent a cops and wal mart greeters to staff their parks.  

I would be cranky, frustrated and disapointed if we had to spend half our palanned day at Disney sitting in the parking lot, but I would rather them check out whatever was wrong and keep my family safe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)