• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about my 7 year olds bellly button??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

Im not quite sure if this is the right area to put this question, but here it goes. My 7 year old daughter still has brown crusty stuff from her umbilical chord. I know you might be thinking its dirt. but its not. I really thought it would just go away on its own and i have scrubbed it in the bath and let it soak all the time and still isnt coming out. I have read to use peroxide or alcohol. Any suggestions? Im tired of people thinking its dirt!! Even the doctor said its fine and it will come off, granted that was a few years ago. Any advice is great or if anyone else has this issue?? I feel like a horrible mom cuz i didnt take care of this sooner. frown mini

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
donyabug
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM
I would try the peroxide or alcohol. It isn't hurting her right? So you aren't a horrible mom! I'm sure it will be fine. Just do what you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

are you sure it's not simply discolored skin?

Surely, any crusted up skin would have come off years ago

vocalmommy2004
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM
No it doesn't hurt her. I don't think its discolered skin. I will try peroxide or alcohol. I just wasn't sure if any one else has experienced this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I doubt peroxide or alcohol are going to anything to something that's been there for 7 years. 

When was the last time the doctor looked at it? When were you told it was part of the umbilical cord? I can't see how that could hang on for all these years. 

I would bring her in and ask the doc again. Maybe even to a new doctor. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

That seems really odd.  My youngest son kept his umbilical cord stump for a long, long time.  Like it was still there at the 2 month check up and the doctor told me that if it was still there at the 4 month check up they were going to remove it.  So I have a very, very, very hard time believing that it is still part of the umbilibal cord.

auroragold
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I'm still thinking it's a discolored skin tag. I can't imagine "dry tissue" hanging on for 7 years of regular bathing, swimming, etc. It's really odd....

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I would take her back to the doctors and get it looked at. I can't imagine it would be part of the umbilical cord.

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I would have to agree with the other moms here.

family in the van   Mom of four

Cindy18
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM
I would ask the doctor again because it can't possibly be the cord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I am in agreement with the other ladies. Talk to the doctor. I doubt it's the cord. Maybe just discolored skin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)