Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He can't close his eyes :( piog

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM
  • 45 Replies

Allan told me tonight at bedtime that he can't go to sleep because bad things happen in his eyes. He has a lot of bad dreams. Just about every other night he will have a bad dreams. He used to have night terrors where he would wake up screaming for over an hour and I could not get him to calm down no matter what I tried. If I tried to hold him he would hit or kick me. If I tried to talk to him he would scream louder. I even told his doctor who suggested waiting until he had been asleep close to an hour and then sort of move him to where it interrupts his sleep but does not completely wake him up. I did this and his night terrors happen very rarely now though. The dreams happen all the time. He has woken up yelling "No, no, no!" and just really terrified. He has told me about sharks biting him and dragons and all kinds of things. It's nothing he is watching on TV because we don't have cable. He plays video games, like Super Mario but it is not scary and there is nothing in the game that is similar to the dreams he tells me about. He does not get to watch scary movies at all either. This is something that has gone on for a very long time. He remembers most of his dreams too and he thinks they are real.

I have tried to explain to him that those things did not really happen and that he was just dreaming. What can I do for him? He is not due for another check up until closer to July but should I try and take him back to his Doctor? I mean, is that something they can even do anything about? Do any of you have any suggestions or have any of your children ever dealt with this? I hate that my son is afraid to go to sleep at night.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fairywings1223
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

My oldest son used to have nightmares and we had the hardest time falling asleep. We talked to his dr and all and they suggested to not let him watch tv at night time. But nothing seemed to help him. He out grew it but it took awhile.

CafeMom Tickers      Elizabeth

Domanic                     Whitney 

MacaylaMac     

AllanRaesMomma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

That would make sense, but we don't even have cable. He does not watch TV... He plays video games like Super Mario or Wii Sports games. This has been going on a lot longer than that though...

Quoting Fairywings1223:

My oldest son used to have nightmares and we had the hardest time falling asleep. We talked to his dr and all and they suggested to not let him watch tv at night time. But nothing seemed to help him. He out grew it but it took awhile.

Fairywings1223
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

He had nightmares for a little over a year. It was really hard but I don't think it was bad as your situation I could calm him down pretty quick but he would lay awake for hours and want to fall asleep at school

Quoting AllanRaesMomma:

Allan told me tonight at bedtime that he can't go to sleep because bad things happen in his eyes. He has a lot of bad dreams. Just about every other night he will have a bad dreams. He used to have night terrors where he would wake up screaming for over an hour and I could not get him to calm down no matter what I tried. If I tried to hold him he would hit or kick me. If I tried to talk to him he would scream louder. I even told his doctor who suggested waiting until he had been asleep close to an hour and then sort of move him to where it interrupts his sleep but does not completely wake him up. I did this and his night terrors happen very rarely now though. The dreams happen all the time. He has woken up yelling "No, no, no!" and just really terrified. He has told me about sharks biting him and dragons and all kinds of things. It's nothing he is watching on TV because we don't have cable. He plays video games, like Super Mario but it is not scary and there is nothing in the game that is similar to the dreams he tells me about. He does not get to watch scary movies at all either. This is something that has gone on for a very long time. He remembers most of his dreams too and he thinks they are real.

I have tried to explain to him that those things did not really happen and that he was just dreaming. What can I do for him? He is not due for another check up until closer to July but should I try and take him back to his Doctor? I mean, is that something they can even do anything about? Do any of you have any suggestions or have any of your children ever dealt with this? I hate that my son is afraid to go to sleep at night.

CafeMom Tickers      Elizabeth

Domanic                     Whitney 

MacaylaMac     

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I would call the doctor and explain what is happening. And ask if there is something you can give him that will help him sleep better.

What does he eat before bedtime? Do you think it is something that might be effecting him that way?

AllanRaesMomma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Allan will cry for what seems like forever, but he just falls back asleep. I've tried letting him come sit with me on the couch or reading him a story but he never wants to. He eventually cries until he falls back asleep. I feel so bad and it seems like there is not much I can do. I can't ever predict which nights it will happen either. Sometimes he just cries for a few minutes and by morning he does not even remember it. Most of the time though, he remembers what his dream was about.

Quoting Fairywings1223:

He had nightmares for a little over a year. It was really hard but I don't think it was bad as your situation I could calm him down pretty quick but he would lay awake for hours and want to fall asleep at school

Quoting AllanRaesMomma:

AllanRaesMomma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I would never just give him medicine without asking the doctor, but when I was pregnant I was told I could take Benadryl to sleep. Do you think it is something his doctor would suggest? I'm going to call in the morning for sure and find out. If not Benadryl I have also heard of Melatonin, but I don't know much about it. I mean, maybe it is possible if there is something to help him sleep it may help him sleep more soundly to where he doesn't dream or at least to where he doesn't remember them? I've always said I would NEVER give my kids medicine to put them to sleep, but I do think I am going to bring it up to his doctor and see what he thinks. Allan doesn't have a problem with falling asleep to begin with, it is after he's been asleep for a couple hours that he wakes up scared. His bedtime is 8:00pm and he wakes up about 7:00am.

Quoting kmrtigger:

I would call the doctor and explain what is happening. And ask if there is something you can give him that will help him sleep better.

What does he eat before bedtime? Do you think it is something that might be effecting him that way?

PinkParadox
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

How old is he?  It is typical around age 4...they start having more vivid dreams.  Try to read really good stories before bed.  You can use an air freshner and make it into "monster away or bad dream away spray"  (sounds silly...but, it does work)  You can double check his diet, to see if anything triggers more restless sleep.

There is also some good general info here

http://www.parenting-ed.org/handout3/Specific%20Concerns%20and%20Problems/nightmares.htm

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

It is very typical around 4 years old to start having more vivid dreams and remembering them very well.  I would try the "bad dream away" spray, it worked very well in my house.  Also limit caffeine, it is in anything chocolate as well as sodas.  You do still need to be careful of what he watches on tv.  Just because you don't have cable doesn't mean that he isn't seeing scary images on the tv, the local news is really scary most days.

proudmum23
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Some one in another group mentioned using a flash light. He can have it when he goes to sleep and every monster is scared of the light.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM

My son had a lot of nightmares. He did realize when they were happening that they were dreams, and so we would talk to him a lot about dream control. He had a lot of dreams about vampires and zombies. I would tell him when they started to scare him, picture that he had a pie in his hand and throw it at the vampire. Then picture the vampire turns into something silly, like a clown. It actually worked eventually for him.

Now, he only gets nightmares when he's stressed, and if he talks about his stress to us, his nightmares go away. But he's 12 now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)