Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

anyone's kids get migraines?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM
  • 39 Replies
I was wondering if anyone's kids get migraine headaches? How old were they when they got diagnosed with them? What was the diagnoses process like? Are they taking anything for it? And what do they do to relieve the pain?

I think my 7yr old might be having migraines. The times when he's had them, they're either on the front part of his head or on only one side of his head (right or left). He also ends up getting a fever. I get migraines, so I know how painful they are. I often end up in the er with an iv put in and a shot of demerol. :o/ I got diagnosed when I was 5yrs old.

I can't seem to find out his triggers since his headaches are so random. Anything I can do to lesson these headaches? I hate to see him in pain. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnmom4lif
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

my son had mirgraines something awful. at first they thought it was because he was always dehydrated and he didnt drink enough but then they found out it was the meds he was taking for his adhd. we switched his meds around and hes been fine now. so sorry your son is dealing with that i know its rough. good luck!

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Oh no, I hate migraines! I get them and I wouldnt wish them on anyone. Could it be possibly from allergies? Allergy season is bad this year and for me it triggers migraines and sinus headaches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LorisChar
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

My kids don't get them (thank God) but I was dignosed wiht Cluster headaches when i was 5 years old and migrains when I was 13. There isn't anything  I can take for the cluster attacks, I juts have to deal with them (their are toooooo many risks wiht the drugs that are out there that Ijust manage them myself). As far as the migrains go, the meds made me worse. So I just learned what my triggers are and when I ahve one coming on I know how to lesson the symptoms before ti's full blown. Good luck, I hope you can help your little guy.

crysjuls
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I'm glad you figured that out and changed his meds!

Quoting rnmom4lif:

my son had mirgraines something awful. at first they thought it was because he was always dehydrated and he didnt drink enough but then they found out it was the meds he was taking for his adhd. we switched his meds around and hes been fine now. so sorry your son is dealing with that i know its rough. good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysjuls
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM
He has asthma. It always flares up when he has a cold. They did an allergy test on him (blood draw) and it came out negative for allergens. So idk if its that.

Quoting calimom1123:

Oh no, I hate migraines! I get them and I wouldnt wish them on anyone. Could it be possibly from allergies? Allergy season is bad this year and for me it triggers migraines and sinus headaches.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysjuls
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I was prescribed maltix when I was 12 or 13. That helped me a lot. But not sure if he's old enough to take that. I'm going to ask his dr about it. I take excedrin migraine with a coke and that helps so much. But now excedrin has a recall! Idk what I'm going to take now.

Quoting LorisChar:

My kids don't get them (thank God) but I was dignosed wiht Cluster headaches when i was 5 years old and migrains when I was 13. There isn't anything  I can take for the cluster attacks, I juts have to deal with them (their are toooooo many risks wiht the drugs that are out there that Ijust manage them myself). As far as the migrains go, the meds made me worse. So I just learned what my triggers are and when I ahve one coming on I know how to lesson the symptoms before ti's full blown. Good luck, I hope you can help your little guy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KraftyMomof3
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

My daughter was 5 when she started having migraines and it was awful to know that she was going to suffer from them earlier than I had.  My daughter's trigger seems to be a severe lack of sleep, so we are super careful and make sure that if she starts with the symptoms right away we keep her home to sleep it off.  Our pediatrician wants us to do Mountain dew or espresso for a caffeine jolt and plenty of water.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

At this moment none of my children get them.

periwinkle163
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My son was diagnosed with migraines at 3 years old. He would wake up in the middle of the night crying uncontrollably, complaining of his head hurting, then he would throw up and go back to sleep. The next morning he would be fine. They did a cat scan to rule out other problems, but based on the fact that both of our families have migraines in the family, the dr. concluded it was migraines.

My son takes Motrin and we put an icepack on his neck, he doesn't get them very often anymore, maybe a couple of times a year.

janitablue
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My son does not suffer from migrane. If he did I would monitor it and record it for the next doctor visit. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN