Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

No goody bags at a party and I am cheap????

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 85 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be upset if your child went to a birthday party and did not come back with a goody bag.

Options:

Yes, I would be greatly offended

No a birthday party is for the birthday child.

Other (Got to say this just in case I missed a choice)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 163

View Results

Hello all...I am new to this group so in case you didnt see my intro post, I am a single mom to a 6 (nearly 7) year old boy who is in grade one.

His party is coming up in Ap. we are going to a local pool. A couple weeks back I was talking to a parent and she was stessing about goody bags and what to put in them, I told her I have never done goody bags and dont plan on stoping (My son normally invites over 10 kids) While I was talking this other mother came up to me, wagged her finger in my face and told me that if her son was GRACING (yes gracing) my son's party with his presence there better be a goody bag or she was taking the present back.

Then she told her son not to play with my son because I was a cheap person and mom son was a spoiled brat. Her son has caused my son nothing but problems, telling him that since he was dating this girl my son was not allowed to play tag with her.

I told both boys that anyone can play with anyone he told me that his mom calls be a b word (he said the actual word) So this kid wasnt going to be invited anyways.

Sorry to be long winded...if you are still with me am I cheap in saying that goody bags are not needed or is being invited to a party, having chips and pop and a cake good enough?

ps- Sorry if this is in the wrong section I am new to posting here.

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CandiceDanielle
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it makes you cheap just b/c you're not doing goody bags. In fact,most items in a goody bag are junk/cheap anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandie66
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I usually do them for every birthday party my daughter has had. I also do them for Christmas and Valentines day for her class and her girl scout troop. I DO NOT expect them when she goes to a party and many times she has never received them. I don't think it's cheap and I do not believe they are a necessity at parties anyway. I do them because I like to, not because I have to.

bmw29
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
No you're not cheap for this. I think it's horrible that children are being raised to believe you get a prize for going to somebody elses party. We will have a world of jackasses before long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandie66
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You are sooooo right, but I shop all year long and have really nice things in mine. For her birthday this year I got super lucky at Claires. They were having a 10/$10 sale and these items were all originally $4.99 - $9.99. And the cutest thing I found was a jewelry set with necklace, ring, bracelet, and earrings that were all cupcakes. I was able to get 7 of those. It was just perfect. That doesn't happen very often.

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

I don't think it makes you cheap just b/c you're not doing goody bags. In fact,most items in a goody bag are junk/cheap anyway.

ambemmons
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Wow! Someone needs to give that woman the waving finger in the face, and someone should teach her son some good manners cause obviously she's doing a terrible job with it! I do goody bags when I can. We are poor and really cant afford bday parties anyways. And we sure as hell dont expect them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

No you are not cheap.  I have always done goody bags but that is because I want to.  I only have one child so I always buy/make the stuff that goes in the bag so it isn't considered "cheap".

For dd 6th bday I am making magnet bottle caps, some hair bows, of course candy and some pencils/erasers for school.

BV88
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM
No. We don't give a crap about goodie bags...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM
No, you're not cheap. While goody bags are nice they are not expected. Ds is normally happy after having a party because he had fun, not because of a goody bag. Plus most of the stuff is thrown out a week later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
berlgirl1224
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I have never given out goody bags and my oldest daughter is 9.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)