Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice & Info #7: When should kids get a cell phone?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 77 Replies

My oldest got a cell phone for his 13th birthday, but my 5th grader is complaining that all of his friends already have phones.

What is the right age for kids to have a cell phone? And what guidelines should they have?

Do you have an opinion about kids and cell phones? Tell us about it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
minimo77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I would say the right time is when they can pay for it themselves.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My rule for my kids right now is that they can get a cell phone when they can pay for it themselves.  I honestly don't see a need for a child to have one sooner.  I also can't see spending the money for something like that for a child.  I myself have the bare minimum.  Mine is a very basic pre-paid cell phone.  I only use it rarely.  30 minutes lasts me longer than 3 months.  I figure if I can get by almost without one then a child certainly can.

intensity9
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think when they are responsible enough...my son is going to be 11 in Sept. & I am thinkin of gettin him a prepaid cell phone through U.S. cellular I would only get him the $10.00 a mth plan though he would only be using it for emergencies & to let me know when he gets to a friends house & when he leaves there & so I can check up on him(he likes ridin bike around town) I am changing cell phones so I am thinkin of givin him my old one  this way I dont have to buy him a new one but if I do buy him a new one it will be the cheapest one since its his first.      

jessicasmom1
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

My 12 year old DD has one , in case she needs to get ahold of me although I see alot of her friends texting her so I would say it is fairly common. I got her one of those tracphone triple mintues for life phones. 

MOMMYKNS0328
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I agree to an extent on when they can pay for it themselves but I also want my teenager to have some way of contacting me if they are in some sort of a prediciment and have no other way home. (of course they would have to be at least 16)

mamivon2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Our kids have our old cell phone. however its a minute phone..

If they want a real phone they have to get a job

shyanntech
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

aawe got one for are 8 year old.. we though there was a bully problem and the schools couldnt or wouldnt do anything for him when he walked home.. as soon as he leaves the school they like its not are problem.. so i got a cell for his safey walking the 5 blocks home.. He is to put it in the teachers desk as soon as he get theres and gets it right before school is over.. i also have it where he cant get calls from 8 am to 3 pm.. so when school starts it is set to not get calls then at 3:15 when school is over it will come back on.. to help the teacher out if its not turned off yet.. Then i also have it set if he loses it or some one takes it we can trace it back to that place.. if we need to.. but its only for safe reasoin why he has it.. he only call serten people on it.. ony family on it.. or 911 on it..  but i really dont like the idea of my 8 year old getting a cell but since the schools where no help i had to go with way with it..

MrsTBailey
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Our son will not have one until he is 16 and that would be prepaid cell phone but we wouldn't have to worry about that for 11 years since he is only 5! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM
That is a very reasonable explanation but can't you get the school more proactive against the issue of bullying and if not can't you get the local law enforcement or your state's govt to get more involved by starting a petition to stop bullying? So sorry that your school isn't doing more to help the students out.

Quoting shyanntech:

aawe got one for are 8 year old.. we though there was a bully problem and the schools couldnt or wouldnt do anything for him when he walked home.. as soon as he leaves the school they like its not are problem.. so i got a cell for his safey walking the 5 blocks home.. He is to put it in the teachers desk as soon as he get theres and gets it right before school is over.. i also have it where he cant get calls from 8 am to 3 pm.. so when school starts it is set to not get calls then at 3:15 when school is over it will come back on.. to help the teacher out if its not turned off yet.. Then i also have it set if he loses it or some one takes it we can trace it back to that place.. if we need to.. but its only for safe reasoin why he has it.. he only call serten people on it.. ony family on it.. or 911 on it..  but i really dont like the idea of my 8 year old getting a cell but since the schools where no help i had to go with way with it..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I think it completely depends on the child and the need. I don't think kids should have a phone for "social" use until they are at least 11 or 12 (I didn't have one until I was 19, but I didn't go out much & there wouldn't have been service at my house anyway)

My husband and I are considering a prepaid phone for our 7 almost 8 year old soon, simply because he and his sister are both participating in activities that could potentially take place at the same time/ different locations. Because of my husbands work schedual, we can't always be with one of them. My daughters 5, I will make sure she has someone there with her, but I'd like to be able to have contact with my son if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)