Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice & Info #7: When should kids get a cell phone?

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest got a cell phone for his 13th birthday, but my 5th grader is complaining that all of his friends already have phones.

What is the right age for kids to have a cell phone? And what guidelines should they have?

Do you have an opinion about kids and cell phones? Tell us about it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

all depends on maturity and trust. If I do not trust my child I would NOT allow a cell phone. If they have proven to me to be mature and trustworthy then they get freedoms, like having a cell phone.

mommysboys123
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I think it's all a matter of your trust in your child.  My oldest ds had a cellphone when he was 9yrs old.  He is now 14 and he pays his own bill each month with the money he earns doing side jobs like cutting grass, shoveling snow, etc.  He knows that at the table, no phone no texting, etc.  Other than that, I'm pretty open about it.  I'm sure my youngest will want one soon enough, but he's only 5, so hopefully not for awhile....

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

My son is in the 5th grade and my hubby and I are probably going to get him one by the summer.

shyanntech
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The law enforcement.. i have called them for stray dogs in my yard. one day i had one on a chain in my front yard it was a nice dog. but with 2 kids and a dog myself i cant let them run in my yard i rent and no fence in yard,, anyway i got this dog on a chain. the only thing for id on its neck was baling string like something you would see around hay balds.. we live in a around lot of farm land but still live in city lines.. so when the pd got to my house "{they told me to let the dog lose and it would go home".. i like i pay your checks your taking this dog to the pound.. we do not have a animal contral person to get them here so its left to the PD to get them all. Then 3 year after this same house.. we also have alot next to yar house that is owned by the same person that owns my house.. well she wants to send people who have been in jail 4 sexlying asoting kids.. so i told her to stop sending them over to take care of the lot.. i will mow it once a week when i mow my yard.. well one day my loan mower craped out and i had to take it to the repeart shop.. well at that time it was a 2 week wait to get it fixed.. even my naibers hear it crap out on me as i was trying to mow the lot..there is one place on the lot where there is a gas line its bent over becouse of her people running over it.. so to stop that she had alot of crap on the lot and i cleaned it up.. you know palts like what they would use with a forklift to move it went they are full so had lot of them in that lot so i stacked them up around the gas line in a way where people couldnt cut that side if that lot anymore.. well since its a gas line i dont mow over there in fair that i would hit the gas line on that side.. so the PD showed up on my front step he was going though the allys at that time and writing tickets for people who havnt mow.. so i ever nicely took him back there and showed him the gas line and said i have sprayed this part and stuff i cant really pull the weeds becouse i brake out eve wearing gloves i brake out.. so i have tryed every thing.. oh by the way the rest of the yard will be done when i get my loan mower out of the shop since it crap out on me when i was trying to take care of the yard.. i shoped him the ticket that they gave me when i put it in the shop so he could see that it was been worked on.. and the person still wrote me a ticket anyway.. so i really dont trust the pd around here.. sorry for the rant but that is why i dont tall them on things like that.. is becouse they dont want to deal with real things all they want to do is write tickets for stuff that done need tickets.. but thats small town living.. if you think  kid coudlnt get kid nap or killed look up michell NEB im about 10 hours from that town i i use to live there drive though there its on highway 26 anyway yes her step dad or her moms bf killed her but that just proves it could happen anywhere.. so i want my kid to be safe.. sorry for the long write back but i wanted to show how they are around my part of the state.. yes there are some good cop but i havent meet them yet around here..

Quoting MrsTBailey:

That is a very reasonable explanation but can't you get the school more proactive against the issue of bullying and if not can't you get the local law enforcement or your state's govt to get more involved by starting a petition to stop bullying? So sorry that your school isn't doing more to help the students out.

Quoting shyanntech:

aawe got one for are 8 year old.. we though there was a bully problem and the schools couldnt or wouldnt do anything for him when he walked home.. as soon as he leaves the school they like its not are problem.. so i got a cell for his safey walking the 5 blocks home.. He is to put it in the teachers desk as soon as he get theres and gets it right before school is over.. i also have it where he cant get calls from 8 am to 3 pm.. so when school starts it is set to not get calls then at 3:15 when school is over it will come back on.. to help the teacher out if its not turned off yet.. Then i also have it set if he loses it or some one takes it we can trace it back to that place.. if we need to.. but its only for safe reasoin why he has it.. he only call serten people on it.. ony family on it.. or 911 on it..  but i really dont like the idea of my 8 year old getting a cell but since the schools where no help i had to go with way with it..

bmw29
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

My son can have a cell phone when he has a J O B!!

4kidsmommy
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I like 13.  That seems about right.  I don't let my kids hemhall around the streets or anything, because I try to keep a close eye on them.  If they go to a friends house. I got to know them....not know them, because we run into each other at stores, or school.  Like sit down have conversations, have lunch you know that kind of thing.  I am just now letting my daughter go over to a friends house she's 11 years old.  That only took me, 1 year of knowing a friend that I went to high school with, to catch up with her life to make sure my child isn't going to be in danger.  If it makes any sense.  Over protective.....you could say that.     But a mother that was sexually molested by her ex-stepfather will do it every time. 

-KJ
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM
We will be getting our 10 & 11 y/o DS's phones before school is out because of sports in the summer. It will be more of a helpful thing for us then a social thing for them. We will just add them to our plan and it's only $10 a month each. So when they can pay, they will. But chores will be done in order to keep them and they will not be kept in their room at night either!

Quoting ermka:

I think it completely depends on the child and the need. I don't think kids should have a phone for "social" use until they are at least 11 or 12 (I didn't have one until I was 19, but I didn't go out much & there wouldn't have been service at my house anyway)

My husband and I are considering a prepaid phone for our 7 almost 8 year old soon, simply because he and his sister are both participating in activities that could potentially take place at the same time/ different locations. Because of my husbands work schedual, we can't always be with one of them. My daughters 5, I will make sure she has someone there with her, but I'd like to be able to have contact with my son if needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
not-the-momma
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's my opinion.   If your child participates in extra curricular activities like school sports, clubs, etc., where the parent isn't present, I would say they should have access to a cell phone for calling for a ride or emergencies.  Children who are too young to be left alone unsupervised (under 12) should not need a phone because they should always be with an adult who should have a phone in case of emergency.  Our son is 14 and most of his friends have had cell phones since they were 11 & 12 because they were always being left alone (unsupervised) or allowed to wander around the streets.  We don't allow our children to wander around or go anywhere parents aren't present so no need for a phone IMO.  Once our children are old enough to pay for their own phone they are welcome to have one, but for now I don't see it happening before they are 16. 

MrsTBailey
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I know what you mean some of the cops around here drive while talking on their cell phones, speed through towns, and almost run into other cars!

Quoting shyanntech:

The law enforcement.. i have called them for stray dogs in my yard. one day i had one on a chain in my front yard it was a nice dog. but with 2 kids and a dog myself i cant let them run in my yard i rent and no fence in yard,, anyway i got this dog on a chain. the only thing for id on its neck was baling string like something you would see around hay balds.. we live in a around lot of farm land but still live in city lines.. so when the pd got to my house "{they told me to let the dog lose and it would go home".. i like i pay your checks your taking this dog to the pound.. we do not have a animal contral person to get them here so its left to the PD to get them all. Then 3 year after this same house.. we also have alot next to yar house that is owned by the same person that owns my house.. well she wants to send people who have been in jail 4 sexlying asoting kids.. so i told her to stop sending them over to take care of the lot.. i will mow it once a week when i mow my yard.. well one day my loan mower craped out and i had to take it to the repeart shop.. well at that time it was a 2 week wait to get it fixed.. even my naibers hear it crap out on me as i was trying to mow the lot..there is one place on the lot where there is a gas line its bent over becouse of her people running over it.. so to stop that she had alot of crap on the lot and i cleaned it up.. you know palts like what they would use with a forklift to move it went they are full so had lot of them in that lot so i stacked them up around the gas line in a way where people couldnt cut that side if that lot anymore.. well since its a gas line i dont mow over there in fair that i would hit the gas line on that side.. so the PD showed up on my front step he was going though the allys at that time and writing tickets for people who havnt mow.. so i ever nicely took him back there and showed him the gas line and said i have sprayed this part and stuff i cant really pull the weeds becouse i brake out eve wearing gloves i brake out.. so i have tryed every thing.. oh by the way the rest of the yard will be done when i get my loan mower out of the shop since it crap out on me when i was trying to take care of the yard.. i shoped him the ticket that they gave me when i put it in the shop so he could see that it was been worked on.. and the person still wrote me a ticket anyway.. so i really dont trust the pd around here.. sorry for the rant but that is why i dont tall them on things like that.. is becouse they dont want to deal with real things all they want to do is write tickets for stuff that done need tickets.. but thats small town living.. if you think  kid coudlnt get kid nap or killed look up michell NEB im about 10 hours from that town i i use to live there drive though there its on highway 26 anyway yes her step dad or her moms bf killed her but that just proves it could happen anywhere.. so i want my kid to be safe.. sorry for the long write back but i wanted to show how they are around my part of the state.. yes there are some good cop but i havent meet them yet around here..

Quoting MrsTBailey:

That is a very reasonable explanation but can't you get the school more proactive against the issue of bullying and if not can't you get the local law enforcement or your state's govt to get more involved by starting a petition to stop bullying? So sorry that your school isn't doing more to help the students out.

Quoting shyanntech:

aawe got one for are 8 year old.. we though there was a bully problem and the schools couldnt or wouldnt do anything for him when he walked home.. as soon as he leaves the school they like its not are problem.. so i got a cell for his safey walking the 5 blocks home.. He is to put it in the teachers desk as soon as he get theres and gets it right before school is over.. i also have it where he cant get calls from 8 am to 3 pm.. so when school starts it is set to not get calls then at 3:15 when school is over it will come back on.. to help the teacher out if its not turned off yet.. Then i also have it set if he loses it or some one takes it we can trace it back to that place.. if we need to.. but its only for safe reasoin why he has it.. he only call serten people on it.. ony family on it.. or 911 on it..  but i really dont like the idea of my 8 year old getting a cell but since the schools where no help i had to go with way with it..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadybugsMonkeys
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM
My daughter is 14 and for the last year or so has had the $20 per-paid flip phone. I get her the $20 a month unlimited text only plan. She does job around the house that pays for her house.
My 11 year old son will be going to camp for a couple weeks this summer so I would like to get him a phone so he can keep in touch.
My 9 & 7 year old thinks we should get them phones as well.......I don't think so!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)