Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you make good coffee?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Max
  • 27 Replies

I needs tips and tricks for making good coffee. I make pretty bad coffee most of the time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

What's the right grounds to water ratio? What's a good brand to buy?

I also end with grounds in it. The filter flops down and the grounds get in sometimes. Yuck!

Help me! 

by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

For a full pot of coffee I usually do 3-4 scoops.  Personally I like the Starbucks brand coffee, but the Dunkin Donuts brand is really good too.

I cold brew my coffee, because I love iced coffee, lol.  It lowers the acid in the coffee which improves the taste.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

kittiecat88
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Maybe u should buy a new coffee pot to start ;) :) umm idk I drink folgers its good but gives me a tummy ache sometimes. For measurements I would just do what the can says and then add a bit more or less depending on how u liked the taste of what the can said. :) I have yet to find a coffee flavor/brand that I'm in love with. I guess for the most part its just trial and error until u figure out what u like :) :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I needs tips and tricks for making good coffee. I make pretty bad coffee most of the time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

What's the right grounds to water ratio? What's a good brand to buy?

I also end with grounds in it. The filter flops down and the grounds get in sometimes. Yuck!

Help me! 

A friend of mine cold brews her coffee but she uses some deceive to do it. The directions on that link seem way easier. Thanks!

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

A friend of mine cold brews her coffee but she uses some deceive to do it. The directions on that link seem way easier. Thanks!

It does get to be a pain, but it's worth it to me.  My stomach doesn't do well with higher acidity.  With the cold brew, I found that the Starbucks brand works best.  I tried the Dunkin Donuts brand and it didn't really taste all that great.  I use the Espresso Roast, but it would work with any boldness.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

beautisticaware
by Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I am going to have to try this.

Quoting jillbailey26:

For a full pot of coffee I usually do 3-4 scoops.  Personally I like the Starbucks brand coffee, but the Dunkin Donuts brand is really good too.

I cold brew my coffee, because I love iced coffee, lol.  It lowers the acid in the coffee which improves the taste.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy_Daze
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Buy a coffee scoop (at most household type stores). If you have 12 cups of water, I use about 8 scoops of coffee. You can adjust to what you prefer. Use filtered water if you can and make sure you clean your pot regularly, depending how often you use it. Cheaper coffee of course won't be as good no matter what you do to it. Some expensive coffee isn't that great though either. I think it's good to just try some out and see what you like. Starbucks can give you samples and even make a french press for you if you ask.

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM

For parties when I need a 12 cup pot I normally use 6 heaping 1/8 scoops (that is the normal measurment for a coffee scooper) and it comes out good.

On a daily basis I use my single cup coffee maker and I use 1 lightly heaping scoop per cup of coffee.  Benefits to this is I get a FRESH cup every single time as well as it's just me drinking the coffee so a full pot is not needed in my house.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

For parties when I need a 12 cup pot I normally use 6 heaping 1/8 scoops (that is the normal measurment for a coffee scooper) and it comes out good.

On a daily basis I use my single cup coffee maker and I use 1 lightly heaping scoop per cup of coffee.  Benefits to this is I get a FRESH cup every single time as well as it's just me drinking the coffee so a full pot is not needed in my house.

That's my problem. I used a Tassimo machine for years so I don't know how to brew it in the regular one. But the disks are too expensive so I bought a regular machine. 

Strega
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a Keurig! Perfect Cup of Coffee every single time!

But if that's not possible, I used to have a regular Coffee Pot. I think I used 5 1/2 Scoops for 1 pot of Coffee. It really depends on the strength you want it. That was about medium. I also almost always used the Store Brand, which was very close to Maxwell House.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

That's my problem. I used a Tassimo machine for years so I don't know how to brew it in the regular one. But the disks are too expensive so I bought a regular machine. 

what is the max. water amount of your machine now?? 2, 4, 10 or 12 cup??

I have this one and I can make a single cup or 2 single cups at a time and I LOVE my machine!!

http://www.amazon.com/Toastess-TFC-42T-Silhouette-800-Watt-Coffeemaker/dp/B000EMDB3C/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1332602510&sr=8-40

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN