Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you be upset if your children had to attend school with no air conditioning?

Lack of Air Conditioning in School Is No Big Deal

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

school classroomAt the risk of sounding like one of those "I walked to school in the snow with no shoes" sermons we've all heard from our grandparents at one time or another, I'm completely aghast at a story out of Oklahoma in which parents are outraged because their precious babies are being made to attend class with no air conditioning. In MARCH.

According to KOCO, some parents in Oklahoma City are complaining that the school district won't turn on the A/C until April 15. Yes, temperatures have been unseasonably high this year, but not that high. It's been in the high 70s there, but you'd think the kids were being baked based on the reactions of some parents.

Parent Lauri Anderson told the station her daughter, 5, was in a terrible state after being subjected to the high heat.

She was nauseous and had a headache last night. Her head hurt, her tummy hurt, she was thirsty. When I picked her up, she was drenched in sweat and had a red face.

Please. I grew up in Nebraska, and my grade school had no air conditioning. Ever. We went until June, and if we were lucky, the teacher would open the windows. It was hot, but we survived; and I'm sure these kids in Oklahoma will too.

It's just another example of overzealous parents who try to pad and pamper their children's entire lives instead of letting them learn to tough things out. I'm certainly guilty of it sometimes too, but for the most part, I think my kids need to learn to sweat and get a few blisters here and there, because that's what's going to prepare them for real life.

I can't tell you how many hot, stuffy board rooms I've sat in for meetings throughout my career, dying from the heat or shivering from the cold. Conditions aren't always optimal, and the sooner we learn to adapt and power through anyway, the better off we'll be.

I'm glad there is air conditioning in schools in general. It's one less distraction for kids, and hopefully that leads to a little bit of greater learning. But learning to be adaptable is even more important, and I think these kids -- and more importantly, their parents -- need to learn to suck it up and stop complaining for the next couple of weeks ... and beyond.

Would you be upset if your children had to attend school with no air conditioning? Do you think parents today try to pad their children's worlds too much?

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Replies (41-50):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Ummm, my kids currently attend a school with no air conditioning and I don't see it as anything to be worked up over.  Dress accordingly and deal with it.

Mom2Just1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Yes. My son's school has central heating and air.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Not in CO but now that we are in Texas yes. Its already in the mid 80s and humid... there is no way I would leave him in a room with no air flow.. ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToniTennille
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

It does bother me especially for the fact they don't allow water bottles in class anymore, even if the teacher sees them fill in at the water foutain. The school they go to has AC in some rooms but not in others and they typically don't use it. It can get over 120 degrees where I'm at.

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

The only ac in our schools are in the library and in the computer labs. We live in VA. I don't worry about my children. Then again we only turn the AC on in our home if it is over 90 degrees.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mysty923:

Give me a break!
Kids need to learn to live!! Air conditioning is a luxury not a need!
We don't use air in my house

If I want to spend money in the summer - I will give it to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen - not use it to pamper myself.

I can't stand how cushy schools have become

The old "when I was a kid"  should never have been abandoned!

That is not true for every place. Average temperatures here are well over 110 degrees for 6 months of the year. AC is a necessity, not a luxury. In fact, we don't have school if the air isn't working.
WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as the my kid's schools kept the windows open on warm days, I wouldn't worry about the lack of a/c in the building.  I would be more concerned if the schools had plummbing issues, or the buildings were falling apart.  A/C is only needed for about 3 months out of the year here anyway.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm in wv and it's been up to 89 already this year and yes i would be mad if there was no a/c. now my kids have no health problems but i get dry heaves and migranes and will vomit and swell horribly in the heat. there have to be kids with health problems too who this can be dangerous for.

When time crashes

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

i have lung problems that the heat makes worse i would die with out a/c. i am not even exaggerating i have wound up in the er when our power went out in the summer. it is not a luxury it is a need.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mysty923:

Give me a break!
Kids need to learn to live!! Air conditioning is a luxury not a need!
We don't use air in my house

If I want to spend money in the summer - I will give it to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen - not use it to pamper myself.

I can't stand how cushy schools have become

The old "when I was a kid"  should never have been abandoned!

That is not true for every place. Average temperatures here are well over 110 degrees for 6 months of the year. AC is a necessity, not a luxury. In fact, we don't have school if the air isn't working.

I have Rheumatoid arthritis but there are many other forms of autoimmune disorders such as lupus, ms, scleroderma etc....

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry this whole is a joke.

I am in Central NY, we don't have air conditioned school buildings. We have a 3 story High School, and the best teachers can do is buy fans for their rooms.

My house isnt' even air conditioned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN