Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Separate classes for twins?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 62 Replies
My girls are 4 (going on 30 lol) and getting to the kindergarten age. They've been in the same nursery group for a while and I know I'm jumping the gun a bit since they won't be starting K for a while but... Should I put them in separate classes?

They're identical girls, and very close. They're together 24/7 pretty much, though they don't get separation anxiety when I take one to the store and their dad takes the other to the playground etc.

I'm just worrying, I guess. Iris is quieter than June, and I want to give them both the chance to fit in and make friends of their own without upsetting their twin bond.

Any other moms of twins who've been thru this: what did you do? How did your kids handle it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I don't have twins, but I'm married to a twin.  My MIL had my DH and my SIl put in seperate classes.  Her reasoning was she wanted them to interact with the other kids.  Apparently when they were little they would play only with each other if they were togather. 

squeekers
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

as a room mom in elementary school, i've seen both twins in the same room and twins in other rooms. i don't really see a big difference until 2nd grade when they may or may not begin to learn at different levels. in kindergarten, twins together might cut down on the fear of a new place.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM
My friend keot her twins together in K but then had them separated after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kesster
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Mine are both pretty social ie June is friends with a boy on our street but Iris won't play with him because 'ew yucky boys' lol.

But yeah, I def want them to gain independence as separate people not just twins :/ it's a tough call.

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

I don't have twins, but I'm married to a twin.  My MIL had my DH and my SIl put in seperate classes.  Her reasoning was she wanted them to interact with the other kids.  Apparently when they were little they would play only with each other if they were togather. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kesster
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Thanks :) I agree with you and squeekers. I think my girls need the comfort of each other cus they're going into a new environment but come 1st grade I think I'll separate them and see how it goes.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

My friend keot her twins together in K but then had them separated after that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM
My twins are together in kindergarten. They are fraternal but have also been together since they were born. They are good together but can work very independently. The teacher said you wouldn't even think they were twins. They don't always play with each other and she always separates them for work.

They are doing great. I'm glad I kept them together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wanntawn
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

In grade school I knew twins, one was in my class, the other in another class and they hated it! The next year their mother put them both back into the same class, which was mine and they loved it! Yes they did hangout more together that way, but they were just that close and really wanted and needed each other like that. They didn't just play with each other though, all of us would hangout. Now I have twins myself and we are choosing to homeschool them so they will always be in the same class. :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM
the school will want them in separate classes. If you want different, you will have to push for it. the school prefers twins in different classes so there is different homework and no way for Iris to do June's hmwk. yes,yes, I know your girls would NEVER do that.....but it's always possible, mom. and that's why the school will want them in different classes
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Depends on the school. Ours gave us the choice.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

the school will want them in separate classes. If you want different, you will have to push for it. the school prefers twins in different classes so there is different homework and no way for Iris to do June's hmwk. yes,yes, I know your girls would NEVER do that.....but it's always possible, mom. and that's why the school will want them in different classes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kesster
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Quoting M4LG5:

My twins are together in kindergarten. They are fraternal but have also been together since they were born. They are good together but can work very independently. The teacher said you wouldn't even think they were twins. They don't always play with each other and she always separates them for work.

They are doing great. I'm glad I kept them together.

Thanks for the fellow twin-mom insight :)

I'm confident that they'll do ok in a shared class, as they're both kinda into their own things these days. thanks for the tip about the teacher separating them for work, I'll def ask for that :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN