Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Safe Food from a Safe Company

Posted by   + Show Post

All of this labeling about hamburger.  I wish that they would just leave well enough alone.  Too much media craziness over something that has been safe and healthy for years.  I would like to have the lean textured beef in our kid's school lunches.  At least we know that it is healthy and safe for them to eat.

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd be happy to. Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB or "pink slime") is fatty beef trimmings that have been washed in ammonia to kill E.Coli and salmonella. Fatty beef trimmings are liquified and the protein is extracted to get a lean beef product. These trimmings are also especially susceptible to E.Coli and salmonella contamination. Before the ammonia process, these trimmings were only used in pet food and cooking oil - not beef for human consumption. This wouldn't be so bad if the process did kill all E.Coli and salmonella, but since 2005, LFTB contaminated with E.Coli has been found 3 times and salmonella 48 times. Two of these contaminations were in 26,888 lb batches - that's a lot of meat. More contaminations might have been found if the USDA was testing LFTB like it tests other meat, but for years it wasn't. The salmonella contaminations have led LFTB to be temporarily banned from school lunches 3 times in 3 years. From 2005-2009, the school lunch program's testing of beef found LFTB testing positive for salmonella in 36 out of 1,000 tests, compared to the average of 9 out of 1,000 from the other suppliers.

I know that not every cleaning process can be 100% effective, but if the company believes that ammonia works so well, why hide it on labels? They asked the USDA to classify it as a processing agent, which means it doesn't have to be listed. Also, the name "pink slime" didn't come from the media, it came from a USDA microbiologist.

I admit to sticking my head in the sand about a lot of potentially dangerous things out there, but the reason I care about this is because it's only a small part of a larger problem. LFTB was created because there is so much bacterial contamination in meat, which is a result of the practices used by the livestock industry. So many antibiotics are fed to cattle and poultry that we have antibiotic-resistant superbugs. Bacteria seeps into groundwater and infects fruits and vegetables. Not just antibiotics but hormones and other drugs, like Tylenol, caffeine, and antidepressants, are given to animals all so they will grow as big as possible in the shortest amount of time. If public outrage can get rid of LFTB, it can get rid of these other harmful practices too. It's the only way it'll ever change.

Quoting Barabell:

Could you share some of the results of your research too?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

No, because I've read articles and research about it.

mmc_mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

@hanna...hmmmm...wondering if you even eat or like hamburger, sausage, or any other type of processed meat....deli meat?  are you vegan? just curious...that's fine if you are...i really don't care.  I believe in the many scientists that have approved this product...the millions of people that have eaten  it and have not ootten sick ....i definatly don't hve the time to grow a garden or tend to livestock...i'd rather my purchased products be puffed with ammonia hydroxide than laying in someone's dirty laundry basket at a farmer's market.  If you are a meat eater...how will you feel when our beef comes from Australia?  An American Hamburger from another country....hopefully not. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian. I don't eat sausage, hot dogs, or deli meat. Not sure why you're asking if you "really don't care"... As for millions of people having eaten it and not gotten sick...millions of people rode in cars before seat belts, does that mean we should all stop wearing seat belts? I don't have time to grow a garden or tend livestock either, and I don't buy my meat at a farmers market. And if the only beef in America does come from another country (as if the meat industries don't have lobbies preventing that from ever happening), as long as it's being held to the same or better standards for quality and safety as meat from this country, I don't have a problem with it.

Quoting mmc_mommy:

@hanna...hmmmm...wondering if you even eat or like hamburger, sausage, or any other type of processed meat....deli meat?  are you vegan? just curious...that's fine if you are...i really don't care.  I believe in the many scientists that have approved this product...the millions of people that have eaten  it and have not ootten sick ....i definatly don't hve the time to grow a garden or tend to livestock...i'd rather my purchased products be puffed with ammonia hydroxide than laying in someone's dirty laundry basket at a farmer's market.  If you are a meat eater...how will you feel when our beef comes from Australia?  An American Hamburger from another country....hopefully not. 

sandie66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If it tatses good and you like it then eat it. If you don't then don't eat it, but I am seriously sick of everyone telling us what is bad and what is good for us, especially the government. This is the same stuff we've all been eating all of our lives. Nothing has changed. If everything was so bad like the government and PETA and everyone else wants us to believe, then it's a wonder I've lived this long.

You know it's gotten bad when my 10 year old nephew won't eat any fast food because of the pink slime pictures, and thinking that they pee in the pickle buckets. This kid can even tell you how many calories a Whopper has. A 10  year old, who is as thin as a rail, shouldn't even be worried about calories, but he believes everything he sees on the internet. And we all know if it's on the internet, it must be true (rolling my eyes).

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I don't like the government telling us what's good and bad for us either, I think we should make our own choices about that. But we can't make choices if we're not informed of what is in the food we're buying, and that's the issue here. Also, this isn't "the same stuff we've been eating all our lives" - LFTB is only 10 years old.

I'm sorry you're worried about your nephew, but I don't think that just because he's young he shouldn't care about his health.

Quoting sandie66:

If it tatses good and you like it then eat it. If you don't then don't eat it, but I am seriously sick of everyone telling us what is bad and what is good for us, especially the government. This is the same stuff we've all been eating all of our lives. Nothing has changed. If everything was so bad like the government and PETA and everyone else wants us to believe, then it's a wonder I've lived this long.

You know it's gotten bad when my 10 year old nephew won't eat any fast food because of the pink slime pictures, and thinking that they pee in the pickle buckets. This kid can even tell you how many calories a Whopper has. A 10  year old, who is as thin as a rail, shouldn't even be worried about calories, but he believes everything he sees on the internet. And we all know if it's on the internet, it must be true (rolling my eyes).

mmc_mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

i'm sorry if iupset youwith the vegan thing...Our family loves hamburger and steak and all of that stuff and still respect the choices of others.  As for beef being washed in ammonia...i don't believe I saw that scientific article.  From the intormaiton I have read...LFTB is lean beef w/out fat...and it is used to grind into a 50/50% hamburger to control the lean-ness of it...

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

As a very simple definition of LFTB, sure, it's lean beef, because the fat has been liquefied and separated. The meat is also treated with ammonia to kill bacteria. If you'd like to read more about LFTB, here's a newspaper article: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/the-pink-menace/?hp

Quoting mmc_mommy:

i'm sorry if iupset youwith the vegan thing...Our family loves hamburger and steak and all of that stuff and still respect the choices of others.  As for beef being washed in ammonia...i don't believe I saw that scientific article.  From the intormaiton I have read...LFTB is lean beef w/out fat...and it is used to grind into a 50/50% hamburger to control the lean-ness of it...

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree! I have a problem with several foods the govt say is safe not just LFTB (pink slime). I also think that products that contain genetically modified corn or soy not be allowed to say "natural" on their product label.

Personally, I think stricter labeling with ALL ingredients need to be listed. We as Americans have the right to know and then be able to choose what we buy. The Govt allows too many manufactures to make crap but label it natural so we are fooled into thinking what we are buying is good for you when it is definitely NOT. Ingredients like ammonia, chlorine and GMO products should be listed clearly!

I also think that products should have a required list (like the ones for allergies) that clearly says: contains artificial coloring, preservatives, GMO, ammonia, chlorine, etc. If the food is washed with it or soaked in it to kill bacteria then I should have the right to know my chicken or beef is not all natural! If my cheerio box is sprayed with a preservative to keep it fresh then I have a right to know it is not Healthy and wholesome goodness like it says!

To me the BS labeling needs to stop. The govt should not get to decide what gets disclosed and what doesn't on my food that I am paying for! If it is in there even in trace amounts I have the right to know! Just like the box says (product has been manufactured in a place that contains nuts) I have the right to know that my product has been plumped up with a solution or been washed with ammonia.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't like the government telling us what's good and bad for us either, I think we should make our own choices about that. But we can't make choices if we're not informed of what is in the food we're buying, and that's the issue here. Also, this isn't "the same stuff we've been eating all our lives" - LFTB is only 10 years old.

I'm sorry you're worried about your nephew, but I don't think that just because he's young he shouldn't care about his health.

Quoting sandie66:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmc_mommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

So to reply to your "opinion article" here is one that I found in favor of LFTB and the safety of the product

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/01/cleverly-manipulated-public-opinion-trumps-real-science-again/

mmc_mommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM

In response to labeling....I agree that LFTB should be labeled even tho' you are actualling saying that there is beef in your beef....but this is a bigger issue!  I don't believe that my hamburber buns or sandwich bread has the ingrediet Ammonium Hydroxide on it but it is used as a leavening agent...there are tons of food items were ammonium hydroxide is used but never placed on the package as an incredient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)