Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ask the Expert: Your bedwetting questions answered!

Posted by   + Show Post

Thank you so much to our expert for answering our questions! We are no longer taking questions, but be sure to read through all the answers.

Does your child wet the bed? Does your son or daughter still have daytime accidents? Whether your kid isa regular bedwetter, or just has occasional accidents, we're sure you're eager to learn how to stop it!

We're excited to announce that Renee Mercer will be joining us to answer all your bedwetting questions!

Renee is a pediatric nurse practitioner who specializes in treating children with bedwetting problems. She is author of "Seven Steps to Nighttime Dryness: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Bedwetting" and owner and founder of Bedwetting Store.

Renee will be in the group from April 9 to 20 to answer your questions.

Post your questions now in the replies below!

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
lynettemommie4
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My son is 9 and has been a bedwetter since he was potty trained. We have restricted liquids. woke him up in the middle of the night. He isn't too bad right now. maybe a few nights every few weeks that i know of. He has been waking up really early and taking a bath and putting clean clothes on. My youngest wets the bed on occasion. she is five.

e_massa83
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM

My son is 6 and is still wetting the bed. it wont happen every night but it happens a lot. it seems like he will be dry for a week maybe even two and then he will wet every night for a week. i cut the drinks off and make him go to the bathroom before he goes to bed but he still wets. Just wondering if i should be worried. I myself had a bed wetting problem till i was about 11 then was put on this nasal spray medicine (not sure what it was called) and after that didn't have any more problems. any advice or suggestions would be very helpful. thanks.

myerslisa2
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:54 AM
My dd will be 7 in June. She was dry at night from the time she was 3 until she was 5 and then started wetting the bed again.

Almost every night for almost 2 years, how do I get her back to not wetting the bed?

Added: We've ruled out medical issues. We cut her drinks off a couple hours before bed. I've even woke her up during the night to pee and she still wets. She's told me before that she just doesn't want to get up night so I just don't know what so do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorililly
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

my boy is 2 be 3 the end of next month. He kind of does well during the day. sometimes he will still go and hide and poops in his underwear.. at night before bed i make him go potty but he still wakes up in the middle of the night after he pee's or he will get in my bed and fall back to sleep and pees in my bed. even if i take him to the potty in the middle of the night he will still pee.. how do i get him to go thought the night.. also working on the potty while out..

My friends little girl is 3 and she yells when her mom puts her on the potty and will not even try. how can she get her to potty train if she throws fits.and also she likes to play with her poop when she poops in underwaer or a diaper., how do you get her to stop.

sarah7181
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
My two older kids are 4 & 5. Both of them will wet while in a sound sleep. in the past we've tried reward charts to keep dry. My daughter was ble to keep herself from sleeping, and thus stayed dry. but the next night she fell into a deep sleep from exhauston and soaked everything. We do have a history of late setters, my brother and DHS brother. Advise? I have two more I'm gonna have to potty train at some point, and id love to not have four wetting thru the night.
Christyabbey
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Mine is a little older (13) wets nightly. I bought him depends. he refuses to wear them.  No liquids after 4:30.  he is so used to it he doesn't even smell it. He won't change his bedding and will take a shower and lay back in his wet bed. I don't know what to do. 

Kayser3207
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM

My 6 year old has been potty trained for years. Never had an accident. Now all of a sudden she's having several accidents a day. Doctor told me she was healthy and I've asked on many occasions if something was bothering her. There haven't been any changes at all to our family or routine, so I cannot understand why she's wetting herself all the time. What do I do?

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My child's dr.  gave us a perscription for bed wetting.  (mimics the hormone) How safe is this medication?  I am not giving it.  He admitted that bedwetting is just nusiance and it will continue again once my child stops taking it.  I am just curious what your opinion is. 

Renee_Mercer
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quoting aetrom:

My youngest (3) seems to be wanting to night train. He wakes up halfway through the night crying after he wets (or cries once he wets himself I do not know) - around 2? Then cries and wants his pull up off and sleeps the rest of the night and pees again around 8am. I am getting tired of taking the pull up off and would love to move him to the next step. What is your suggestion for doing that?
Knowing when he is wet is a positive indicator for nighttime training.  You could try taking off the pull-ups and using a waterproof overlay pad on top of his sheet.  He may be able to sense the wetting more quickly from cloth underwear than he does from pull-ups  If he does cry out when he is wetting, take him to the bathroom even if it seems that he is already wet.  His body can begin to associate wetting with walking to the bathroom.If you find that he continues to wet after a couple weeks or this becomes frustrating, going back to pull-ups for a few more months is ok.

Renee_Mercer
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cueballsmom:

Here's mine. I have a family history of late bedwetters (my bro is 21 and I have suspicion). My dds are 8 & 6. Occasionally they still wet the bed. No doctor I've talked to has offered anything other than "they'll out grow it ". Any thing I can try to help them stop?

If occasionally means 1-2 times a month, making sure they urinate twice in the hour before bed, drink most of their liquids during the day and have regular bowel movements is probably fine.  If occasionally means several times a week, using a bed wetting alarm to sense the wetting and alert them is a quick and effective way to become 100% dry.  Kids with intermittent wetting can often stay dry on the nights they can "hold everything". They wet on nights they should get up to urinate but don't- because they haven't learned how to do this yet.  Bed wetting alarms speed up that development.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)