Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask the Expert: Your bedwetting questions answered!

Posted by   + Show Post

Thank you so much to our expert for answering our questions! We are no longer taking questions, but be sure to read through all the answers.

Does your child wet the bed? Does your son or daughter still have daytime accidents? Whether your kid isa regular bedwetter, or just has occasional accidents, we're sure you're eager to learn how to stop it!

We're excited to announce that Renee Mercer will be joining us to answer all your bedwetting questions!

Renee is a pediatric nurse practitioner who specializes in treating children with bedwetting problems. She is author of "Seven Steps to Nighttime Dryness: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Bedwetting" and owner and founder of Bedwetting Store.

Renee will be in the group from April 9 to 20 to answer your questions.

Post your questions now in the replies below!

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Renee_Mercer
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Your son would defintely benefit from a bedwetting alarm to help him learn how to wake up to a full bladder.  Teens feel hopeless and act like they don't care because they don't know what they can do differently.  Giving him a tool such as a bedwetting alarm will help his body put together the brain-bladder connection.  In the beginning, he may sleep through it or not know what to do when it sounds.  Go to his room and insure that he is getting up and walking to the bathroom.  Over a few weeks, his body will learn to do this independently.  The Rodger wireless alarm is a good choice for teens, or the wearable Malem Ultimate. http://bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-alarms-for-teen-boys.html

Quoting Christyabbey:

Mine is a little older (13) wets nightly. I bought him depends. he refuses to wear them.  No liquids after 4:30.  he is so used to it he doesn't even smell it. He won't change his bedding and will take a shower and lay back in his wet bed. I don't know what to do. 

Renee_Mercer
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Sometimes a multi-pronged approach will help.  Using the alarm and the medication at the same time may be effective.  Remember that most kids sleep through the loud sound of the bedwetting alarm initially so you will have to go to his room and wake him when you hear the alarm.  Have him turn off the alarm and make sure he walks to the bathroom.  You didn't say how old he was when you used the alarm, but if it's been a year or so, you may see a different result.

Quoting jmommy:

My son is 9 and wets the bed every night. I've tried the alarm, waking him up to use the bathroom, and limiting his drinks. We've seen 2 urologists and at the moment he's on medicine for that. I don't really see much of an improvement either.

Renee_Mercer
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM

5% of 12 year olds still struggle with bedwetting and you're doing the right thing by not making a big deal over it.  However, I'm sure that he would like to make some progress in staying dry.   Research suggests that the most effective cure for bedwetting continues to be moisture sensing bedwetting alarms.  There are many styles available and you might try one of the wireless ones to help alert him when wetting occurs.  The wireless models are small and comfortable and require him getting out of bed to turn them off.  While he is up, he can walk to the bathroom.  Over time, his body begins to associate a full bladder with getting up.  http://bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-alarms-for-teen-boys.html

Quoting mrgetinold:

I have a almost 12 yr old his sheets are wet less ( but is still in a pull up at nights is wet most nights) we limit his drinks after 7, and makes sure he goes before bed, we have tried the potty pager alarm he felt uncomfortable and woke everyone in the house up when he needed a change, his dr said we could try meds for this which kinda scared me, so we are on the wait and see if he grows out of it,and if his sheets are wet i just wash and not make a big deal over it, how common is this for a 12 yr old to have? And do u have any advice for me to help my son thank u

Between2Rams
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My son turned 6 at the beginning of this month.  We potty trained him at three, and he's fine during the day but he has never had a dry night.  He wears a pull up every night but I am afraid he will grow out of them before he stops wetting the bed!  We limit drinks after dinner, and after his brother was born I tried to get him up to pee every time I got up to feed the baby.  This didn't work at all: he did pee every time, but he also still wet the pull up.

My mom's theory is that since he's never been inconvenienced by a sheet change in the middle of the night or lying in wet sheets and blankets, he has no reason *not* to wet the bed.  We also have to remind him in the morning to take his pull up off right away and change into underwear.  He doesn't seem to mind being in a "diaper"

I've thought about getting a waterproof mattress pad and trying it out with no pull up, but we don't have our own washer and dryer in our apartment and it's just not feasible for us to be dragging his sheets and blankets to the laundromat every day.  What can we do?

27goingon60
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

What if an 8 yr old girl is a deep sleeper and sleeps thru 2 different potty alarms i have gotten and ive tryed waking her at night and she wont use the potty and still pees at night? i watch her liquids too.

lupie_ladybug
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

My son is 4(going to be 5 in June.) He has problems during the day and at night but also has ADHD and ODD. His psychologist says that it is not uncommon for ADHD patients to experience accidents even frequently. I have been trying with him and not making a big deal out of it at night but the daytime has got to stop. I can't stand having to wash evterything all the time and the urine smells and makes him smell. I just don't know what to do and he would not wear one of those alarms, I can pretty much guarantee that. Other than blaming it on his disorders, the drs haven't given me much as far as advice except to make it a big issue. When he wets the bed have him get up at night and get a shower, change, etc. I've limited his drinks(he also has an obsession with drinking and has gone as far as stealing water from the sinks and using decor around the house as cups lol(that was only once though.) I've tried the positive reinforcement and coaching routine which has helped some but not entirely. He is so hyper/on the go constantly and the defiance from the ODD makes him stubborn that he just doesn't realize to go before he's ready to pee on himself. Anyone have these issues?? Any advice??

-LB

jfamily2010
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

My 6 yr old, Joey wets the bed at night only. He wears pull ups of underjams to prevent this, but it wasen't always like this, before we moved in with my mom in December of 2011, He didn't wear pull ups or underjams he just peed his underwear because my hubby said that he was just being lazy and not using the bathroom. Joey is hard to get to sleep, but when he does go to sleep, he is hard to wake up. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night to wake him up and everyone else. (I have a 1 yr old baby & a 4 yr old daughter with speical needs that both need my attention)

My mom is getting fustrated with this and my grandpa said I should just keep him in the same wetty underwear all day going to school, but I think that is gross and smelly. But they said he will feel bad if he gets picked up and if he feels bad enough he will stop wetting the bed. I do not think this is true as he is my middle child out of 4 children and none of them had this problem.However his father had a bedwetting problem when he was a kid and he was on medication. I don't wan medication for Joey.

How does having low self esteem help you stop wetting the bed? What causes a child to wet the bed? Is is lazyness? Could it be that he is jelous or need more attention?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
AngelRT
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

My daughter is 6 almost 7 (June 2) and she still wets the bed at least 5 nights a week! We have tried so many things and NOTHING has worked! She is a VERY heavy sleeper and even sleep walks! I am not sure what else to try! 

Things I KNOW we have tried: 

No drinks after 6pm (bedtime is 8)

No pull ups/panties only

Waking her up at least once a night 

waking her up every 2 hours

Disciplining her (THIS I did not like but was finally out of options) 

Bribing her with rewards and money! 

Cant remember what else right now but this is beginning to get hard for her. She cant even go stay at a friends house for fear of being made fun of. :( 

Thanks for any help or advice you may be able to give!

Lexi27
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Put him to bed.
When u go to bed few hrs later , .... U go in his room and carry him to bath room . Keep him half asleep no bright lights snd put him on the potty, run the water in the sink and it will stimulate him to pee, be hearing the water, u can also hsve him bend at the waist it will compress his bladder snd should empty it. Hsve him sit he's little, mske sure he doesnt fall asleep dont leave him carry him back to bed, sweet dreams!
Ur up grab him, his bladder just might not be strong to hold, limit drinks before bed, also he could have a u.t.i. See the dr.
My dad woke me , nite job stay ed dry.
At 35 diagnosed 4oz. Bladder highly sensitive, birth defect. After yrs of parents complianing, mom feels really.guilty.
Watch ur son anf fluids - u will answer ur own questions.
He may be holding it too much in tbe day time, watch him, watch watch.....
Best wishes, p.s.mentally it makes him feel dirty and bad, upset. He is not happy either!:-(

tickled_4pink
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Just hearing that other moms are having trouble with older kids makes me feel less alone in my problem. My son is 5, will be 6 at the end of the year, and he's had one dry night his entire post-potty training days. He was day trained at 2 years old and didn't have much trouble in the day. Nighttime has been a totally different issue! 

I've been told he'll "grow out of it" and it wouldn't bother me quite so much except that it's now bothering him. He gets upset that he has to still wear diapers at night like "a baby", when he's "a big boy". I have tried restricting liquids after dinner, waking him up a few times during the night to use the bathroom and even letting him lay in his wet (but waterproof) sheets until he wakes up. None of those things worked because he's such a heavy sleeper he doesn't notice he's laying in a puddle and waking him during the night means he's tired in the day and starts to fall asleep in school around lunchtime.

What should I do? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)