Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this make me a horrible mom? piog Update in Red...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've decided not to do Easter baskets this year. My kids are 7, 5 and 4. I am tired of wasting money on stuff that winds up broken or laying on the floor. I also decided not to take them to see the Easter bunny because I don't want to shell out 30 bucks for 4 wallet size pictures. I just had to spend 100 on school pics. Does all this make me the worst mom ever? I feel like it right now but I don't want to give in to them anymore either. I want my kids to grow up responsible and not to think they get whatever they want in life. They have to earn it.

Ok so going off an idea from another poster. I had a talk with my kids just now. I explained what Easter really means and that they won't be getting Easter baskets this year or having their picture made with the Easter bunny. I told them that tonight we will go to the dollar store and use the money that would have been used to purchase the other things to buy food to take to our local shelter. We are also going to put together 3 Easter baskets full of items like soap, shampoo, toothbrush etc.. to give to the homeless people for Easter. THEY LOVED THE IDEA! I did keep stressing the fact they won't be getting anything for Easter but that they could pick out a coloring book or some candy at the store. I feel so much more at peace with this decision. Thanks to everyone that replied!

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think that is a little young to stop Easter baskets. I also don't believe that kids should have to earn holiday stuff (Easter, Christmas, birthdays). Just me.

Does that make you the worst mom ever. Absolutely NOT! It's your house, your rules, your kids.

MommySally
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
That doesn't make you a horrible mom, its expensive having kids in school and Easter is just another excuse to buy toys for your kids. I don't see how the resurrection of Jesus has anything to do with candy and bunnies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I think you are being a little harsh. They are kids and they don't and won't understand your thinking.

Getting a choc bunny and a basket is like $10 bucks for all 3 kids. Why is tht spoiling them? That is letting them enjoy being kids. There are other ways to teach them monetary value and to appreciate their life.

Now about the pics I am totally onboard; we have never done bunny pics. Total waste of $$
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

No. But I've talked to many friends about this and now they do easter baskets with things they can use, like a pool towel, new bathing suit etc. My daughter is getting an extreme dot to dot book (awesome for kids 6-10!), book, chocolate easter bunny. I don't make the baskets like presents at Xmas or Birthday, just some fun stuff. I try to shy away from a lot of candy too. It isn't worth the dental bill. My kids are looking forward to Easter and finding a basket, so I want them to enjoy the fun of it still while they are young.

momyarb
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

We're not doing baskets. We are doing egg hunt, though. My son is 5. His birthday was three weeks ago. I think it's ok :)
Donate to a church instead. 

momyarb
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Or, have them pick out canned food to give to a food bank. Not totally related, except that it is giving instead of receiving, which I'm sure you could tie into the whole religious aspect.

Busymom2three
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM
That is actually a great idea!!

Quoting momyarb:

Or, have them pick out canned food to give to a food bank. Not totally related, except that it is giving instead of receiving, which I'm sure you could tie into the whole religious aspect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoCalBombshell
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I agree. Holiday things are more of a tradition than a treat or reward. But that's just my thoughts on the matter, and you make the decisions for your family NOT us!

Do they know they won't be getting baskets? If not, I would at least fill them in so they aren't upset when the time comes. I know if I didn't inform my kids that there would be no baskets, they would wonder what they had done wrong (they think the Easter Bunny has the same policy as Santa. LOL).

I think, if I had to stop doing baskets (which I would personally only consider for financial reasons) I would at least let them each pick out a candy bar or something. I love holidays, and their excitement over them, so I don't think I could just stop doing it altogether.

Quoting Cindy18:

Personally, I think that is a little young to stop Easter baskets. I also don't believe that kids should have to earn holiday stuff (Easter, Christmas, birthdays). Just me.

Does that make you the worst mom ever. Absolutely NOT! It's your house, your rules, your kids.

MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM
What she said.

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Busymom2three
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I do feel like it is a bit harsh. Let me give a little backstory though. My mom bought them pre made baskets the other day as a gift from her. The stuff that they just had to have was either broken or laying on the floor forgotten about by the next day. It just makes me sad that they have no respect for anything. They have gotten to the point they think they are entitled to whatever they want.( I know I am part of creating this mess) I want to turn them around before it is to late. I don't want some spoiled teenagers later on down the road. I am still taking them to the church tomorrow for the Easter egg hunt. It's not like I am totally ignoring Easter for them.

Quoting vermontmoms:

I think you are being a little harsh. They are kids and they don't and won't understand your thinking.

Getting a choc bunny and a basket is like $10 bucks for all 3 kids. Why is tht spoiling them? That is letting them enjoy being kids. There are other ways to teach them monetary value and to appreciate their life.

Now about the pics I am totally onboard; we have never done bunny pics. Total waste of $$

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)