Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Easter Egg Equity? Update

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Max
  • 216 Replies
4 moms liked this

When you have an egg hunt do you make rules for how many eggs each kid gets? 

When I taught younger kids, and we did a hunt at school, I was the only teacher that didn't. We had a discussion before hand about sharing and told the kids to keep an eye on each other baskets and when a classmate looked low to help them hunt before getting more for yourself. 

It worked out pretty well. Of course some kids ended up with more than others. But everyone would get a decent amount and none of the kids were ever upset. 

We will be having a family egg hunt tomorrow here. My four year old is the youngest. There are 4 other kids between 7 and 9. One of the nine year olds in particular has been super greedy in years past. Last year my little guy only got a couple and she couldn't even fit hers in the basket. He was happy with what he had though. 

He told me today he's worried he won't get any eggs because he's the littlest. My mom wants us to set a limit so the bigger kids won't get all the eggs before he can. But to me that reeks of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality where parents insulate kids from life disappointments and set them up with totally unrealistic expectations. 

What do you think? How do you handle it in your family?

We went ahead and just let nature take it's course. The same cousin who hoarded the eggs last year ended up with far more than anyone else. My little guy had the least by a long shot. But that's OK. He was happy with what he had and had a blast.

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
38 moms liked this
If you can color code the eggs. 4 yr old gets yellow eggs, 7yr old gets blue eggs, and so forth. If this can't be done you can start the 4yr old first then stagger the other starts by age (ie. 4yr starts first, then 7yr old, then 9yr old starts last)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
11 moms liked this
My Aunt used to have a huge family egg hunt each year. They let the younger kids go out 1-2 minutes before the older kids. Since you only have one little one I would let him got and get 3-4 before allowing the older kids out.

Sometimes we designated a "younger kids" area. That may work best, hide 4-5 in one corner and tell the kids they can't go there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When I've done mixed age hunts in the past I did a few different things as VermontMoms outlined already!

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Only one kid here, and I don't remember having set limits or any problems as a child. But I think it wouldn't hurt to set a general limit - such as "only what can fit in your basket".

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
When we have egg hunts we tell the kids they each get a set amount of eggs. Last year it was 10 per kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeLynn7
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a HUGE family & when the kids do the egg hung we always let the younger kids start first. Luckily all of the kids have been really good with it & the older ones help the younger ones out if they are looking low!

bmw29
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this
This

Quoting AubreeLynn7:

We have a HUGE family & when the kids do the egg hung we always let the younger kids start first. Luckily all of the kids have been really good with it & the older ones help the younger ones out if they are looking low!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
What I have taken to doing for the grandkids is I write their names on their eggs & those are the only ones they can pic up so far it has worked. I would set a limit though to make it fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof754
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM
4 moms liked this
Honestly, my kids don't care how many eggs they get cause we do half candy and the other half of the eggs are money. The candy all goes in a bowl and they share it. And the money they share equally among themselves. They do it on their own and have never been told to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iluvjandkplus8
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM
We do 2 kinds of eggs- one son gets baseball and one soccer. This year I'm going to do a bunch of colored also and let them get whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)