Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apparently I have the wierdest rules

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
  • 359 Replies
16 moms liked this
I take my 5 yr old dd to a friends house she has a 2 kids my dds age.....neway.....the boy brought out toy guns (that didn't look very fake) out to play with and Emmey gets up to play and I immediately stop her. I do not allow her to play guns or weapons of any sort. No type of pretent play like that. Thats how kids accidentally get shot. We live in the DEEP south everyone has guns here. What if they find one and something bad happens ill never forgive myself. I want my daughter to know that guns and knives and bows n arrows are serious business and someone could really get hurt thats they ARE NOT toys.....Not to be played with. and their mom says god u have the wierdest rules let the girl play
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM
65 moms liked this
Yeah. I tried that. They just pretend sticks are guns. If there's that many guns around where you live, maybe you should teach gun safety early on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahtessa
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM
31 moms liked this

You are NOT weird and I agree with you. Guns are weapons, NOT toys, and children should learn that EVERY gun they see is REAL and could be loaded. This along with gun safety saves lives. It's when children normalize playing with guns that accidents happen with real weapons. :(

sarahtessa
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM
7 moms liked this

Sticks do not resemble guns, and there is no mistaking a stick for a gun or a gun for a stick.

Quoting melissa632:

Yeah. I tried that. They just pretend sticks are guns. If there's that many guns around where you live, maybe you should teach gun safety early on.

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM
16 moms liked this

I had that rule for awhile until he turned everything into guns LOL. I allow nerf guns and they are learning real gun safety with my dad. (who bought them BB guns). I think it is important to teach them gun safety regardless if they are around guns or not.

nysa76
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM
5 moms liked this

I never allowed toy weapons.  They ended up using sticks and the like.  That was ok with me because it was obvious they weren't real.  We started teaching gun safety very young.  My kids have grown up around real guns they needed to know what to do if they ever came across one anywhere they went. 

Busymom2three
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
No you don't! I have the same set of rules at my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennsbowsnsuch
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM
5 moms liked this
I wont allow sticks as guns fingers as guns NOTHING. If I see it there are consequences normally time out and another small talk about why we dont play that way....
jennsbowsnsuch
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM
6 moms liked this
Shooting people is not a game
melissa632
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
She said NO TYPE of pretend play. Pretending a stick is a gun is a type of pretend play. The act of shooting is still going on.

Quoting sarahtessa:

Sticks do not resemble guns, and there is no mistaking a stick for a gun or a gun for a stick.

Quoting melissa632:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM
20 moms liked this
I dont mind playing with toy guns I just make a rule, we dont shoot at people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)