Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apparently I have the wierdest rules

I take my 5 yr old dd to a friends house she has a 2 kids my dds age.....neway.....the boy brought out toy guns (that didn't look very fake) out to play with and Emmey gets up to play and I immediately stop her. I do not allow her to play guns or weapons of any sort. No type of pretent play like that. Thats how kids accidentally get shot. We live in the DEEP south everyone has guns here. What if they find one and something bad happens ill never forgive myself. I want my daughter to know that guns and knives and bows n arrows are serious business and someone could really get hurt thats they ARE NOT toys.....Not to be played with. and their mom says god u have the wierdest rules let the girl play
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (311-320):
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I have a twelve yr old with a literal arsenal of nerf guns and a tot who has usurped a couple of the smaller one....doesn't bother me as they are brightly colorored? The only "rule" is the darts have to be picked up immediately due to choking hazards.....my twelve yr old also play with pretend evildoers with any stick,rod,or any other elongated object he can find....bet tot follows in those foot steps. You can tell a child no toy guns but it doesn't keep them from making a trigger finger. Not saying your rules are "wierd" I understand them completely (especially where you and I live. but grandpa has his locked in a box and older sons father also keeps his "defense" closet locked tight
Maybe that should be a question you ask before playdates? Do your children play with toy guns? Before accepting the play date if you feel that strongly about it?
BusyB4thm
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I do not let my son play with toy guns..i dont even let him pretend hes shooting things with his hand as play....a friend of mine gave him a toy gun as a gift and i wouldnt let my son open it...i pulled him aside and asked for the gift receipt because i dont allow him to play with guns but thank you for the gift

TigressLily
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I won't allow my DD nor any future children I may have to play with any sort of toy weapons. I respect you for your rules, some people don't realize that those things aren't toys and don't realize that it can indeed play a major factor in teen crime.

candycanealane
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I grew up having toy guns and playing cowboys and cowgirls.  My mom also had a real gun and I knew not to touch it.  Sometimes I think society goes to far with what is and isnt appropriate.  Look at all the fun games we use to play and we used our imaginations and we turned out fine.  My daughter has a cap gun she knows its a toy, you dont shoot at people.  When my daughter goes to someones house I know them.  I know if they have guns in their house or not and we have talked about it.  Its all about parenting and knowing the people where child hangs out.

Lisa009
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I can understand you not wanting your son to have toy guns.

But on the other topic, studies have shown that children who have had a responsible adult teach them proper safety and use of a real gun are less apt to have a shooting accident and less apt to use it against another human. They learn early what a serious item it is and to NEVER point it at anyone loaded or not. I saw a study done some years back.

mum2boyz
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
With 3 boys in the house it's almost impossible (ok people don't take me literally here) to keep any type of toy weapon away! They have friends come over and they play star wars with light sabers, knights with swords, guns shooting zombies or play hunting. And yes the parents are well aware and allow it too. We have a rule of no pointing at people cuz in real life we wouldn't want to hurt our friends. I completely understand others rules and would respect it if a child came over that was not allowed to play with toy weapons. I had the same rule ..... Till i realized they will use anything and turn it into a toy weapon to GET THE BAD guys. Then i taught them about the dangers of the real thing and let them be kids. A great documentary to watch is "raising Cain" opened my eyes a lot about they way not only boys but children and their thinking.
maidjillian
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

It's not weird... I don't like gun toys either.  I'm in Texas- same thing, lots of guns.  However, you do need to teach her about gun safety.  My cousin loved playing shoot 'em up cowboy games.  When I was 6 I assumed all guns were just toys.  I found my grandmother's gun under her bed (this woman was crazy, lol) and I gave it to my cousin to play with because... he liked guns.  He was 2 years old.  THANKFULLY, my grandma saw me do this and stopped us.  I hate to think about what almost happened.

I probably would not stop my son from playing with guns at a friend's house.  But I would use it as an opportunity to teach that guns are real and dangerous and should only be used when one knows proper gun safety.  The closest thing to guns I have in our house are Nerf dart guns.  Other than that my boys' personalities aren't geared for gun play.  I think if they truly liked playing with guns I wouldn't ban it.  Studies show that boys who play with guns don't turn into violent adults and that boys need rough play....

jeaniedw83
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I don't let my son play with guns that look real either b/c we do have guns & I don't want him to think it's a toy. Sticks and things don't look real & they know that they are playing. Our guns are put up and not loaded but still I don't let him play like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mothernature
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

i believe kids get hurt with guns when they dont know the difference between a  real gun and a toy gun, pick up a real gun and its way heavier and usually looks different .....i let my kids play with toy weapons if they choose to and i let them handle bb guns ,knives and bows and have taught them how to use them or not to touch them depending on age, you need to world proof your child because you can't  always childproof your world.

Nichole0403
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM
If you teach your child right from wrong then you don't need to worry. My son has fake guns and he has also shot a .22 many times. It's the kids that don't get taught gun safety that you have to worry about, the ones that see a real gun not knowing what it is or what it does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN